1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl's Deal or Trade Flexibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Aug 18, 2015.

?

Avoid the Hard Cap or Lock up Montrezl

1. Lock up Montrezl

48.2%
  2. Avoid the Hard Cap

51.8%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think "they" are one. One poster. Got to be.

2. Mr Chuck Norris

YES! WTF? Do you know how hard is it to average 10 assists a game???

Here are the players who Do:

John Wall
    Chris Paul

THATS IT!

3. hakeemthagreat

Um I'm not sure you're aware of our current PF situation. But neither Jones or Dmo are high energy physical players. Both are more finess than rugged. I see Harell getting key minutes, especially with Lawson out there. Dwight can't grab every rebound

4. basketballholic

We've been through this before. You're circling back around here like a paranoid schizo vulture looking for some more road kill in a spot where there was none to begin with.

So tired of the attacks when Bobby and I tell you facts.

The current big man depth chart for this team is Dwight,DMo, Capela, and then Terrence. Terrence is behind. Doesn't matter his injuries and issues, etc. He's behind Dwight, DMo, and Capela at this point. If we were going to roll out the balls and play tomorrow this is what our depth chart would look like.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yes. Assists are huge. That means that player can create. Stars create. Wannabe stars create drama. What did Parsons do? What is he still doing? Created and creating drama.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Also, see how easily Parsons was replaced? I don't see why people are still talking him up. The reason Morey let him walk was because he could easily replace him...and he did just that. Lawson could probably be replaced too, but probably not as easily despite the talent at the PG spot in the NBA.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying Lawson is a 3rd star, I want to see how he plays along side MVP talent first.

Maybe those numbers aren't much better but the thing Lawson will bring is a player with a skill set that contains something he does at an elite level were Parsons did most things above average but nothing elite.

Lawson's ability to get into the paint with easy thanks to one of the quickest first steps in the game today and finish or find the open man is what separates him from Parsons.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, but I wouldn't call him a star.

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

The issue with Harrell taking the QO is that Rich Paul is his agent and I suspect negotiations next year could be protracted.

1 person likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

The discussion is still on point. The argument is whether or not DMo and/or TJones is needed. Do we make another trade? All this effects whether you sign or don't sign Trezl to a longer deal.

It's all about flexibility and what it can do for you vs locking down. I'm actually ok with either because I think we've got the best team in the NBA now. If we're healthy, we've got almost zero weaknesses. It only depends on if you think our FTs are a weakness. To me, Dwight's FT issue is not a weakness. He still makes em most of the time. Josh Smith was weak in that area, so is the clipping dallas backstabber.

11. basketballholic

Rep'd you for this. A very important point that I hadn't considered.

This actually may be killing any trade opportunities. Paul probably wants Harrell to accept the 1-year tender so he can be a free agent next year. If so, that basically kills Harrell's trade value as far as trading him for another second rounder already signed to a 3-year deal.

12. don grahamleone

Ty played with a loaded North Carolina team (tyler hansbrough was up for POY) and Carmelo Anthony for 1.5 seasons. Unfortunately, Melo was gone before Ty warmed up to the NBA, but he's played alongside MVP candidates. He excelled at NC.

I will be shocked if we're not the best team in the NBA 20 games in.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If Morey, who hardly ever sacrifices team flexibility over proven players, sacrifices it over a second rounder that has yet to play a single regular season game....he has a gambling problem.

14. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I'm completely aware of the current "PF situation" and Harrell will not play much, at all, in Houston, if the rotation is healthy and there is not a trade.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Exactly.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Yeah, from everything I've seen, Ty Lawson is a true point guard who thrives making his team better.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One injury to Jones or DMo and Harrell is thrown into the fire. It's a long season and you expect players to miss a few games over the course of it.

As for the trade part .... I think those two are enough to win with considering the rest of the roster. The only reason I see the need for a trade is that both are impending free agents .... I really don't know what you get for them without sending out another rotation piece in the process and you have no #1 pick to attach in the coming draft.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This from JR's transcription of the [Red Nation Roundtable] - Daryl Morey discusses offseason thread:

I think its a bit revealing in where they are headed with Harrell.

If they use the remainder of the MLE on Harrell they'll be right at the apron and unable to add salary.
    Since it appears they plan to bring in several camp bodies who must be paid , even if its just partial guarantees , its quite obvious they wont be hard capping themselves.

This quote from that same interview is also somewhat telling .... Morey knows all he currently has behind DMo & Jones is Harrell. An injury to either and he's thrust into the rotation.

These quotes dont change my opinion of what the end result of Harrell's contract situation is , that is Morey signs him to the 2 year rookie minimum and avoids the hard cap in doing so.

The other options are still available but I don't think they are likely.

Those other options:

1) Use MLE and hard cap.
    2) Trade Harrell's rights for a player already under contract into Shved TPE
    3) Extend rookie minimum which Harrell rejects and plays overseas with Rockets retaining his NBA rights while signing another player to a 1 year vet min deal.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3b) Harrell takes the Rockets 1yr n/g qualifying offer and stay with the Rockets (e.g. KJ/philly)

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I suspect Harrell's agent likely instructs Harrell to sign 1-year minimum if he isn't traded and Rockets don't offer him at least three years.