1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Velasquez vs Dos Santos on FOX Nov 12th

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HI Mana, Sep 2, 2011.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...ug=ki-iole_ufc_fox_velasquez_dossantos_090211

Awesome. UFC is bringing its biggest possible gun outside of the PPV gods GSP and Brock to go against Pacquiao-Marquez. Now what is the undercard going to be?

2. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Scratch that, it's a standalone, 5 round fight, nothing else scheduled. Very interesting.

3. Asian Sensation

This is good news for followers of UFC but I doubt the casual fans know who Cain V. and JDS are.

But this will be a good chance for them to get acquainted with them. 2 high energy heavyweights that are going to battle.

I was hoping for some other big names though such as Lesnar, GSP, Rampage, Penn etc.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should have some gsp vs silva at the same time as main event on free tv. That would have killed boxing.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yeah you need personalities to sell it when FOX does all their cross promotions, having the fighters in the booths and tv studios for their other sports.

Not sure if these two are up to the task. Certainly a great matchup though.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is this the first ufc event on FOX? I thought it was going to be a gsp fight?

The great thing is, that we can all watch the UFC fight while the Pacquiao event does all the pre-fight lame stuff like Nelly and Tyrese singing.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Shouldn't they add a few undercard bouts to it? It's a UFC fight, a quick KO or submission in the first round and that's that.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Thank god they didn't put a GSP fight on there.

That will drive even more casuals away from MMA. I'm so pumped for Cain vs JDS, biggest fight in a long time, ****s gonna go doooooooown.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Fox said they would air other fights if the Cain vs JDS ends early, which it probably will.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

There is no way that the UFC is going to give a potential $75M+ fight away for free. That means no GSP, no Brock, and probably none of Page/Sugar/Bones.

All that being considered, this is by far the best matchup they could have pulled, especially when the alternative was probably Tito Ortiz vs. Rich Franklin. Strategically, the UFC has been really pushing Cain as the face of Latino combat; they undoubtedly realize that the last major demographic that still watches boxing is predominantly Latino; if Cain becomes the undisputed HW champion in MMA, and Pac-Man retires Marquez, that might be one way to switch over a whole bunch of eyeballs.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree. GSP has been boring for the past year or so IMO. Casuals think MMA is two guys laying on eachother and GSP would have confirmed that.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I have to disagree here. Mexicans will always support Mexicans. If they want to cheer for Cain, they will, regardless of what happens to Marquez. Marquez isn't even the most popular boxer in Mexico. So if he does retire after the fight, which he won't unless he wins, that isn't going to force fans to leave boxing for MMA over one guy. Erik Morales is still fighting and you got young guys like Mexican Amereican Victor Ortiz, and Mexican darlings, Saul Alvarez and Chavez Jr. Both by the way, draw very well in the states. Marquez isn't the last Mexican boxer left. The only problems that lies here is the boxing/MMA fans who despises the other sport.

Its not really competition here. You can like both sports, you know like basketball and football. Like Dana said, the Fox card ends before the main event so anyone can just switch over after UFC is done. Nov 12 is a great night for fight fans in general. Free quality UFC fights on FOX and once it's done, you get to watch a war wi Pacquaio vs Marquez. Yes, its okay to like both sports. You don't have to pick one or the other.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This should be a really good fight.
    _____

Velasquez spent time on shelf wisely

“Me and dos Santos, we don’t put on boring fights,” said Velasquez, who is 9-0. “We each have game plans and we go in there and try to execute. That’s how I think about it. I don’t think about just going in to win. No. I think about going out there and demolishing my opponent. That’s all I think about.

“This is going to be a great fight to watch. You are going to see two guys go at it. We’re two guys who are athletic, who have power and we’re both well-rounded.”

Velasquez respects dos Santos’ overall skill set, but he envisions having his hand raised when the fighting ends.

Training at a highly respected camp (AKA), possessing above-average fighting skills and being the owner of an unblemished professional record are just three reasons Velasquez is confident heading into this showdown with dos Santos (13-1). Then, there's also the timing factor, which couldn't be better for him.

He didn’t spend the past year focused solely on rehabbing his right shoulder; Velasquez also used the time to improve his overall skills. He feels he's spent his time wisely but taking every aspect of his game to a higher level.

Dos Santos will face a much more refined heavyweight champion on Nov. 12 than the one he saw wrest the title away from Lesnar. Two key areas that Velasquez felt needed improvement -- his footwork and head movement -- are now up to speed with his wrestling acumen. He's even added a few wrinkles to his ground game.

“I’ve gotten a lot better, just from the time off, from a technical standpoint,” Velasquez said. “I’m happy I used the time off wisely, and everything healed up.

“There aren’t a lot of guys who can say that with time off they’ve gotten better. But my technique and understanding of the entire MMA game has gotten better and I’m happy for that.”

The thought of standing across the cage from an improved Velasquez has to be a frightening thought for any opponent, even one as talented as dos Santos.

full article

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They should put boxing on network TV like they used to.

15. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

This is going to be sick.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

FOX Unveils TV Schedule For ‘UFC On FOX’ Debut On November 12th

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Dana said they're not going against Pac-Marquez at all..he pretty much just wants to snatch up potential casual viewers or boxing fans waiting around for Pac-Marquez. It's going to act like segue to it in a way. He's actually a big Pacquaio fan.

Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida is going to be a war..I hope they have time to show it.

18. sew

sew Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yThVrdR7dW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Dana has already mentioned that the only fight no matter what, even if Cain vs JDS is a one second knockout, to air would be the Cain vs JDS fight.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I'm going with Cigano if it will end early. But if it will go the distance, Cain will win win it.