1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[moestavern19 or finalsbound] No More Junk Food in Disney Theme Parks -Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Michelle Obama Announces Food Initiative With Disney Theme Parks

The part about everyone doing their part without the government stepping in, but being endorsed by The First Lady seems somewhat hypocritical for me, but... it's good news nonetheless.

Good news for those of you healthy food junkies. :cool: I had to put Mr. 'Tavern19 in there and Ms. 'Bound 'cuz I know how much they "love" Disney...

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Disney moved to more health-conscious meals in the parks (and on-property generally) a long time ago. A very long time ago. Like late 90's/early 00's. I wasn't thrilled about it, frankly, because they didn't just add health conscious options, they took off some favorite dishes that I enjoyed at some of the better restaurants at WDW.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

It's been a few years since going to Disneyland...all I can remember is it was ridiculously busy and the food was as crappy as any fast food joint. Just don't remove the $4 churros and I guess I'm good with this.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't see what this has to do with Michelle...the decision was made by Disney itself and not pushed upon them

5. conquistador#11

(flashing back to age seven)
    well, when i first saw a spinach can with popeye as its label at a Fiesta(hispanic?), i begged my mother to get some. "you better eat the entire can.",she said. obviously,it grossed me out.
    To this day,i can only eat spinach on a pizza. that's my Cool michelle story, bro.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

While I laud Disney for cutting out the junk, I don't like any kind of government regulation on consumables. Why is food X legal while recreational drugs are not? Please don't tell me what I can or can't put in my body. Double standards.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I keep waiting for someone to jump in with "this won't do any good anyway, we all have our rights, the government blabbity blabbity blah".

Anyone watch the recent series "The Weight of the Nation" on HBO?

Obesity levels in this country are grotesque. With it come all sorts of health problems, and not just your heart problems and your diabetes but everything in your body is affected.

None of this is news, I'm summarizing. But I loved the part where school administrators (I believe) tried to get lawmakers to accept or pass legislation of the food served in schools. The Democrats voted yes. The Republicans voted no.

I'm not saying "all Dems good, all Repubs bad", but in this arena, that's how it looked, although I admit the documentary could only SHOW the votes and the "reasoning" each politician gave and not SAY the voting was all party-line. I know that filmmakers can cherry-pick what they want us to see. I don't think it happened here, but I admit the possibility. Michael Moore is notorious for it (good message sometimes, but bad messenger sometimes, too).

It makes no sense to let things keep going the way they are. The medical industry and pharmaceutical companies salivate at the possibilities that we stay unhealthy and sick, and their lobbyists put politicians in their pocket along the way.

Small steps here and there, but these things have to be done.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

serious question. what's so great about disney land/world?

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

this.

also, why is a 24oz soda bad for you, but the government is ok with the candy bag variety of prescription pills on the market. Every one of them has warnings about suicidal tendencies. I never seen anyone smoke a joint (and I'm anti-legalization, mind you) or drink a coke and start thinking about killing themselves.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If anyone's interested, here's the part of the article that's actually relevant to the thread title:

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess it's up to the people, but they do an amazing job of creating an awesome atmosphere. They do it throughout the park(s). Everything they do, they do well. It doesn't come off as something was done half-ass, and it appears like they didn't cut corners.

There rides aren't the scariest or most thrilling, though some are scary and thrilling, but they are pretty much all fun, and well done. But the whole time the atmosphere is just well done fun.

It is probably enhanced by those that watched and enjoyed the Disney movies, are still in touch with or at least appreciative of a childhood innocence. Disney is great at helping people of all ages connect with that inner part of themselves.

12. SwoLy-D

It's got a bunch of rides and you sort of immerse yourself into the world of the characters you or your kids grew up loving. :eek: I guess it's also a social "move" up in the world. "What, you guys haven't gone to Disney?!?!? Y'all are lame!" :p

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really just a silly symbolic move more than anything else. How often does the average family visit Disneyworld? Once every few years? Great, so once every 3 years people are going to eat apples instead of nachos.

The only people who can cure obesity are the people stuffing their faces with crap every day.

2 people like this.
  14. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Personally I do not get the hype. It's a place built on marketing and people buy into it as a social status thing.

I keep my daughter away from Barbie and Disney as much as possible (along with as much consumerist propaganda as I can).

As a child, Astroworld was light years better than the Disney parks.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Healthy food alternatives are expensive and thus the option less chosen.

16. macalu

yea, it just seems you pay exorbitant amount of money to fly and stay in a hotel just to walk around in a fantasy land, not to mention long lines for the rides. :confused:

17. SwoLy-D

I'm the one that's :confused: .

I have not done any of what you said there the few times I've been there. Someone is lying to you, man. :(

18. macalu

ok, so what DID you do while you were there?

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

hmmmmm. a place i would never go is getting rid of food i would never eat.

20. SwoLy-D

macalu, I got on almost all the rides, saw lots of shows, etc. :eek: I didn't stand in long lines (used FastPass for the rides that allowed it and you would do that at any other theme park, anyway), I didn't pay an exorbitant amount of money to fly there (I drove, spent considerably less on gas), and didn't "just walk around in a fantasy land." :cool:

It's also the TV networks. We all know you would never eat it.