1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Money and politics: the $2.5 billion candidate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

What about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic,_Lost

#21 Northside Storm, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It didn't work. Wasted money.

Between 2001 and 2010, Intuit Inc., maker of the tax-preparation software TurboTax, spent more than $1.7 million in an attempt to kill ReadyReturn.[6][7] The California legislature allowed the ReadyReturn program to expire, but the FTB revived it for the 2007 tax year, expanding it to cover one million Californians. It continues to be in use today.[8]

3. Mr. Clutch

What would really simplify taxes is killing the income tax

4. VanityHalfBlack

5. Mr. Clutch

Wrong thread, brah

6. Northside Storm

Right, influencing the legislature with money to drop a guaranteed, proven way to simplify tax filing only to have it be picked up by a state agency: conservative government principles in action!

Let's not forget how long Intuit stalled e-filing with the IRS.

Or any of the other points raised by Lessig.

How about this for more flavor?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/embrace-irony

7. Northside Storm

What would really simplify the impact of money in politics is to abolish money and market-based approaches to anything.

Great logic!

8. Mr. Clutch

So now Supreme Court rulings are evidence? How much money do they receive?

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This reminds me of the nimwits who want the government to keep their hands off their Medicare.

Next thing you will be railing against "crony capitalism" because you heard the term somewhere.

95 % of all candidates with the most money win. Incumbents almost always have the most private money as they can distribute more cheese.

Incumbents everywhere welcome your naivete.

10. glynch

Hey wouldn't it be great to have a modern society with all the goodies and no taxes, too?

Ted and Rand followers are probably voting for such a promise.

While we are at it, wouldn't it be cool to win the megaball lottery and have hundreds of millions of dollars?

11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Check out who Clinton's top contributors are : http://i.imgur.com/GCOVi0J.png.

They aren't giving her that money out of the kindness of their hearts.

I will not be voting for Clinton, I am going to:

[​IMG]

12. glynch

lol look at who the top contributors to the GOP guys are. They aren't giving out of their goodness of their hearts either.

Many who complain about voting for Hillary the 2.5$ billion candidate will be voting for the $5 billion candidate from the GOP.

But it is ok say conservative/"libertarians" because it is private money. If we had limits on private money per their S. Ct it would be bad as it would be government regulation and would impact the FREEDOM of corporate personhood to engage in the pursuit of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Likewise government funded elections and again you know "big government " bad.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who is this mysterious $5 billion candidate on the GOP? Wasn't the article posted making the point that Clinton will be the most expensive candidate in history?

Also, the guy you posted wasn't advocating for the GOP, he clearly said they were all bad. Did you read his whole post and look at the pretty picture before your (false) tirade?

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I believe his referring to the conservative super-PACs that get to campaign on issues without disclosing any information on their funding, which are used as allies to the ultimate Republican nominee. I expect the Democrats will do a better job this time leveraging the same vehicle to spend extra money on Clinton's behalf, but I rather expect they won't be as good at it as the conservatives (or maybe they just don't have anyone as committed and as ridiculous in burning money as the Koch brothers on their side).

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The rules are what they are, thanks in part to a group of Republican appointed Supreme Court Justices. Ms. Clinton, if she wins the nomination, and I think she will, is smart enough to take advantage of the deck she's been dealt. I don't have the slightest problem with her raising and spending as much as she can get. The GOP candidate certainly will, and will spend far more than Ms. Clinton, in my opinion. This thread is about a non-story.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Are you paying attention... These corporations are impacting our FREEDOM. You don't even have the freedom to know what you are eating.

17. Hunky

Hunky New Member

Hildog for 2016 lol

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IMO
    It is obscene

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, glynch, I'm not advocating for the Republicans. I think both parties are enemies of the population and care only about their corporate backers. My point isn't for people to vote for the Republicans, but for them to stop thinking that voting for the Democrats is any better.

20. glynch

Sorry I was being sarcastic. Just having fun pretending to be a conservative/"libertarian" who is always yelling FREEDOM when pushing things like tax breaks for billionaires, Constitutional Rights for corporate "persons" and the FREEDOM for small biz owners such as restaurants not to serve blacks (per Rand Paul) or make cakes for gay weddings etc.