1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More ESPN Insider Trade Talk, including Rocket mentions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Sep 17, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rox mentioned (again) about SAR and AD.

Standing pat might be Portland's best option
    By Chad Ford NBA Insider
    Updated: September 17 9:24 AM ET

Wouldn't it be nice to be the Lakers right about now?

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak is the type of guy who does his Christmas shopping in July. A hall of fame free-agent bargain power forward here. A top-flight veteran point guard there. Wrapped. Under the tree with two months to go before training camp.

Not everyone can be so lucky. While the majority of the league appears to be set for training camp in two weeks, a few stragglers are looking at their roster right now and cringing. No center. No power forward. No point guard. No playoffs.

On Tuesday, we took a look at seven homeless free agents still looking for a job. Today the focus shifts away from jobless players to four teams that still need to get their house in order before training camp begins in two weeks.

Portland Trail Blazers

The problem: A shake-up in the front office and a new penny-pinching philosophy by owner Paul Allen has stalled what was supposed to be a fairly major overhaul this summer. To date the Blazers have yet to sign a free agent, and have lost three key players -- Scottie Pippen, Arvydas Sabonis and Antonio Daniels. New GM John Nash has been in trade talks for the past month, but has been unable to close a deal because of concerns about bad contracts.

The solution: If the Blazers are just concerned with the bottom line, they'll probably do nothing. Rasheed Wallace's $17 million comes off the books next summer. Another $25 million comes off the books in 2005 when Dale Davis, Damon Stoudamire and Jeff McInnis hit free agency. If the Blazers don't throw too much money Zach Randolph's way two years from now, the Blazers could be $10-15 million under the cap in the summer of 2005.

If Allen expects the Blazers to compete in the West, something fairly dramatic has to be done. The top five teams in the West have all gotten significantly stronger. The team is still weak in the middle and at the point. If there is any truth to the rumors that the Blazers are holding up a deal that would bring Antonio Davis and Kenyon Martin to Portland for Rasheed Wallace and Dale Davis, they should jump on it. The deal won't help Paul Allen's wallet -- Davis has three years left on his deal and Martin wants a max extension -- but it does guarantee that the Blazers will stay competitive for a long, long time.

Utah Jazz

The problem: We knew that the loss of Karl Malone and John Stockton would be devastating, but who knew it would be this bad? GM Kevin O'Connor did his best this summer to land a top free agent, but the Jazz stuck out twice trying to snag a restricted free agent, and lost out on everyone else they pursued. They get an "A" for effort, but a "D" for the final result.

The solution: It isn't Keon Clark. Clark was the only significant addition to the Jazz this summer. While he will give them energy, shot blocking and much needed athleticism, he can't address either of the Jazz's biggest needs -- low-post scoring and point guard play. Had they landed Jason Terry, one of their problems would've been solved. Without Terry, the Jazz are in big trouble this season. The free-agent pool is essentially empty. The Jazz have a lot of flexibility with trades given that the team is still $15 million under the cap. But the key for O'Connor is getting players who aren't overpaid and who don't have too many years left on their contracts. As it stands, the Jazz will clear another $13.7 million next year when Clark and Greg Ostertag get off the books. They can afford to swallow one big contract, but not much else.

They've already made the calls to Atlanta, trying to pry away Shareef Abdur-Rahim. With the new ownership finally in place, will the Hawks be anxious to start cutting payroll and make a deal? If that doesn't work, the Jazz don't have many options. The Nets are trying to dump Dikembe Mutombo. The Raptors are shopping Antonio Davis. The Blazers are trying to move one long-term contract. It's doubtful the Jazz are interested in any of those trades. One option might be to dangle Ostertag as part of the deal now. Several teams like the Grizzlies and Knicks are still desperate for a center. Ostertag isn't much to look at, be he did average 9.2 ppg and 8.6 rpg in the playoffs last season. What about an Ostertag-for-Kurt Thomas-and-Charlie Ward deal? That would give the Knicks their big man and leave the Jazz with plenty of cap flexibility as Ward comes off the books next season. Another interesting option would be Ostertag and a future Jazz first-round pick for Stromile Swift and Brevin Knight. The Grizzlies have been insisting that they don't want to move Swift, but Ostertag size may make them think twice.

