1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley/Francis ,Rockets best ever One/Two Punch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Its about time we gave some credit to our team leaders Steve Francis and Cat.Mobley. They are the rocket's best ever Guard Combo and they will be leading our team into the Playoffs and future Championship challenges. It will be them that will welcome our new players into the Rocket family and help them to play to their best potential. Let us not discourage but recognise with applause our STARS!!

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Mobley and Francis - the best ever Rockets 1-2 punch.

Uh.....

No

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I think he meant one-two as in one guard and two guard. And yes, that is true, but without a post player, it won't mean nuthin.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

drexeler-cassell-smith-maxwell

best guards we ever had.

dream-drexeler

dream-barkley

dream-sampson

best 1-2 punches.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats probably true. I hate to rain on your parade, but it shows how hard it is to win with little guys also. Hakeem had scrubs like purvis short, mike woodson,world b free and all kinds of assortments of has been baller and made the playoffs every yr except 1 time. This is strengthens the notion the Rockets need good big players b/c i don't know how many times it has happened, but to one of the top scoring backcourts in the league and not make the playoffs, doesn't add up.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

John Lucas- Calvin Murphy/Mike Newlin

Way way better than Francis/ Mobley

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

drexeler-cassell-smith-maxwell

best guards we ever had.

It was Drexler, Smith, and Maxwell fading. Francis-Mobley-Norris-???? will most likely eclipse that group.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lewis Lloyd & Mitchell Wiggins
    John Lucas & Calvin Murphy/Mike Newlin

Both of those were better combos then Francis and Mobley.

Francis and Mobley have tons of potential, but they have not proved squat yet.

DaDakota

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if francis and mobley continue to improve, in 5 years i might say they're our best backcourt. hopefully a good big-man will come along and help them dominate. ;)

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

what are you guys talking about? Francis is one of the most complete guards in the NBA. Sure he's got a lot to learn, but he is still a stud. Mobes is also a pretty good baller. These two are much better than any of our previous guards. How can you guys even mention max and smith with francis and mobes?

11. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

Sweet Lew and Wiggins? Wow, are you serious or joking?:confused:

12. Axeman

Axeman Member

The best one-two punch at guards that the Rockets ever had was Lewis Lloyd and Mitch Wiggins. PERIOD. They ran the break like no other team in the West. They simply blew doors on the Lakers backcourt in the West Finals in '86. Individually, neither of them was that great. But, they made that team RUN, and I mean FAST.

As a tandem, they could not be beat. But, I would also put Cassell / Drexler up against them, however, Cassell never started so I don't think that counts.

13. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

Llyod and Wiggins were good role players, but Francis is a franchise player and Cuttino is a solid 2nd option.

What made that team run was 2 all star 7 footers in the lane starting a break.

Out of curiosity I wonder how Francis and Mobely would look with 86' equivallents of Sampson and Olajuwon in the middle... say a Duncan and a Mutumbo on defense.

Lloyd & Wiggins = Christie and Bobby Jackson.

14. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Definitely not the best 1-2 punch ever. Dream in his prime with essentially anyone else on the team would be better.

15. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Our whole offense is focused on Mobley and Francis. For the numbers they put out with the amout of offense that is focused for them, they are not the best backcourst that we have ever had...yet.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Maxwell was probably better than Mobley. He was a much stronger defender. Most of us think he could have handled Jordan in a seven game series without much help.

Kenny Smith might have been just as talented as Steve Francis too. That's not an easy thing to say. Gulp, but Kenny had all the tools. The only time he was roughed up was when Derrek Harper completely took him out of his game. Plus Kenny was a natural leader.

I'd vote Maxwell and Smith.

17. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

Before Kenny Smith became a Rocket, he had an offense run through him in Sac-town and he was not nearly as effective as Francis or Mobely (although he was still a very solid player). He was not the rebounder Francis is or IMO any better as a distributor.

Maxwell however was probably a more complete player than Cuttino. He was a defensive star, and while I feel he is an inferior offensive player(too streaky & jacked up shots worse than Cat), he was not that far behind Cat as a offensive weapon. Plus Mad Max was a champion who was clutch.

I hope when we make the play off's our players are clutch.

18. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

nope.

Just now staarting to follow the rockets are we?

19. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

No sir ... i'm a die hard since 82', but you need the big stage to detrtmine whether someone is clutch.

Without the final 4 and the westrn conf. finals we dont know that bibby is the man and webber is a bia biaaaaach.

Based on the regular season one would think its webbers team, but when the rubber meets the road he hides & bibby shines.

Which is why I began with when we make the playoffs.

20. Axeman

Axeman Member

OK, then, if we're talking about <b>PURE</b> one-two punch, I don't think anything touches Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon. Before Ralph got hurt, they were tearing up the league. I mean, they just destroyed the Showtime Lakers in the West Finals. If Ralph doesn't get hurt it would have only been a year or two more and they would have been champions.

Steve and Cuttino are nowhere near that level, and I hope they don't think they are, either.