1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moderate Islam - does it exist? If yes, how do YOU define it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 31, 2010.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

There is a difference between them saying it is their "goal", and that they would "prefer" it.

I can't speak for others, but I know I prefer progressive laws over antiquated ones.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This. With the addendum that, if you follow the basic tenets as set forth, and treat each other right, then all should be well.

Just...
    [​IMG]

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

To borrow a quote from Madeleine Albright speaking at the CFR conference early last year, “Moderate Muslims do not believe moderately. They believe passionately about moderation.”

I dont subscribe to the philosophy that 'Moderate Islam' has to be uniform in its religious manifestation, but do think that a few basic elements are key- namely, a condemnation for all violence and terrorist acts and dignity for ones fellow man are two such elements.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do you know what extremist Christianity is? If not, maybe we should talk about the 12th century and the Crusades, because that seems to be the time period many extremist Muslim practicioners are stuck in.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't believe that's accurate for all. For some the annoying Baptist types who believe in Rapture and that stuff yes. But not for Catholicism and Judaism, to name two.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Whattttttt. If so, that blows my mind.

But I really find it hard to believe that anyone would say that. Then again, weirder stuff has happened...

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I, for one, have a problem with the bolded text!

Polygamy should be a decision between a man and his wives

;)

8. showtang043

showtang043 Member

agreed, hes entrenched in his view, if there is stuff he can't answer, just beats around it with questions or changing subject, can't even look over anymore, good luck people

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

whoa! a thegary post

10. PointForward

PointForward Member

Every single one of those is severely taken out of context and distorted. What a joke of a "translation". I suggest you read a non-biased, neutral translation of the quran that takes into account the historical context of each verse. It would make a whole lot more sense. These "excerpts" are no better than the Shirley Sherrod video editing job that made her look like a flaming racist.

Meanwhile, I will leave you with a couple of verses that are very simple and aren't taken out of context:

2-190: "Fight in the name of god only those who fight you, but don't provoke them (attack first), god doesn't like provokers"

3-20: "and if they (people of the book, ie: christians and jews) argue with you in your faith tell them that you (Muhammad) submitted to god and ask the people of the book and people who don't know "do you submit to god with me?". If they submit then it's good for them and they found the right way, and if they don't, remember that YOU (Muhammad) WERE ONLY SENT TO INFORM THEM ABOUT FAITH, and god is all-seeing of the people"

The quran is very clear and consistent in this regard. There are no contradictions like the article falsely tries to suggest. waging war is ONLY permitted when a) you are attacked first, in this case you respond accordingly. and b) when you had a peace treaty with someone and they broke it first. That's it. This whole thing about "if they don't convert to islam, you kill them!" is a complete fabrication and has absolutely no basis.

If you look at the historical context of each verse that was sent (very well documented), you would find that all of those "fight the non believers" verses were specific to a certain situation at that time period, such as the battles of Badr, Ohod, alkhandak, etc.. were the muslims were provoked and attacked first by their idol-worshipping locals in the Arabian peninsula.

ABSOLUTELY untrue. This is 100% fabricated and it's not that hard to figure out since the writer of the article didn't even attempt to provide any evidence/supporting examples, he just laid this Bullcrap out there and moved right on to the next point of bashing lol.

If you study (or read about) the history of islamic conquest, you would find that they were some of the most peaceful events in all history of conquest. When taking over a new city (what is known as "opening" it, ie: making it part of the empire, which all empires have done throughout history), the locals are presented with a choice: you can either become muslim, or you can stay with your own faith but you would have to pay a "tax" in return for our services (ie: protection, market regulation, etc...). So basically the only difference is that taxes were waived for those who became muslim to encourage them. Sounds fair enough doesn't it? There was no "become muslim or I'll slit your neck" kind of deal like this article and several ignorant dumba$$es would like you to believe.

I hope I clarified a couple of things for you guys.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Do you actually believe this or are you joking? And you think that what you describe sounds "fair enough"? [​IMG]

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

don't know about peaceful in all history but the latter probably meant fair in comparison to the christian conquests/crusades.

[​IMG]

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it hilarious that fundamentalist Christians are complaining about fundamentalist Muslims. They are the same freaking thing.

"Radical" Muslims are more fundamentalists than extremists. A literal interpretation of the Bible, filled with lots of violent rhetoric by the way, is no different than that of the Koran.

Why is this "radical" Islam on the rise....which really is just saying rejection of the west?

Hmmm, could it be all the hate directed towards them?

Hate begets hates - haven't you people freakin got it yet?

14. Apps

Apps Member

My point was not that I am not aware of extremist Islam or extremist Christianity or extremist Judaism, it was simply that I wouldn't know how to measure something like "moderation" within the religion of Islam, when I am not even familiar with what amounts to "moderation" within the religions of Christianity and Judaism.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

my god sjc...

don't ask stupid questions...if you don't know that moderate muslims exist then you need to get out of your shell, interact with people, and educate yourself.

extremism is bred by culture. religion can be interpreted however someone pleases.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe NSFW

[​IMG]

If you had read any of this thread (other than its title) or other threads, you would have seen that I stated numerous times that I believe the majority of Muslims are moderate. I am asking, however, about the religion itself. I am also asking where one would draw the line between moderate and extremist Islam.

Oh, and about your great suggestion to interact with people, what do you think I am doing here?

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Please do not question AroundTheWorld in his holier than thou routine. Thank you ;).

18. LScolaDominates

Bears repeating...

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

If you're really interested in this topic, I'd strongly suggest reading Tariq Ramadan's book, Radical Reform: Islamic Ethics and Liberation

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Could you explain further? I don't understand what you are trying to say.