Atlanta Hawks

The problem: With the ownership of the team in limbo, the Hawks were grounded all summer. Their only significant free agency signing was Jacque Vaughn. While they did alright for themselves in the draft and appear to have Jason Terry locked up for the next three years, it won't be enough to dig them out of the cellar in the East.

The solution: Burn it down. The temptation to keep this crew together and try to make things work will be strong. It would be a mistake. This team isn't a championship contender. Could it make the playoffs? Possibly. But that's about it. If Belkin wants to win it all, it's time to move guys like Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed and even Abdur-Rahim if that's what it takes. Several teams are drooling over Rahim and a few are even interested in guys like Ratliff and Mohammed. If the Hawks can land young, promising talent, expiring contracts and draft picks in return, they should bite the bullet and do it.

Several weeks ago, Insider suggested that the Hawks move Abdur-Rahim to Houston for Eddie Griffin and Glen Rice (who's in the last year of his deal). We also suggested the Hawks move Ratliff, Mohammed and Chris Crawford to Memphis for Stromile Swift, Wesley Person and Brevin Knight (Person and Knight are in the last year of their deals). Both trades give the Hawks three coveted things: prospects (Griffin and Swift), lots of cap space (about $16 million next summer) and a shot at the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Here's one other option worth noting. The Sonics have been interested in Abdur-Rahim for years. A deal involcing Brent Barry, Vladimir Radmanovic, Jerome James and Joe Forte for Rahim works under the cap. While it doesn't clear as much cap space as the Houston deal, it gives the Hawks a player in Radmanovic, who could also be a star and gives them a shot, with the addition of Barry and James, of being respectable this season.

Indiana Pacers

The problem: The luxury tax. The Pacers are on the verge of it, and ownership doesn't want to pay it. Fear of the luxury tax already cost the team Brad Miller this summer and it's handcuffed what the team can do via free agency or trades. While Donnie Walsh and company feel that they're comfortable with the team they already have, it's no secret that they'd like to add some more backcourt help, especially at point guard. They haven't given up on Jamaal Tinsley, but know they need a decent veteran to help out during the team's playoff run.

The solution: Pacers sources claim that talk of them trading Ron Artest to Seattle are ridiculous (not to mention impossible because of Artest's base-year status). They also laugh off suggestions that they're going to let Al Harrington go without major compensation in return. But most GMs around the league believe strongly that the Pacers will try to move either Artest or Harrington in an attempt to change team chemistry.

If the Pacers are really talking to the Sonics, doesn't this trade make more sense? Brent Barry and Vladimir Radmanovic to Indiana for Al Harrington and Fred Jones. Barry's ability to swing between the one and the two is a perfect fit. That fact that he's in the last year of his contract doesn't hurt either. Radmanovic is a superb prospect who can fill in, at times, at both the three and the four. For the Sonics, Harrington gives them a player who's a better, more athletic fit at the four. Jones' athleticism in the backcourt will be a good fit behind Ray Allen and Antonio Daniels.

Around the League

The Toronto Star is reporting that the trade talk swirling around the Raptors, Blazers and Nets is dead. That might not, however, be the end of trade talk for Antonio Davis. The Star lists the Mavs and Rockets among the teams still interested in Davis. However, it's doubtful that either team works out a deal for Davis (and the $37 million left on his contract) before training camp begins.

The Mavs could offer Raef LaFrentz and Chris Mills for Davis and Michael Bradley. However, it could take another five weeks before the Mavs move Mills in a multi-player deal. Besides, while Mills would come off the books and LaFrentz makes about $4 million less than Davis, long term, it isn't much of a savings.

The Rockets could offer some sort of combo of Glen Rice and Kelvin Cato for Davis and someone like Lamond Murray. While that would give the Raptors significant cap savings, you're basically writing the season off if you swap Davis for Cato.

Mavs point guard Steve Nash can opt out of his contract next summer. He's already angling for a new deal as the season begins. While Nash said he'll focus on the season and not make any contract demands now (he'd be crazy too, he'd get less money if he did an extension because of cap rules), it is on his mind.

