1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl's Deal or Trade Flexibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Aug 18, 2015.

?

Avoid the Hard Cap or Lock up Montrezl

1. Lock up Montrezl

48.2%
  2. Avoid the Hard Cap

51.8%
  1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Zomg tjones zomg Aaron craft zoonks zomg multiple sauces bleh bleh bleh t jones blooobity bloop Seth curry blehhhh I hate t jones zomg zomg depth charts boo**** boo**** boo**** Aaron craft #depthcharts I hate t jones boo**** with a side of inside information #depthcharts please

2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Need to sign Hayes first

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets Face Tough Choice With Montrezl Harrell

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Salary cap goes up so Harrell needs to take that deal of one year. If not, the hell with him, you getting millions to be around a contender.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

The point is you didnt really read my comment, I know we havent signed Harrell, I was just saying I'd rather lose him for nothing (not technically possible since he sint signed yet) than go to the hard cap, thats how much I dont like to be hard capped.

1M isnt a lot, I dont think Harrell and his agent will settle for that amount and would rather KJ Mcdaniels it up and sign a 1 year offer. And the right move is to let Harrell take that offer vs using the MLE and be hard capped. Just you think a star wont be available doesnt mean they wont be, you cant see the future and thus should operate with all scenarios in mind. The reward of keeping Harrell on a cheap contract isnt worth the risk of being locked out of a possible star deal, therefore you dont go to the hard cap. Harrell is unproven and unlikely to get big mins on the squad, his ceiling seems to be limited as well. He can turn out to be serviceable, or he can turn out to be Dorsey 2.0. Its not worth going to the hard cap for such a prospect IMHO.

6. mockster

mockster Member

I'm sure he cares less considering it won't mean much to him since he prolly will hardly play. But still he could learn a lot from Hakeem, Mchale and howard.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Harrell's situation is not at all similar to McDaniels. KJ knew he would get time on a tanking team like the 76ers. The Rockets are on the other end of that spectrum, and Harrell is more than 1 injury away from playing. At least 2 of DMo/Dwight/TJones/Capela would have to be hurt for Harrell to get time.

I'm not certain what the right route for us is. I lean to "lock him up", simply because I think we have to depth to survive short term injuries, and the contracts to fix a long term problem. Remember that this does not restrict us from trading......it only restricts us from leveraging our outgoing salary. Also, it restricts us from signing any other potential free agents that could be cut or bought out by their current team.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not according to Daryl! :)

Reality is, with continuity and it does seem like it will be hard for Sam to get on the floor, A) we have a history of developing players, B) McHale will play who is the best. He doesn't care about money, who you are...if Sam comes in and outplays other guys, he'll play. Reality is, it will be hard to do. We have a good team. He'll go through a normal development curve; spend some time with the Vipers. We have been surprised before (Chandler Parsons). Montrezl Harrell, he may get a shot. We had some injury issues at the bigs. We got bigs ahead of him but he's one injury, which you can expect, and a guy like Harrell may get a chance.

Not to read too much into what he said but he could have easily said the same thing for Harrell that he did for Dekker. He's gonna have a learning curve, he's gonna spend time in the D-League, it's gonna be tough to crack a good team/rotation. Instead he said, he's probably one injury away from getting a chance.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, no, no, no, no......this isn't fair.

Next time I see you were the last poster in a thread, I want to see some full article you found about our team that I was too lazy to find myself. None of this partial-information + personal opinion crap.

I'll let you off with a warning neg-rep this time, but don't let it happen again.

;)

P.S. On a side note, can we get Montrezl signed already so that basketballthegreat...er, bobbythegreat "and" basketballholic....can have subpar-YMCA-pickup player Terrence Jones ready to ship out for a late 2nd round pick?

2 people like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the uncertainty of DMo's back and perhaps with Dwight strategically missing games for rest, ups the chance for Harrell getting minutes.

11. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We do not have Harrell for two years no matter what. He can sign the tender like McDaniels did in Philly last year and then be a RFA in 2016.

Hard capping makes trades almost impossible and it also makes flexibility (if there are several injuries) to sign FAs very limited. There would be almost no chance of trading for ANY player upgrade in season.

It would be a very anti-Morey move. Only way you even consider it is if you think Harrell was a lottery level talent. Otherwise it isn't worth it to sacrifice almost any other deal the rest of the season.

12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

It essentially restricts us from trading, barring a salary dump deal before it. How many upgrades would be available, who would make less than what we would ship out? Essentially none because if they did the team wouldn't be trading them AND take back more salary.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Harrell was a projected lottery pick that fell all the way to the second round, which means teams didn't think that much of him. Little chance he accepts the tender.

14. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I think that is certainly up for argument, but the point is: it is certainly still an option. In fact, it is probably more likely than the Rockets putting themselves up against the hard cap to sign Harrell.

15. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

I don't see the point in us signing KJ to a deal when he's not going to get any PT. I have a feeling he's just going to get traded. Money could've been used to sign Harrell instead

16. basketballholic

It's more likely that Corey Brewer and Pat Beverley get traded before KJ McDaniels does.

Not saying McDaniels won't get traded. But McDaniels even on this contract is very clearly a trade asset. He has more trade value because of his youth and potential and his contract (basically a rookie deal for a #10 or #11 pick) than either Pat Bev or Corey Brewer do. So, McDaniels could get traded. But if he is traded it will be a substantial trade that brings back a star/superstar level player. We won't throw him away just to get rid of his contract.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If KJ plays well he makes Brewer expendable ..... with Brewer having a larger salary meaning you bring back more too. KJ is a wildcard ... as is Dekker to some extent.
    I think KJ was more a gamble that he's going to make significant improvement and you have him locked up for dirt cheap the next 3 years. That contract will be an absolute bargain after the cap expands should he contribute even as a backup.

I do believe you are right tho , IF KJ is traded , its for a player that really moves the needle.

I really don't see PatBev being moved at least this year. His deal is a bargain , fits very well next to Harden .... with Lawson making the final year on his deal non-guaranteed .... and Terry being all they have otherwise. While entirely possible I just don't think he's moved.

The two most likely players traded , at least in my opinion are Brewer & T.Jones. Combined they allow you to bring in $13.49m assuming they aren't hard capped. $10.71m if they are hard capped.

18. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Please stop the freaking nonsense, Brewer is not going to get traded, are you guys nuts?? Not even if KJ becomes a stud. Brewer is a back-up SF before anything, so KJ would then be the 1st SG off the bench and Brewer SF.

Anyway, why KJ needed to be signed for such a huge chunk of money was beyond me. Should've thought of signing Harrell and KJ with that.

19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Strongly disagree.... KJ fits better as a sf than Brewer does because of his strength, and ability to d-up bigger sf's. He's very Ariza like, in that he is projected as a 3 point threat with great slashing ability plus huge defensive potential. He's the best shot blocker on this team, besides anyone named Dwight (possibly T. Jones).

He is only 6'6" tall, but that's deceiving with his crazy long wingspan and incredible athleticism. He can really play either wing position, but if he improves his shot enough (and he will when he's catching and shooting more here than in Philly) and taps into that consistently good D he's capable of (on top of his great rebounding at his position), this guy could be a starter in no time.

Would make trading Ariza/possibly Brewer for a huge piece doable without losing a step. K.J. could possibly be the key to allowing us to find that absolute final piece.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pls no more projected lottery picks since Mook, Royce, Patterson

All Top 6 of respective drafts