1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Dominant? Rookie Shaq or 10-11 Dwight?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jan 24, 2011.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He would probably get around the same number of blocks, but his points and rebounds will drop. His points will drop b/c the interior defense back then was more physical and effective. And back then, if a center's post game wasn't working, he'd resort to his mid-range jumper. In the 80/90's, a 10-12 foot jumper was a staple in almost every center's game (except for Shaq who could just bully his way to the rim). Dwight's offensive game is embarassingly underdeveloped.

His rebounds would also drop b/c if he were to play in the 80/90's, it would be more likely that he'd be paired with a true PF....there would be no Rashard Lewis's to inflate his RPG.

When Shaq came into the league, the Magic didn't have a bruising PF, and Shaq got 14 RPG. After Horace Grant arrived, that RPG dropped to 11. Hakeem had Thorpe, Ewing had Oakley/Mason, Mourning had Larry Johnson, and Robinson had Cummings/Rodman.

You're right. Lack of competition is his problem. That's why he's won so many championships....

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Dwight Howard has alot working against him against those type of players. I'll say it before and I'll say it again, if Dwight over the last few years was struggling against the likes of Yao Ming; Pau Gasol; and old Rasheed Wallace.

You really cannot expect him to do all that much better against a very young Shaq (who might be as athletic and mobile as he is with much better offensive game); Mourning (comparable to Dwight, but when you watch both of them, exactly how Dwight is better); David Robinson (Robinson was just as athletic as Dwight, but his offense was on another level); Patrick Ewing (His offense would be a handicap against Ewing); and Olajuwon ... I'm not even touching that one. Howard doesn't initimdate players nearly as much Mutombo did, in fact for one he can't take on a very physical opposing center, like Mutombo often did, while he cannot patrol the post like Mutombo did (Howard is probably better against wing offensive players), but with that being said . .. everyone likes to point out how many blocks Howard gets year and out, yet he's never averaged over 3 in a season.

I don't even think Howard could stand a chance against the younger version Jabbar or Wilt.

Dwight Howard's offense right now in modern 2011 NBA is way less developed than alot of these guys skills in their college seasons and first NBA year. There's no way Dwight Howard could keep up with Kareem at UCLA.

In fact, I think those other players, like Gasol; Bynum; and Yao could hold their own more against 90s players than Dwight. Maybe, not Gasol, especially a star player.

The main question should change to is Dwight Howard right now as good as a rookie Mutombo.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

OK now you on some crazy stuff..Bynum and Yao???....and yall think I stay high..???...which I do .......but at least I dont hallucinate

5. VBG

VBG Member

That's funny. Bynum and Yao over Dwight? hahahaha

Dwight is a lot better than he was.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You guys missing the entire point.

I'm speaking of head to head matchups, against both Gasol and Yao. Howard hasn't been exactly spectacular, while he has even really dominated Bynum; Perkins; Rasheed Wallace; or even an older Shaq. I'm strictly speaking from head to head matchups, name one of those players who Dwight Howard has dominated in a playoff series or even over a span of regular season games. None of them.

Also, overall the players above, especially Yao and Gasol, effectiveness and ability on offense is almost head and shoulders better than Dwight's offense. Compared to a healthy Yao or even Bynum, they both are better offensive players and skills, unquestionably. While, Howard's defense is not that much greater or barely that much more effective than Yao Ming/Bynum's defense.

My entire point is if he is that much better than all of these modern players (and even older Shaq), right now or over the last few years. How in the world do you think he be able to put the same 20/10 numbers against elite level centers and power forwards from another decade.

I'm just saying Howard rarely performed well against Yao Ming, the Lakers big men; Shaq; and Rasheed Wallace. I just cannot picture him doing that much better against say Hakeem Olajuwon; David Robinson; Patrick Ewing; Dikembe Mutombo; and I'll even choose Kareem Abdul Jabbar (for the sake of the argument)

You previous two are prisoner of the moment, that is why it is hard for you to understand, because I will venture to say that you never saw some of the greats at their best or even what stories younger generations had tell. Even with Magic Johnson, he said as rookie is almost impossible for him to play against a retired, but well in shape Wilt Chamberlain (who is in his 40s at the time) or even how young Kareem said he had have to be at his best to even stay on the court with an aging Wilt.

Especially, when you seen most of the other players play and see how legendary players respond on them or even their statistic.

I'm sure every center above could do for the Magic, what Dwight Howard has done? For one the Magic haven't won anything last time I check, and Dwight Howard, this supposedly dominant big man couldn't even handle the Lakers bigs who are often regarded as soft and even now when he is improved. He is still not of the best centers I've seen, not even top 9.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

These posters trying to promote Dwight do not see this. It was a totally different game in those days. He's a strong player, but even right now he is only strong enough to bully his way to at most 21-22 ppg for an entire season. Suddenly, he is going to be average those same numbers or more against superior competition, better skilled players in more slow down pace.

He would peak in points at about where he is at now 19-20 a game, maybe about 10-12 rebounds and still about 2 blks a game, barely averaging 2 now.

I just don't get it.

To those other posters, I mentioned Yao (more specifically his offense), because in this same era, he has been near 20 points a game for his career, and peaked in the mid 20s. The things some of those previous posters aren't understand is that a player, like Yao might could still be just as effective in 80s or 90s for his size; length; offensive skills and range; and etc. Just as the slower pace and less athletic centers in general (the need to use 7 footers), would actually be to his advantage. These posters do not seem to understand that even now with Dwight at his peak, he was will never been in say the class of just someone, like Yao Ming or even Brad Daughterty and Pau Gasol.

For Dwight, here's where the problem is, he is so-called dominant center in the NBA. This is highest scoring season at 25, while he has been the NBA for the last 7 season AGAINST weaker competition, and smaller centers (and more athletic power forwards). You could take some of the best centers' ever worst seasons over their careers and most would still be about par statistically to Dwight Howard's best. Also, Dwight is a very good defender, but not the greatest ever by stretch of the imagination. I do not know why people can't admit this, but he is just not a great go-to guy on offense or #1. I think he himself, is more of a complimentary big man, who is top level talent or has great team around him. It's kind of ironic how he pointed his fingers at Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis, when they are even best players on the teams. While, he is not playing out of this world himself.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Gasol....wow...smh.....Gasol...wow...I quit ...You won

10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Even though Shaq was dominate back then, Dwight is just the better athlete, better rebounder, better shot blocker, better basket protector, better FG shooter, better dunker. Dwight is the better player, he'll own every center that's out there in the 70s, 80s, 90s or 00s. Not only that, he also visits children hospitals to give out gifts, provide happiness to the little ones. Occasionally he puts his superman costume on and fights crime too.

So in conclusion, Dwight in his rookie year is more dominate than Shaq in his prime.

:grin:

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

7 pages in and no mention of this??

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y7cCcOvFX3U" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

12. AXG

AXG Member

How dare you insult Kevin Willis!

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

defensively its even.

offensively its not even close.