1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis is the best guard to pair with James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ultramagnus, Feb 28, 2013.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

this is illigal. what about lebron? no more complain.:grin::grin::grin:

2. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

This.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sadly, the Garm is becoming beyond pathetic.

4. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

One elite scorer paired with a notorious chucker? Really?

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL....he can't play with a Steph Curry who doesnt have to be ball dominant. He's shooting 40% right now....23% from three, so the difference between his % and Lin is the same as the difference between Lin and Ryan ANderson.

With Brandon Jennings the Bucks are still barely an 8th seed in the pathetic eastern conference.
    Golden State is clearly better off without him, Bucks were actually better with John Salmon and Brandon Jennings before he showed up.

6. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

First off, Monta Ellis is not having his best year, trying to do too much, carrying a bad team, with a poor supporting cast. Second, he's not being used in the best way to use him. A good player cannot be invalidated just because that said player is not used or coached to the best of his abilities, or used in situations wherein he will be most effective. It's still a two way street. Nevertheless, he still produces albeit in not most efficient or effective way possible.

That being said, Monta Ellis greatest strength is his elite mid-range and slashing game. Personally I believe he is better in the mid range than Rip Hamilton, and is as good if not better attacking the basket as Tony Parker. He is not a real 3 point threat but he's managed to improve his shot just to make defenders respect it enough to be "honest" at the very least. If you have seen him at his breakout and early stardom years in Golden State, you'd remember how his mid range game and slashing was an absolute thing of beauty. Let me rephrase it for some of you, Monta Ellis is very much capable of efficient scoring, see below.

http://s778.beta.photobucket.com/user/decriz/media/MontaEllisstats.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I see him as a cross between Fat Lever and Vinnie Johnson.

Fat Lever - elite guard rebounder, playmaker, high steals rate, can be a hound on defense, decent scoring and defense
    Vinnie Johnson - can light it up, excellent scorer, strong for his size

Remember we're not getting him to become the primary scorer. We're getting him to be part of James' supporting cast. Coached and utilized properly he will be an excellent addition. He has to be brought back to using his greatest strengths. And that is actually the Monta Ellis that I have an eye on acquiring.

He is not "The One" who will take us to the promised land, but having him definitely pushes us in the direction of real contention.

Imagine a rotation of:

Ellis - Harden
    Lin - Harden
    Lin - Ellis

All are excellent distibutors and capable scorers, when one sits there is no let down or drop in offensive ability for the backcourt on the floor.

This acquisition does not have to break the bank. I actually believe that this acquisition leaves enough space for another one like it, say Josh Smith?

James Harden-Monta Ellis-Jeremy Lin-Josh Smith-Chandler Parsons-Omer Asik = that would be a real contender with room to spare. Just an example.

I didn't realize that a lot of forum posters are actually ignorant and incapable of of discussion or argumentation. Just blurting things without much reasoning. Entertaining to say the least.

7. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

pardon the mis-posted the image

[​IMG]

8. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Ellis is not efficient. Why would you want another guard that needs to ball in his hands to be successful? I mean, really?

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Uhmmm, because you need the ball in the hands of the scorer for him to score?

Uhmmm, have you also seen teams with multiple players who need the ball in their hands to do damage like the Heat, Lakers, Thunder, Nets, etc.?

It's something that you actually want to have since it's a strength.

I mean, really? Do you have to ask?

Poor Monta Ellis absolutely underrated and underestimated.

Contrary to popular belief, Monta Ellis is not a hopeless ball hog, He averages 6 assists per game as a shooting guard. And that you have to respect.

When paired with James Harden he'll be an absolute mismatch to the opposing PG, forcing the other team to adjust meaning opporunities for everybody else.

You have to admit it, Harden-Ellis is an elite scoring and playmaking 1-2 punch.

So easy to dismiss and proclaim as "bad idea!" or "it won't work!" but have you really analyzed or studied the merits of this idea?

Like I said, it would be an elite 3 guard rotation. And what's good about it is he ain't max money which means there is room for other key additions as well.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Monta Ellis is the opposite of an efficient scorer.

18pts on 17 shot attempts per game, 40% FG, 23% 3PTFG

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

If we want to tank, getting Mona Ellis would be the best move. :cool:

12. CertifiedTroll

This guy is a troll.

13. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

Thumbs up Karolik ;)

Wow totally agree/disagree :grin:

We already have the "Guy to Go" and the "Guy To Tank", who`s is who is a question to debate.

14. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Why Monta Ellis can be considere an "efficient" scorer:

1. He makes a lot of point up close. Up close = high percentage shot
    2. Speedy Gonzalez in transition. transition baskets = high percentege shot
    3. Has a Tony Parker-esque burst to the basket. Lay ups and shots up close = high percentage shot
    4. Mid range game. shots closer to the basket = higher percentage shots
    5. Gets fouled, and goes to the stripe with a decent FT%. Freethrows = gimme's
    6. Can post up smaller guards. Shots up close = higher percentage shot

When Monta attacks the basket and pulls up, defender's struggle to keep up, shuffling their feet. By the time Monta pulls up and takes the shot, most will not be able to get themselves to contest it or put a hand in his face with his quick hop and very high vertical. This is one of his most efficient scoring tools.

Monta actually has a back to the basket/post up game similar to Bonzi Wells where he utilizes a quick turnaround that leaves a defender watching.

How many players do you know have an elite scoring ability from the mid range and up close? I can only think of two, Tony Parker and Monta Ellis.

What's wrong with him now? Why has he become inefficient?:

1. He bombs away from long range too much. Long range = lower percentage shot.

Solution:

1. Utilize his strength in the mid range and up close scoring distances. Encourage him to do most of his damage up close.

Is defense a concern? No, absolutely not. Assigned as the smaller guard defender he'll be more than enough. As a shooting guard defender he manages, using his quickness as his main weapon. Not to mention the Alvin Robertson-esque high steals rate.

Rebounding will be an absolute plus.

Playmaking wise he's just a good a passer as James Harden. Furthermore in a team of great/good passers, he won't be needed in a John Stockton role.

You can't have James as the only elite scoring option. You need at least two.

You can't laugh at this idea. This proposition has it's merits.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Absolutely not. It may leave us another room for another mid-level player, but not much more. I have no idea why people think that we can get Josh Smith or Andrew Bynum, and still get another star.

I'll also point out on your assessment of Ellis, that when you consider the volume of 3's he shoots, he is on pace to be the worst 3 point shooter in the history of the league this season. Far from "keeping defenses honest."

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually not sure I can think of a worse fit than Ellis. Good job OP.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Am I being punked or something?

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

I totally get what you're saying. Ellis is a very good player. But with all due respect, I just don't think a player like Ellis is what we need to complete the team, at least not in the way that the coaches envision this team and the roles to look like.

He's Harden with lower efficiency. Having another elite scorer is not, imo, a priority on this team. we score plenty as is. Next to Harden, you need someone that looks to first of all get shots for others (because Harden will look for his shot first, as he should), great distributor that can run an offense, play really good D, and hit the open shot. parsons and delfino cannot create shots for themselves - when they try to do that, bad things happen. even harden should have some of his shots created for him because he is most efficient when that happens (see OKC game) and he tends to be turnover prone when he forces the issue. the OKC game was just jump shots and jump shots created for James and occasional drives into the lane.

imo, with ellis and harden in the back court together, production from parsons and our 4 would go down quite a bit. we see lin giving up the ball and deferring to parsons quite a bit from time to time. well, based on lin's interviews, it's not a matter of him being passive or afraid to be aggressive, but it's a matter of him seeing his role as someone that needs to first and foremost get his teammates going. he wants to make sure everyone get their touches. you think ellis would willingly do that?

our scoring comes from harden, chandler, and our 3 and 4. at times it comes from lin but even with lin scoring in single digits and the whole team bricking their 3's we still get 107 points. that's the way the offense is designed, like it or not. i think having ellis come off the bench, though, would be devastating but there's no chance in hell he'd do that.

and defense is a matter of desire. ellis had the physically ability, but does he have the desire and the smarts to play good D?

19. zdrav

zdrav Member

OP DOES realize that this idea is literally a joke?

<iframe name="embedded" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen frameborder="no" width="480" height="270" scrolling="no" src="http://www.theonion.com/video_embed/?id=896"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.theonion.com/video/knicks-trade-jeremy-lin-for-selfish-*******-who-pl,27394/" target="_blank" title="Knicks Trade Jeremy Lin For Selfish ******* Who Plays Knicks-Style Basketball">Knicks Trade Jeremy Lin For Selfish ******* Who Plays Knicks-Style Basketball</a>

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thats a good choice. Answer is Chris Paul.