1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mobile] Apple iPhone 6

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

massive hyperbole

2. Major

Major Member

In my experience - granted, I think all "fanboys" are dumb - Android users tend to be more interested in arguing their system is better than Apple users do. There seems to be more of a "I don't care, it just works for me" attitude with Apple users. I don't see why people can't just accept that different people like different things.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That's kind of the category I fall in. I've never owned and Android and don't care to because I love my Apple. My son owns an Android and loves it, he says it's a great phone and I have no reason to doubt him. At the end of the day pick the phone you like and if you are happy with it then great.

Trying desperately to convince people that an Android is better than an Apple just seems a little insecure to me. Who cares? They are both great technology.

4. Major

Major Member

Huh? Apple sells more iPhones every year than the previous one. And they generate more profit with their 12% market share than the other 88% combined. Blackberry, it's not. It's just more of a higher margin, niche product. No different than Mac vs PC.

Those aren't low-end phones. The 5C unsubsidized is over $500. The 4S is $450. The low-end are the $99 no-contract type phones. One of the articles mentions the Galaxy Y - that's the kind of thing I'm referring to. That's where the huge growth in the market is, especially in places like China and India, where the huge growth is coming from.

Here's the US market:

http://www.informationweek.com/mobi...xtend-us-smartphone-supremacy-/d/d-id/1113491

The NPD Group's new Connected Home Report shows that Apple increased its share of the US market from 35% in the fourth quarter of 2012 to 42% in the fourth quarter of 2013. Samsung also made gains, increasing its US market share from 22% to 26%.

The Apple-Samsung dynamic is notable in that Apple increased its lead over Samsung. The iPhone 5s and 5c have proven more popular with American buyers than the Galaxy S4 and Note 3. This is not good news for Samsung, which recently lost the No. 1 smartphone vendor spot in China to local company Xioami. Samsung was also forced to cut profit forecasts as sales of the GS4 have fallen short of goals by tens of millions of units worldwide.

Again, in the high-end market where Apple is focused, they are doing OK.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

why?

Major is correct (in both his comments on marketshare and 'low end' phones). In terms of unsubsidized/off contract devices (which are prominent pretty much everywhere but the US) the 5C was not budget priced. Budget/low end phones that he is referring to are a much different animal. The only place where even 'lower pricing' could be applied - here in the US - Apple's marketshare is high (and even increased in the last year).

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I switched from Android a little after the iPhone 5 came out. I'll probably never switch back.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have owned iPhones and android phones. Once Apple got it together with the icloud and allowed me to skip that horrible iTunes thing, I never looked back at android.

8. Andrew Wiggins

Apple was innovative and cutting edge before Jobs passed. Each time you shelled out your money to Apple (via $200 and contract commission or ~ $700 one-time) you felt like you were paying for the latest and greatest technology. Sure we want thinner, lighter, and faster but that can only get you by so far. I want to feel like my phone is worth the price tag and lately I can't justify spending my money on an iPhone. I felt like they held back on the 4G and LTE for too long and purposely to make that a major selling point for their next phone that looks the same.

The Nexus 5 is just as fast if not faster than the iPhone 5s for half the price. I can't go back to the small screen of the iPhone. It looks like Apple has finally got it together and realized bigger is better. I am looking forward to seeing what Apple can do with a bigger screen (and more room) along with how Google counters with the Nexus 6.

Competition is a good thing, and Apple raised the competition for years. As of late they've been sluggish and need to step up their game if they want my business back again in the phone market. Their tablets are good, but you don't see or feel the upgrade from one gen to the next. I plan on skipping more than one generation each upgrade from now on.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apple was never cutting edge.

The original iPhone was EDGE while the competitors were pushing 3G. It lacked MMS, Copy/Paste, it did not even have an application store.

Apple succeeded because of its usability, physical designs, and marketing. These cores are still very strong.

