1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Mobile] Apple iPhone 6

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Not an iPhone question, but an iPad Mini question:

I just picked up a 1st gen Mini from the Best Buy Labor Day sale for $160. Does the Retina Display make a difference? That's the only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen that I can tell. I'm only going to be using this for web surfing, emails, and fantasy football. Would appreciate some feedback, thanks!

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Does anyone know if a new iPad is rumored to be announced on the 9th?

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, makes a difference. But $160 is still a great deal, imo. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IMO, it DOES make a difference especially if all of your other devices has a resolution that's akin to the Retina Display (e.g. iphone, galaxy s4/5, htc m8, etc.). I didn't think it would have mattered much when I bought the 1st Gen mini but going back and forth between that and my s4 (and now LG G3) I just can't stomach looking at the screen for long periods of time.

but again, that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Can't wait for commercials pretending a 5.5 inch phone has never been done before.

Apple and Samsung both have the worst marketing. The only thing worse is that they apparently work.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

More than likely in a separate announcement in October.

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'd say the differences go beyond the display. The iPad mini with Retina Display has the same A7 and M7 processors in the iPad Air. The original iPad mini is still running on the old A5 processor that was in the iPad 2 from 2011. It doesn't seem you will necessarily need the extra power, but keep in mind that the original iPad mini will probably lose support/updates from Apple within the next year.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Thanks for the info guys. Rep'd you each

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

well the retina screen doesn't matter unless you use ever use one of the newer models and see how amazing double the resolution actually looks like.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

well what's funny is this samsung ad. going through airports every week, i can say it's the exact opposite.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mzMUTrTYD9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Meh. I have an M8, a Surface, and a laptop. Those I need good resolution for. I'm just needing this Mini for light travelling, quick web browsing/email, and fantasy football. For $160, I'll live without retina.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have a 1st gen mini and wouldn't mind upgrading.

I loved it for a year, but the consumerist itch is in me and I've seen my in law use his retina...

So yeah, normally it wouldn't matter much but things change and the option is there...

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would never carry an extra phone battery in this era.

14. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

That's a good price. I'm not trying to thread crap because I own the first gen ipad mini (among other ipads), but I prefer the Nexus 7 all around. Better display, it's faster, more memory, and it was cheaper. I think those can be had for $100 at Staples these days. You won't regret having a true HD display if you go that route either. And considering you already have a surface, a 7" tablet might be better for you in terms of portability and traveling.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How much are you looking at if you want to buy these iPhones without contract?

16. HR Dept

$700-800? :confused:

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I would say that easily when they first come out. I think it will be about $400 to get one with a 2 year contract. At least for one with decent gb space.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Which part is the exact opposite?

Ive never been to an airport where every plug isnt working at full capacity. If I try to charge my phone, I cant find an outlet.

19. HR Dept

Not sure about that, at least from some of the rumors I've read. I believe word was that they're nixing the 16gb phone and starting at 32 with a price point somewhere in the range of $199-249. With the 5.5 inch version having 128gb and costing $100 more.

For what its worth, I once found a working outlet at the airport in Philly right next to an empty seat. One of the biggest scores of my life.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know so many people with those battery cases for their iphones because their battery doesn't last or hold a charge for anything.