1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mookie Blaylock on Life Support

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kwame, May 31, 2013.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

After the story broke, I checked out Pearl Jam's twitter feed and sure enough they were thinking of and had Mookie in their prayers. For those who don't know when Pearl Jame first formed they were an opining act for Alice in Chains and did not have a band name yet. The band opened a pack of basketball cards which contained a Mookie Blaylock and thought it would be a good name. While they changed there name before they released there 1st album, they named it Ten which was Mookie's jersey number.

1 person likes this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Update (ESPN): Charged with vehicular homicide, driving on a suspended license, and failure to maintain lane

3. tksense

tksense Member

Will medical condition or blacking-out save a driver from going to prison for charges of negligence or homicide?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe. But the fact his license was suspended jeopardizes that defense, I'd think. He should not have been driving at all. No medical condition made him get behind the wheel in the first place. I don't things look too good for him.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Only semi-related

How it is now with internet. Article title from Heavy.com
    (NBA Star Mookie Blaylock on Life Support:
    "5 Fast Facts You Need to Know ")

(then it doesnt actually link to anything if you DID even care? whatever)

They need to stop with these cheap page hits number rank lists. They're just doing it out of spite now. Of course its also trivializing dramatic events.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Reading the article above it's clear he never should drive a car and that he doesn't give a **** about the safety of other people and consequences of his behaviour. Would like to hear from the people that sent prayers to him again.

Well, prayers to the family of the wife that got murdered and I hope the husband survives. No prayers to Mookie and f*** him, yea I said it. Can't believe people are sad for him and barely mention the real victims. Guess that's what fame brings you.

1 person likes this.
  7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Well he killed another human being. While he's probably sitting there ****ing in his pants trying to save his own ass, the woman's family is grieving a wife, mother, daughter, cousin, etc. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Prayers to the woman and her family.

1 person likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not feeling more sorry for Mookie than the others, but I'm not wrathful either. If he's guilty, he'll be convicted and punished. It's a tragedy for the couple that were just making a normal drive and had some car barrel into them and kill the woman. It's a tragedy for Mookie that he used poor judgement and ended up killing someone. I feel pity for people who murder due to their own stupidity. I think that must hurt like hell. It just sucks all around. I won't be praying for anyone because I'm not religious. But, I feel sorry for all of them.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait:confused:, because he was driving on a suspended license? The report did say that it seemed alcohol was not involved. A little harsh aren't we?

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Uh no. Bruh you might want to re-read the article and then come back and tell us why you think it's not a problem that someone in his condition and past history of offences would get back on the road.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why are you minimalizing driving with a suspended license? This is the exact scenario that was supposed to be avoided by making it illegal for Mookie to drive. He broke that law, and killed somebody.

You make it sound like it's a minor violation.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

In that instance, yes, someone's life was lost and i am sorry for that family, but driving with a suspended license, though it is illegal, is not dangerous. Driving under the influence is. The fact that he had problems healthwise in the past still did not stop him from driving all these years. Also, it didn't stop him from getting his license renewed in the past. His license was probably suspended because of the drug possesion charges or something to that nature.
    Still, everything has not come out. He will be punished either way.

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Prayers to the woman's family. Sucks she was probably just driving to work like we do everyday.

14. SunsRocketsfan

Firstly you dont know why his license was suspended. The fact remains that HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE ROAD. What he was doing was ILLEGAL.. as in breaking the law. You get your license suspended because you are considered NOT FIT to drive or DANGEROUS to others on the road. Now he got an innocent person killed and all the media/most of the internet can talk about is OMG it's mookie blaylock one of my favorite players of all time.. i have his jersey in my closet..i have fond memories of him guarding Jordan. blah blah blah..
    How about the real victim here? An innocent woman and wife to a now widowed husband. I dont know Mookie personally but I'll assume he's a decent person and now he also has to live with the guilt of killing someone due to his poor decisions.

15. tksense

tksense Member

Yeah my first reaction was **** MB, he just took two innocent lives, and why were ppl praying for him and not much mention to the real victims. But I thought this is life and death situation also for MB, ppl are praying for him cos he's someone they "know" and coming out alive is what anyone would wish for anyone.

And I assume theres no way MB will escape from jail time except maybe they take his million dollars of bail instead, if he's still connected to the local socialites who still value him. I guess not.

You're right, topping that, driving in spite of suspended license will do it for him.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What makes you think his license was suspended for those reasons? It could have just as easily been suspended for a history of DUI or reckless driving. Or he could have had a number of accidents without insurance, which is dangerous to others in a different way. Plenty of people have their licenses suspended specifically because they are a danger to others on the road.

In any case, he shouldn't have been driving and took a woman's life. It doesn't matter how many times his license was renewed in the past if it's suspended now. His actions were criminal and it sounds like the collision is entirely his fault.

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

How can he be charged with homicide before they even know why he wrecked?

What if he had a seizure or something?

:confused:

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I hope the real victims and their family will sue his @$$ in civil courts and take away everything he owns.

Prayers to the real victims.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If you have the 20 yr anniversary edition of 10 it has pictures of posters when they were still called Mookie Blaylock.

20. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

If he repeatedly drove with a suspended licence he could be committing a felony offence.

If someone dies when you're committing a felony offence, you can be charged with felony murder.