"If it's an easy thing, great," Nash told the Dallas Morning News. "If it becomes a difficult thing, I'll leave it all to Bill [Duffy, his agent]. I've done everything I can do. I've gotten better every year. I've gotten healthier every year. I've gotten fitter every year. Our team has gotten better every year. And in a lot of ways, I feel like I get younger every year. What more can I do? There's not much more that I can control."

Owner Mark Cuban says he wants Nash back.

"We love having Steve as a Maverick and hope we can work it out so he stays a Maverick until the day he retires," Cuban said.

At what price? The only two point guards in the league averaging more points and assists than Nash are Jason Kidd and Stephon Marbury. Both players make more than $13 million this season. Nash, on the other hand, is scheduled to make $5.75 million this year.

"How much better do you get at point guard?" Nash said. "Is there a huge difference-maker out there at point guard? If we had Jason Kidd, do you think we'd be a championship team all of the sudden? I don't necessarily think so, as great as Jason is. I just wonder where they're going to go if they don't keep me."

It looks like the reports that the Magic were signing Donnell Harvey were premature. Florida Today reported on Tuesday that the Magic would sign Harvey to a one-year deal. The Orlando Sentinel is reporting today that the Magic are interested in Harvey, but they're facing stiff competition from the Nuggets and Wizards.

Magic general manager John Gabriel told the Sentinel there's more work to do to land Harvey.

"But I would think we got a chance," Gabriel said.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You also forgot to mention this:

The Rockets could offer some sort of combo of Glen Rice and Kelvin Cato for Antonio Davis and someone like Lamond Murray. While that would give the Raptors significant cap savings, you're basically writing the season off if you swap Davis for Cato.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

SAR is just espn's idea of a good trade. there isn't actually anything there.

I would trade rice a cato for AD, even with his bad contract. AD's contract is up in a couple of years. that money can go to yao's max deal. and by that time griff should be a great defencive PF.

i would think that AD would start. that leaves mo to back-up center. i would've said griff, but let him learn one position at a time.

we should look like this:

yao-moT
    AD-griff
    murry-griff
    cat-pike
    steve-mooch

#3 smoothie, Sep 17, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  4. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

5. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Do this!
    Houston trades: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Antonio Davis (13.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 35.7 minutes)
    PG Alvin Williams (13.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PG Lamond Murray (13.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    SF Morris Peterson (14.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    C Menk Bateer (0.8 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.3 apg in 3.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +6.7 ppg, +2.1 rpg, and +3.7 apg.

Toronto trades: PF Antonio Davis (13.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 35.7 minutes)
    PG Alvin Williams (13.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    PG Lamond Murray (13.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.9 minutes)
    SF Morris Peterson (14.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    C Menk Bateer (0.8 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.3 apg in 3.8 minutes)
    Toronto receives: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 62 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 82 games)
    Change in team outlook: -6.7 ppg, -2.1 rpg, and -3.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
    C - Ming / Bateer
    PF - Davis / Eddy / MoT
    SF - Peterson / Nachbar
    SG - Murray / Pike / AG
    PG - Williams / Wilks
    Now this team looks Dangerous!

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If there were a deal IF then it would make sense to happen BEFORE training camp.

If there were a deal IF then might it also include JYD?

IF (either/both) these two were added to Rox roster then toughness in the JVG sense would be added.

Despite Ford's constant suggestions about SAR to Rox I don't see him as JVG-tough to make the difference necessary.

7. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

It could even be more "dangerous" if you added our best player, Steve Francis (he's #3). :rolleyes: :D

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

I am always down with a trade where you eliminate 3 starters from a 43 win team and replace them with 3 starters on a 24 win team. Its a formula for success!

9. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Oh yeah, I forgot Little Stevie! I guess since it is not "his team" any more I omitted him SORRY. :p Ming - The other Franchise

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

One man's trash is Real GM's treasure....

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

not worth a new topic but related nonetheless.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...025&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

Davis won't be leaving Raptors anytime soon
    Another year with AD isn't a bad thing

DAVE FESCHUK
    TORONTO STAR

There's a rumour going around that Antonio Davis has played his last game for the Raptors. If Davis and his family bemoaned their four-season stay in the hinterland as much as we've been led to believe — if dangerous overexposure to "O Canada" has scarred his two children as badly as he once feared it would — then on behalf of the northland's citizenry I'd like to wish him well on his return to the U.S. and say: "Enjoy the spike in the murder rate!"

