1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl Harrell turns down team USA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

By next year when the Olympics comes up, I fully expect Pop will keep this same group and give his middle fingers to all these ass-hats.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The next news will probably be Pop is also quiting and just let Van Gundy to lead a G league team to win it all.

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Note the mid September finish if they go deep, as they're expected to do.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Attending the minicamp doesn’t mean you have to go to the actual championship play after it’s over. And you also have to make the team in the first place. A ton of guys will be going right back home after aug 9

5. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Based on the above mentioned list, I think it's safe to say that a number of the the people that have pulled out would have been front runners to make the team:

Harden, Beal, AD, Tobias Harris, Dame Lillard, DeMar Rozan, Zion Williamson... even EG.

So take Aug 9th off the table for those guys.

So as each of those guys remove their names then it's more likely guys like Harrell get the call to go deep into the tournament with a NBA training camp right around the corner.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

This thread is about trez

7. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Right...

Who is now among the group of other NBA players withdrawing from consideration.

And I just simply applied the assumption that based on the World Cups schedule and how it conflicts with training camp and the upcoming NBA season is reasoning as to why Harrell withdrew, Prior to the flood of top tier players withdrawing, maybe he didn't make the team and maybe it's less of a concern. But as those guys go his chance of sticking is higher. So now the thinking (IMO) is just withdraw himself to be ready for what is sure to be a LONG NBA season for him and his Clippers team.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

which contradicts with what harrell has been doing for the past month at the very least and playing basketball anyway. hes in LA and can fly to vegas an hr away and attend minicamp and do what hes already been doing surrounded by a much better structure. if he wants to go home after that, then so be it. that's his choice. but the fact that he's not even interested in that part for a few days is pretty alarming.

#28 YOLO, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh... Clint Capela also turned down Team USA!

Jontro likes this.
  10. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Alarming is a strong word. Considering the history of Olympic/World Cup basketball.

Playing a few pickup games regardless of the competition versus actual practice sessions, coached by one of the most hard core coaches in the league no-less, is (I feel) totally different.

Younger me rolling out of bed at some time during the middle of the day during summer to go the court to ball was a lot easier than having to wake up early daily on a schedule for practice (which is monotonous).

As well as the fact that I don't believe you go to mini-camp after committing and then saying, well thanks for having me I will go now. Going to those USA camps is a commitment to the process. Some of those guys are going in with the thought that maybe they won't make the squad and it was just two weeks of practice. But once again as top tier talent bails those lesser guys move up the depth chart. And at THAT point, I don't see how it's optional if they are selected.

But this is all my opinion. So with that, I will bow to your more experienced knowledge on Montrezl's inner thoughts and moral compass.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

team usa camps are hardly known as hardcore. they have documented these for the last several years. these guys get simple drills and sets in and work on things amongst themselves to get better. all while being surrounded by some of the best coaches around. they're not out there going full throttle.

it is alarming. this is the weakest team usa is fielding by far since 2004.

you don't believe it? you realize its voluntary right. if a player wants to decide to go home after camp they can. nobody is twisting their arm at any point. you're supposed to want to play for team usa. they're not holding you hostage.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hope not, no one is there to watch pop. They are there for the stars.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

tldw...no

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There goes the myth of the great Olympic Melo.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i studied him in my mythological heroes college course. fully expect they make a movie out of his story. starring tom cruise of course.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good call but how much is he really paying you under the table with his Scientology money?

Jontro likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i enjoy science. but if you dun believe in tom cruise, you dun love jesus.

RudyTBag, daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  18. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

I wonder if Pop is the reason for all these withdrawals?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Probably more to do that the schedule is a lot longer. The FIBA world cup went from 24 to 32 teams which means the schedule is a bit longer now.

Also that the FIBA world cup just isn't as prestigious as the Olympics (Especially for Americans in Basketball), for whatever reason, in Soccer it's literally the opposite. I don't imagine half of these players turning down the Olympics unless they were nursing an injury.

I do think the FIBA World Cup has been growing in prestige, a big part of the reason it has gone up to 32 teams is that more people around the world have been tuning in to it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Team US getting younger is good (They still got players like Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown.....)

Less stars, more chances for the Euro teams. More competition.