1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Adventures in Unemployed Clutchfans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, May 4, 2010.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good luck finding a new one.

My gf's father is about to lose his job too. He's worked for Bison for like 20 years or something, but they are shutting down the company. Another Houston business shutting it's doors.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

No, if I don't take them I don't get paid for them. They pay me for vacation days but not the other types.

I am going to have to see what the unemployment system is like in Ohio... sadly my cousin went through this same thing in December.

3. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Sorry to hear that bro. I would definitely take them since you are not getting paid for those hours. I would talk to your manager/supervisor and let them know. I'm pretty sure they'll understand... you earned those hours. Wishing you good luck in finding a new job.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Use them ,cause they ain't gonna carry over to your next job.

Best of Luck job hunting

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You mean, sis - not bro.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Good luck finding a new job. Its brutal out there. I had an interview today and the HR director told me they had 150+ applicants for the job. The are interviewing the top 6 or 7 so I'm hopeful my unemployment will be ending in the next few weeks.

7. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Best of luck, sister, I am sorry to hear that, but if you are an accountant you should be OK, I understand accountants are still some of the most sought after skilled labor jobs out there, I remember reading an article recently claiming that accounting graduates were the most likely college major to receive a job offer prior to graduation, but I would widen my circle a bit and look outside of Ohio and maybe in Texas and some other places, I hear Ohio's economy has been in shambles for a few years now.

On that note, I recently interviewed for a job position and the interview went well so I'm hoping I will hear something back soon. I am REALLY in need for a suggestion on what a good Thank You letter would look like. I remember a thread on this a few months or weeks back so I was hoping for tips on that. I will be e-mailing it so I guess that might be a different format from sending a postcard in the mail, right?

8. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Make it short and sweet (one paragraph) and drop a few points in referencing things discussed during your conversation. You should have emailed it in within 48 hours (ideally 24 hours) of your interview. Sadly, most people don't write thank you emails anymore.

If you all want to read about more adventures of an unemployed Clutchfan, you can check out my blog. www.AfterTheMBA.com :rolleyes:

It is basically about what happens after you graduate from business school with no job.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Date

Contact Information

Dear (Mr. or Ms.) (Last Name):

It was a pleasure speaking with you on (DATE) regarding your opening for a (POSITION TITLE). I appreciate the time and information you shared about your (department's) OR (organization's) current needs and goals.

After reviewing our conversation, it is evident that a key aspect of this position is the MENTION THE KEY POINT THAT THE INTERVIEWER EMPHASIZED ABOUT THE POSITION. In the past, I have GIVE ONE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OR AN OVERVIEW OF HOW YOU HAVE USED THAT "KEY ASPECT" WITH FORMER EMPLOYERS. TRY TO MENTION HOW IT HAS LED TO POSITIVE RESULTS IN THE PAST.

EX: ..."it is evident that a key aspect of this position is communicating effectively with individuals from several countries, including South America and the Middle East. I feel that my experience as a Systems Analyst in working with outsourced teams in Singapore and India would transfer readily to this new position." THERE ARE LITERALLY 100s OF DIFFERENT WAYS TO SAY THIS, JUST MAKE SURE TO KEEP IT SHORT.

I look forward to hearing from you again so that we may further discuss your (organization’s) OR (department's) top priorities and the efforts I could contribute towards their fulfillment.

Again, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

NAME

P.S.- Post above from Cokebabies is absolutely correct- and the blog After the MBA has some very interesting and relevant entries regarding job search.

#29 dandorotik, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If your future boss is a big Rocket's fan, don't copy Dandorotik word for word ;) .

11. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Thanks bud, that seems like a terrific layout. I already sent the e-mail and emphasized by international background and dealing with an international clientele, which might come in handy for the position :grin:

Thanks again!

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Good luck, Hayes. And also to all you others who have not found anything.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sure, it's one of many you can possibly use. I once wrote a TY letter to a Houston employer that included a mention of the Rockets- something like,

I appreciate the time you spent discussing your organization's top-priority needs (as well as the 5-minute discussion on the local sports scene- hopefully the Rockets' next playoff run is much longer!).

Now, I had established a very friendly relationship with the interviewer, and we talked Rockets/Oilers/Astros (this was back in the early 90s) for a few minutes at the end. I think it was the year that the Rockets were swept by the Lakers in round 1- was it 1990? 1991? I forget- it was one of those years.

So, you can certainly throw something in there like that- but only if you feel it's appropriate- and if you ever use humor, be very careful about how you use it.

Same here- good luck to everyone with their job search!!!!!

And in case you need interview preparation advice/examples, I called on some experts to assist you in this endeavor:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRmg4Pt4eFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRmg4Pt4eFQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>