1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis & Al Harrington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TManiAC, May 28, 2008.

1. adagio75

adagio75 Member

Ummmm.. do you not know that our system is a run and gun cutting slashing system? Unfortunately we have players that are currently not made for this system. They have to go! Ellis would be perfect for this system. He can continue to do what he did for goldenstate and do it for us. This team needs to continue to be overhauled! It began last offseason, now it has to continue. That means players such as chuck hayes "the workin man" has to go! Shane "the i can do everything average but do nothing great" Battier has to go! Any guy that we have that is one dimensional and Jeff Vangundy would love we do not need! Get us some athletic players that can shoot and jump and score!!

2. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

TMac or Yao in the mix for Monta Ellis? What are you guys smoking?

How do you even begin to compare a tweener combo-guard who comes off the bench with perennial super-stars? Would you trade TMac or Yao for Ben Gordon or Barbosa?

Admittedly, Ellis is an offensive talent but his size is a liability. I'll agree with anyone that Ellis has a high ceiling and is very deserving of a very large raise in the offseason, but the ousting of Jason Richardson only shows what the Warrior's front office think of Belinelli's potential and also shows their inclination to try and keep players on the cheap.

From what my co-worker tells me, Monta also is quite the loner and isn't meshing well with the personalities of Stephen Jackson and Baron Davis, who are party-goers. Monta's best friend on the GSW is Al Harrington and the GSW brass seems committed to ridding themselves of Al's contract. My co-worker is adamant about how Monta's personality is an ideal fit for a team built around TMac, Yao and Battier. I am told that Monta will request at least 7-8 Mill from GSW but is open to taking less to be on a team close to his home in Mississippi or for a team more in line with his personality and life-style. One could make a strong case for Houston, a team that also desperate needs a player who can create his own shots and add speed to the perimeter.

3. zforrest

zforrest Member

I love how so many people have the strangest basketball connections...

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Ummmm.. do you know you're wrong? Adleman's system is based on alot of cuts but it is far from run and gun. It is a half court offense loosely based on the Princeton offense, two completely different things. Like most run and gun system players Ellis will lose alot of his effectiveness when he isn't in the open court. He's not a very good half court player either.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

GS won't give up Ellis whatever you heard. I don't want Harrington because he is a mentally weak choker who disappears at the worst times.

6. wangzhizhi

wangzhizhi Member

Warriors were shopping Al and Monta last year. After Monta's awesome year this past season, there's no way the Dubs are shopping Monta.

7. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I would kill to get Monta on this team. He'd fit in just fine, both in the offensive system and in terms of personality. He can get to the basket, something this team is lacking. He can knock down shots consistently, something this team is desparately lacking.

Mike Bibby has never been a playmaker, but he could knock down the open shots that came as a part of the offense. This system desparately needs a guard who can do that. It shouldn't be a shock that during the winning streak Rafer was actually shooting efficiently.

I wouldn't give up Yao or T-Mac for him, but it's also not fair to lump Monta Ellis in with Ben Gordon, Barbosa, etc. He's already a more efficient player, and he's several years younger as well. Size is an issue, but let him play the point. Most of the offense will run through Yao and T-mac anyway.

8. sook

sook Rookie

Monta is relentless on driving to the basket. He can play point and would be an excellent fit.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've wanted harrington on this team for 4 yrs or so.Why? He's a oversized 3 that is a good athelete and player that is a matchup problem. He's become a good 3pt shooter, still has a post up game and is a good finsher. At the 3 spot, he puts a lot of pressure on smaller 3's, and @ the 4 he stretches the defense. He's the alternative to artest. He is something that the rox still haven't found. He's also a guy that can match up with the odom type guys. He has 18m over the next 2 yrs, so he comes off the books when tracy does. PPL need to face it an and acknowledge Battier is a bench player.

10. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

1) I've lived in SF and have followed the Warriors for the past three years. Nelson basically gave up trying to make Monta into a PG. He was usually our starting SG all season and only backed up Baron if Jackson wasn't on the floor.

2) A trade for Monta would only work in a sign-n-trade scenario. Same goes for Landry.

3) The ugly truth about Monta is his defense. Most of the Warriors' defense schemes involve covering him on defense -- he chooses not to play tough defense and usually gives up a lot of size compared to the opposing 2.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Are u in dream?
    IF this trade can happen, u are the Most Valued CEO in NBA' s history!!!

12. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

13. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Agree on all points. My trade proposal explicitly details a sign-and-trade situation. Not only is his defense a problem, he is also requesting a whole lot of money from the Warriors.

14. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Monta is good but only for the Warriors system. Nellie can't make him into a PG. The guy will never be one. He's got no handles for that speed. He's not big enough to be our SG, and not good enough to run the point. He has great body control and quickness and finishing ability, but one day all that fast paced high-flying is going to catch up to him and he will get hurt. He needs to slow down and work on becoming a PG.

15. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I like the trade, and wouldn't mind getting Gerald Green back, but you don't pay him more that whatever the veteran's minimum would be. Offering the MLE to a scrub like Gerald Green is like going to McDonald's and paying $50 for a Big Mac, without the drink and fries.

16. itony

itony Member

if only we could get them! i would do it in a heart beat monta is too cocky for me but he's getting better and better every year. but i dont see it happening monta is too precious to them, especially if there is any truth behind baron looking to move.

are you kidding me? gerald green, quinton ross, THEO RATLIFF and francisco elson?

what does anybody see in green? quinton ross hasnt proven anything and theo ratliff is old and outdated. hes been talking trash from the bench with the pistons the last time i heard about him.
    I was a fan of elson when he was with the spurs off the bench but he hasnt been producing very well since then either.

17. poprocks

poprocks Member

He'd be nice to have but we cannot give up Landry or Scola for him.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your description of Harrington on a chalkboard looks good, but he doesn't play up to it. If he was more consistent, less prone to disappearing from games and made fewer boneheaded mistakes, I'd take him.

I would give up 3 Landrys for one Monta Ellis. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

19. ibm

ibm Member

i've never understood the richardson trade. do they believe ellis is eventually going to be way better than richardson? if not, why give up a sure thing for potential?

20. ibm

ibm Member

but you just did it yourself. :cool:

i'd give up only 2 landry's for one ellis. anything more than that is overpaying him.