1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl's Deal or Trade Flexibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Aug 18, 2015.

?

Avoid the Hard Cap or Lock up Montrezl

1. Lock up Montrezl

48.2%
  2. Avoid the Hard Cap

51.8%
  1. basketballholic

He could sign a contract in China. Not saying that's what he's going to do. But it's a possibility that Harrell signs outside the NBA for a season and then joins next year.

I don't think the ideal role for Chuck Hayes is the 3rd big in the rotation at this stage of his career. I think it's much more likely that Hayes is the 4th or maybe even the 5th big, brought in to be a mentor to the younger guys and help them with defensive footwork and leverage on the blocks. As we get closer to the playoffs I could see an increase in minutes for Hayes or if there is an injury. But right now the top 3 bigs are most likely Dwight, DMo, and Capela. Those 3 will most likely eat up around 90% or more of the big man minutes with Jones, Dekker, and our smalls getting the other 10% of those minutes. That is.....barring injury.

And barring trade. This team as currently constructed still needs an upgrade in REBOUNDING, FREE THROW SHOOTING, and 3-Point Shooting (specifically at the big man spots). So don't be surprised if a trade and/or signing addresses those issues with a solid 4th big added that gives us rebounding and free throw shooting. Hayes (and I love the Chuckwagon, outstanding defender and high post passer) is not the answer to those issues.

As finsraider first suggested, one obvious solution to the hard-cap issue would be to trade Harrell for a player that is already signed, using the $1.6 million Shved TPE. We're watching to see if that happens. However, to do that, we've got to get appropriate value. Otherwise it ain't worth it. We shouldn't trade Harrell's rights for some scrub just to avoid the hard cap. We'd be better off signing him to a minimum deal and dealing with his free agency next summer or the summer of 2017. So if we trade Harrell the minimum we should get back for him is a player drafted high in the second round this year and already signed. If we can't get that then we've got to get a future high second round pick, which means we'd have to get a 2016 second round pick from a team like Minnesota(MIN), Philly(BOS), Denver(PHI), etc. If we can't get that minimum value for Harrell, gotta sign him or let him sign outside of the NBA for a season and retain his rights for the future.

#41 basketballholic, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is a catch-22 if there ever was one. I think you try for flexibility in trades because you never know what's going to happen during the year.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Obviously, we would want to get value for him if we trade him. However, I would think his value to another team would be greater than the Rockets as they could sign him for 3 years with restricted free agent rights and bird rights versus signing him for 1 year with restricted free agent rights and non-bird rights. It is just weird to think that the Rockets valuation of Harrell would be that much off the rest of the league.

4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Do the 70 people who voted "Lock up Montrezl" understand the question?

Of course you try to avoid the hard cap. Unless the team trades away one of Jones/Dmo without getting a PF back or they miss significant time with injuries, Harrell will barely play in Houston, so making him a RFA this year is intriguing, despite the cap jump and piles of money teams will have sitting around.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Bomani Jones best described Daryl Morey's MO..."He is the guy that is like a Pay Day Lender" He success as a GM so far has been predicated on flexibility. Montrezl will get what Morey is offering, or he will be moved. If there is a team that is selling parts during the middle of the season that could push this team over, Morey will be waiting.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Morey sits. He waits. He preys on the weak and vulnerable. He's like a vulture.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. basketballholic

The problem here is everybody that has signed their second rounders has had a chance to watch them play in SL and get even more comfortable and optimistic with them as a player. Attachment combined with the unknown future of their youngster makes them increase their opinion of their youngster's value vs. another team's youngster whom they scouted before the draft but have had no experience with after the draft.

It's simply a unique window of time in the evaluation and value of these young players.

All the same, I'd love to get Richaun Holmes as a project from the Sixers for Harrell. I'd do that deal in a second if Philly would do it and would consider it fair value given the fact that Philly was doing us a favor by signing Holmes so we could avoid the hard cap.

8. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Makes sense, but you lost me at the bolded part. Are you and all the other D-Mo nut huggers or TJ haters really this delusional? TJ will be the starter and take up 70-80% of the minutes at PF. He was fantastic in the play-offs, especially given his injuries. D-Mo is still not back at full strength and might not even be ready to start the season so that makes your statement even more mind-boggling. Knowing McHale, Capela's minutes are far from set.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is literally no way you can believe anything in the part I bolded. Like none.

Were you just trying to be funny?

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I still dont understand why folks like you consider it hating TJones and nut hugging Donatas. If Terrence was NOT hurt, there was no way of us really being able to see DMo's value. Mchale was forced into having to play Donatas. And with minutes, Donatas delivered with CONSISTENT play. He played the 5/ He played the 4. He shot the rock well, especially from distance, he was the teams best post player...and he made FT's.

The issue with Jones has never been about talent...He has it...Its about consistency. Heck in the postseason, the Rockets/Mchale did something dramatic that changed their luck vs the Clippers...Started Josh Smith, and brought TJones off the bench (midseries). Mchale was more willing to trust Josh freaking Smith than Jones. That alone should tell you that the Rockets really missed Donatas in the postseason. Not to mention, when players of similar talent have to be chosen, you go with the taller guy 10/10 times.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Dwight missed half a season. Morey wants a third star. He will not kill cap flexibility until he gets that third star.

12. basketballholic

Terrence was fantastic in the playoffs?!?!?!?!?!???

An example of the absurdity of TOFs. If you think DMo is better than Terrence then you're a DMo "nut-hugger" and a "Terrence-hater". And Terrence was fantastic in the playoffs.

Bobby's (you know that crazy guy that thinks DMo is better than Terrence) response...Were you just trying to be funny?

You're too nice Bobby. Don't know how you do it.

13. don grahamleone

I gotta agree here, you make it sound like TJones elevated his play during the playoffs. He played sparingly (23 minutes per game) and his averages per minute were on par with the regular season.

I really really like TJones and want to keep both he and DMo, but saying he was fantastic in the playoffs doesn't really make sense to me.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

@_holic.

Stop talking to yourself. It's psychotic

15. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

Maybe he's not the tier you were hoping for, but we've got one.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Did we really have to turn this into another Jones Vs. DMo thread ?! FFS ....:mad:

17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Why does someone always turn every thread into Jones vs. Dmo? Man I can't wait for the season to get here so we can see both these guys in action... not that it will settle any discussions but at least we could argue about actual results.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Chandler Parsons gave us 16.6 pts, 5.5 rpg, 4 assists per game in his last year with us and he wasn't good enough for Morey to call him a 3rd star. Is Lawson's 15 pts, 9.6 assists, and 3 rebounds better?

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Because bad posters like Bobby and BHolic have agendas and they push them.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stop drooling on yourself, the issue was one troll suggesting that Jones will start and that he looked "fantastic in the playoffs" everyone probably shouldn't have taken the bait, but it is what it is.