10. Major

Major Member

Who were the competitors when the original iPhone came out? I don't believe Blackberry had 3G or Apps, and Android and WebOS didn't even exist.

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Symbian had applications. BlackBerry had applications. Windows Mobile had applications. Palm had applications.

I used to own a beat up Treo.

Even the RAZR in 2005 had 3G.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

App store
    Non mobile version web browsing
    Able to get rid of separate mp3 player/ipod

The bottom line is, the above companies no longer exist because they had a product that was ultimately proved obsolete and marked for extinction, while the iPhone's basic model still exists and is now the market standard.

Who cares who got their first... its about who did it best first, and whos still here.

#32 Nick, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  13. Christopher

Christopher Member

I have a 4S and haven't even come close to wanting the "upgrades" of the iPhones that have come after.

I'll look at the large screen iPhone but if it's not awesome ill get the new Samsung.

14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Motorola ROKR E1 was the original iPhone for replacing your iPod. It was effectively a shuffle. Most smart phones had some audio playback (MP3, WAV or WMA) at that time as well. I wanted one but was stuck on Verizon when it came out. The iPod was succeeding because it had an easy to use interface. I loved my iPods but even then from Gen 3 on there was very little innovation. Why fix what isn't broken? And even the original iPod wasn't cutting edge.

The app store was introduced in iOS2. Originally Apple had hoped for Web Apps.

Even if Apple has the best product (which I think it does), it is still subjected to the wants of the consumer and if they all want android because 'it's the best' then that's reality. Generalizing people like feeling unique and important and everyone having an iPhone today does not provide that feeling like it did in say mid 2008.

Today the smartphone market is more saturated in 2014 than in 2008. I'd be upgrading to my 3rd iPhone if I wasn't happy with my current. The jump from iPhone to iPhone 3GS was bigger than iPhone 4S to iPhone 5S. Look at the leap Android saw from 2.x to 4.x. Even this year people are less excited because the major offerings from Android are few and are also stagnating. People were b****ing about the S4 because it was not as revolutionary as they'd like, and Samsung did not meet sales expectations. Windows Phone 8 has not been able to carve out any meaningful marketshare, and BB is on the verge of collapse as market tastes have moved on.

Mobile as it appears today is matured. As a fanboy -- iPhone rules, Android drools!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A new 4.5 - 5 inch phone is coming to the market. Breaking news. I just don't find it to be much of breaking news when a new 4.5" phone is coming to the market. Doesn't that happen every other week? CNBC is funny that way.

16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Amen brother. Though it's probably so retail investors can scoop up some more Apple shares

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Women love iPhones. It will always stay relevant.

MS and android geeks can duke it out for the tech heavy categories. Nothing else has caught up to the ios Buzz factor yet.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Any non-iPhone I've had has had a terrible battery. It seems like a pretty basic thing to get right yet only Apple seemingly can. If I'm not using my phone at all during the day, how is it using 20% of its battery?

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think the mistake people make is they are focusing on brands, and hardware first.

Pick your operating system. Do you want iOS, Android, or Windows Phone? If you go with Android or WinPhone you have more hardware options.

Saying your last HTC phone had terrible battery is useless..well what operating system on what carrier? Android 2.2? Android 4.4?

iOS at the end of the day just seems more polished and stable. Apple just focuses on things that matter more to consumers like the look of the product and battery life.

I am saying that with 5S and S4 galaxy in front of me.

20. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Dude, exaggerate much? The RAZR V3 came out in 2004/5 running on GPRS networks, which is even a step under Edge. 3G networks didn't start popping up until late 2006. By then, the iPhone was months away from being announced. I remember buying an iPhone 3G in 2008 and AT&T flipped the switch for 3G in Houston the weekend of launch. Having a 3G phone in 2007 was basically useless.

The iPhone wasn't the first to have apps, but it was the first to do it with ease. To say that the original iPhone wasn't cutting edge is a blatant bias. If it was so easy to do, why didn't Windows, Symbian, or Blackberry do it first?