1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobile Hot Spots with Unlimited Data Opinions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Phillyrocket, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

What carrier are you on? This situation is VERY specific but if you have Verizon unlimited plan and have your sim in a Nexus 6P, you can turn on hotspot without needing a subscription for it. I suspect there are a few other phones out there with that type of capability. Nexus 6 and Pixel don't seem to have this workaround. Also if you have Verizon, you can buy one of their hotspots off of ebay or something and slap your sim into it, making it a unlimited hotspot. Obviously you can't get calls but I think if you use Verizon messages you can still get text. You can still call out via wifi with hangouts using your Verizon number as well OR go the google voice route.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm just on a Straight Talk Wireless plan. $45/month. Dad has Hughesnet satellite internet and hates it. These mobile hot spots seem to work well for rural folks who can't get cable. Really looking for him. Upside of these plans seems to be you can carry the device anywhere and it works as long as there is cellular service, unlimited data without throttling and multiple devices can connect. Downside is you can't get the same speed that's available with a typical cable connection.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I have a iPhone 7+ with Verizon Unlimited. I use tethering all the time. Especially for my daughter's ipad on the road for any length of time.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I use an android app called FoxFi to tether. Pretty good for 10 bucks

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yeah tethering is useful but I need something that can be used in place of a traditional cable based modem so multiple devices TV, computer, tablet, etc can use it and it's always on.

Was hoping someone is already using one of these and could give an opinion.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Do you know how good Verizon signal is in that area?

If it's strong, what you SHOULD be able to do is get the single voice line UNLIMITED which is about 80 bucks? Take that sim and put it into a hotspot like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon...ffcode=pg129248&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

there are several different options at different prices. I recommend buying used. I got my original one as a gift but they run like 30 bucks off of ebay. once you put the sim into the mobile hotspot, you'll have an unlimited VZ hotspot. Some hotspots allow up to 10 connections.

If he just wants a home solution. Again use that voice sim UNLIMITED and slap it into one of these.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone/

It SHOULD work the same as the hotspot.

Phillyrocket likes this.