1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl and Terrence Jones: What am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drake Remoray, May 26, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

TJones shot release is just too damn slow. He moves so awkwardly. I fear a turnover every time he dribbles the ball much like Ariza and Brewer. TJones has not improved a bit since his rookie year and even regressed after his 2nd year. He's not a bad backup if you have a good starter.

I really like Harrell and i can easily see him developing a reliable outside shot or at least mid range. If he adds that to his floor running ability and energy and strong finishing, he could very solid starter for us on a very cheap contract.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. Look closely and you can actually see the gears turning in his brain in real time.

"Okay, I'm going to stop here and shoot. Plant my left foot... then my right... squat down a little... do my patented pump fake... adjust my grip... hold the ball over my head... raise up... let fly... follow through... forget to rebound my miss..."

It's a frustrating thing to watch because it's SO correctable with coaching and practice. With a faster release, TJ could actually be worth something.
    <BR>

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

About Jones, i just think that nerve injury in his knee taked away a lot of his athleticism, that's why he was always blocked and abused at rebound, if you look at him a couple of years ago he was just more explosive and dynamic...i also think this situation made him regress emotionally, a lot of times i saw him kinda scared in the paint.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well....given that the Rockets biggest problem this season was defense and not offense, I think it's fair to point out that Beasley was almost completely worthless on defense. His ability to score puts him ahead of Jones but he's still not someone you want on the court in most situations unless you can surround him with good defenders to hide his flaws.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jones isn't inconsistent why are people saying that. Jones is consistently horrible and the worst player on the court. Horrid defense, can't shoot, can't rebound, gets blocked at the rim by PGs. Jones has no redeeming qualities as a basketball player.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Are there any examples of a player completely rebuilding their shot? Some make minor adjustments. If you look at young Kidd vs older Kidd, the differences are minor. Young MJ used to kind of lean into it and then older MJ had more of a straight posture. I can't really think of anyone who had a completely different shot from stance to release. That is assuming TJones would need to completely rebuild it.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I bet he ends up going home to Portland and they end up turning him into a nice player.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

I really like how natural of an athlete Harrell is. He runs the floor so damn well and actually has a nice touch. If he continues to work on his shooting all summer long, i see no reason to be mad if we end up with Capela and Harrell starting backcourt, given that we spend big money on SF, PG and bench players. Harden could throw alley oops to both of them all day. They'd dunk and block everything in sight. Both Cap and Harrell are willing and great floor runners. So if we spent all of our money on Batum and Conley. I think a Capela, Harrell front court would be fine given the upside of both players and the cheap contracts. I do think Cap is ready to start, but obviously Harrell is the question mark. I don't like Beasley starting. So if Beasley is primary backup, where does Harrell develop if he's not getting minutes at the 4 and too small to play C?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c1wxJ0QxnHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This season was the worst.

Now people are asking why a loser like Terrence Jones didn't play more.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not sure he needs to rebuild his shot -- I just think he needs to work on speeding it up. He already hits a decent % of threes for a PF.

11. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

so why did u start this thread if u knew the answer about Jones?

12. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

waste of bandwidth.

13. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

...because I don't think it amounted to permanent bench status.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If being arguably the worst PF in the entire league doesn't amount to permanent bench status, what would?

15. Garner

Garner Member

If you don't know why Terrence Jones fell out of favor, it is then abundantly clear you are not watching the actual games.

1 person likes this.
  16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

How can you watch the dreadful line up of Howard and Capella try to navigate space among each other. Both incapable of shooting an elbow shot. Defensive purposes... the defensive sets of the Rockets were terrible. Either one should be your center, but you have get someone more versatile as your 4. The Howard Capella combo was all on JB.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but that's no reason to turn to literally the worst PF on the team. DMo, Harrell, Smith, and even Beasley are all better options than Jones. Hell if you want to go small ball with Ariza at the 4, it's a better option than Jones.

I know people vigorously defended him for years, but there's just no case for ever playing him unless it's garbage time.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, if they missed the entire season they're lucky, don't be sorry.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like Trez too, honestly, when we drafted him i thought (from what i read) he was less polish on offense, but after i saw him few times he was better than i expected, he moves pretty well in post and his shooting motion is not bad at all, in fact i think he can work on it and become at least a decent shooter from outside. Where he needs to get better is in rebounding the basketball, but i'm not sure he''ll be able to do this...