I'd like to share that sentiment, but I probably won't. Because even though it has always appeared to be Davis's wish to leave town — and even though the Raptors will be trying to trade their power forward in the lead-up to training camp and perhaps beyond — it's getting unlikely that the outspoken veteran will begin the season anywhere but the Air Canada Centre.

The Raptors wouldn't be unhappy to commence with the extradition if they could import comparable value in return. But the essential numbers — the fact that Davis will turn 35 on Halloween but is still owed $37 million (all figures U.S.) on a contract that runs for three more seasons — are making it difficult for the parties to part ways.

But that, if you're a fan of this club, isn't a bad thing. Don't get me wrong: I would have lauded the proposed three-team deal that would have brought New Jersey's Dikembe Mutombo to Toronto.

(It's true that Mutombo is a 37-year-old offensive liability whose recently acquired nickname — "Me-Me" — speaks to his selfish streak. But his contract is a year shorter than Davis' and his defence is a ton more menacing.)

That deal, though — a shuffle that would have sent, among other players, Davis to Portland and Portland's Rasheed Wallace to New Jersey — is dead. And although the Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets have both a need and an interest in acquiring a veteran big man of Davis' ilk, the possibilities for a workable swap — given Davis' contractual largesse, given the climate of salary restraint — aren't exactly endless.

As a result, some observers say, Raptorland is doomed to yet another season of internal discord. Davis, indeed, has been portrayed in some quarters as an insufferable dissenter.

But show me the list of locker-room saints who are flooding the market with their shut-up-and-play work ethics. The number of ego-less, agenda-less players who earn in excess of $12 million is ... um, let me add this up ... exactly zero.

It'll be the job of rookie coach Kevin O'Neill to convince Davis to use his still-considerable powers for good instead of evil (and word around the club is that O'Neill and Davis have talked frequently in recent weeks).

It'll be the job of O'Neill's right-hand man on the roster — backup shooting guard Michael Curry, who played in Detroit when O'Neill was an assistant there — to convince Davis that Canada is an immeasurably better basketball country now that Lenny Wilkens is power-washing the deck — or whatever it is retired guys do — back in Seattle.

The chemistry shouldn't be a problem: Curry is the president of the players' union; Davis is a high-ranking union official, too. And if Davis harbours hopes of being dealt to a contender before his contract is up, you'd think he'll know enough not to ruin his reputation with a season-wrecking suck-out.

Maybe nobody knows how it'll end up.

I do know, though, that Davis — while his shooting percentage is in steep decline and his legs are showing age despite diligent conditioning — has always played best when it has mattered most.

His postseason numbers in Toronto have been far superior to his regular-season work. And if you're a fan of this club, you'd like to think that a playoff gamer would still be welcome in your town. You'd like to think the playoffs are still in the conversation.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is Gold. Thanks for the new sig.

13. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

If there is any real interest in trading Davis, I would make this trade:

Houston trades:
    M Taylor & M. Norris

Toronto trades:
    A. Davis

What do you think?

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would do Cato/Rice for AD/Murray or some similar variation if Lamond was truly healthy. That trade would solve 2 of our biggest problems:

- A tough big man who can play the 4
    - A starting sf who can hit the 3

15. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

What are the contract differences between Cato and Davis? Davis would bring offensive points that Cato doesn't plus still provide good D. I would keep Rice - package Cato, Norris and Nachbar!

16. SLA

SLA Member

I would do that.

Cato 7 million and Rice 9 million = Antonio Davis 12 million ???

Even though AD is old, I think he is still a decent defender...pretty strong...like Kevin Willis (quote).

But...then we would have Griffin and Taylor still.

???

17. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

:eek: :confused: :eek: :mad:

18. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Is this guy high? Greg Ostertag for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward? Ostertag and pick for Swift and Knight?

19. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

A 24 win team that lost its only superstar to injuries for basically half of each of the last two seasons, with its 3 starters better than our 3 starters in those same positions.