1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mold questions following hurricane damage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TBar, Nov 8, 2005.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I had roof damage during Hurricane Rita. I have double tarped my roof waiting on a roofing contractor to install a new roof. During the time we evacuated the house had no power for two weeks. The roof had leaked during the storm and water had infiltrated the sheetrock on ceiling, walls, and carpet. This allowed mold - dark green spots on ceiling and walls to develop.

I have removed all carpet, some sheetrock I could get to, and have wiped down walls, framing, and exposed wood and concrete slab floors with clorox and water. I figured the clorox would kill the mold. With air condiditioning and power restored I thought that no new mold would develop.

I thought the sheetrock should be replaced, floated, painted, etc.

Now a freind and a relative told my wife the house will need to have further work to remove mold. He says that the air conditioning system will need to be completely replaced. I agree the ducts will need to be cleaned, but the entire systems replaced?

I never expected much help from homeowner's insurance after the storm and for mental health reaons have not set my expectations high at all. That way I will be pleasantly surprised for any financial relief I get on the roof replacement. If homeowner's pays 1/3 of the new roof I would be happy. Really - I was going to put a new roof on anyway. I am not looking to take advantage of insurance. I want to get my house back in good condition and am prepared to pay most from my own pocket. I am not looking for a windfall here.

My policy allows for up to $5000.00 for mold remediation. This should be more than adequate for duct cleaning.

All this talk about replacing both AC units caught me by surprise.

Anyone have any experience with mold & restoration.

I would rather ask someone in this forum, as insurance and cleanup people have vested interests in their perspectives.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Have Egan and Henson come out and INSTALL THEM. :D :D :D :D

sorry I couldn't resist.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Bacterial spores cannot be killed by 70% Ethanol, but everything else can.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

From reading, it sounds like you will need to first correct the environmental conditions that allow for growth. Temperature and leakages. Then you can start treatment (Although this seems to be unclear as to the best way). But you need to get rid of the environment first. Then you may need to have the type of bacteria or fungus isolated and identified for proper chemical treatment... but seems many libraries do not recommend chemical treatment anymore. Pretty interesting dilemma. You don't see a lot of mold, so there must be good treatment practices somewhere.

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

You're definately right to replace your drywall because mold thrives on that. Even if you don't see visible mold growing on drywalll any drywall that is saturated should be thrown away. From what I've heard a bleach solution is exactly what you use to clean up. I agree with cleaning the ducts but this is the first I've heard of the whole needing to be replaced. I would recommend talking to an AC repairman or call the manufacturer to see what they have to say regarding mold.

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's stupid panic talk. You don't need to replace the units. Your air handler and condenser coil and compressor are fine. One good way to kill mold is to chill it. It will also de-humidify the home. You can clean everything with bleach. If you really want extra-special sanitary conditions, you can have the a/c man install an anti-bacterial uv light kit at the air-handler.