1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB wont let Dirk throw 1st pitch at World Series since he lacks national appeal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 19, 2011.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story...-nixes-dirk-nowitzki-first-pitch-world-series

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I think they're just standing behind the league in the lockout. Otherwise, the lack of broad-based appeal thing makes no sense.

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    First-pitch throwers in Texas for 2010 World Series: Nolan Ryan (Game 3), George W. Bush and Bush Sr. (Game 4) and Fergie Jenkins (Game 5)

Yes, those guys are so much more appealing.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's probably good for him, because he'd use a step-back jumper wind up, kicking his leg out and fall off the back of the mound.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It has nothing to do with the lockout or anything. It's about the fact that Dirk is not affiliated with baseball in any capacity, and more importantly he is apart of the sport that the MLB is currently right for for 2nd place in America.

The nba is a competitor to the MLB why would they want to give exposure to the nba? On their biggest stage nonetheless. It'd be like getting Derek Jeter to toss the coin at the Super Bowl.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

If that’s their rationale, it’s super crazy. I don’t see how Dirk being on TV for 20 seconds throwing out a ceremonial pitch would mean losing fans to a sport that’s not even going on right now.

Like the article said, Dirk and Terry threw out pitches right before the lockout -- basketball players are asked to do this kind of stuff all the time. I would actually think that the reigning NBA Finals MVP being a huge Rangers fans and throwing out the opening pitch would be good exposure to the game.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think this makes much sense. Their seasons basically start when the other one is finishing up.

If it were Baseball and Football or Basketball and Hockey it'd be something to think about.

7. sinobball

sinobball Member

I would like to hear a debate on this. From my personal experience MLB <<<<< NBA. MLB has its hardcore fans but even though the tickets are far cheaper I didn't see nearly as many fans as in NBA games. Moreover, from my experience I found that black people generally don't care about MLB or baseball at all.

Also, does anyone in the US follow college baseball?

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It sort of depends on the area too, at the top end, baseball has a ton more money (e.g. the nba's most valuable franchises, knicks and the lakers aren't even in the same universe as the mlb's most valuable, the ny yankees)

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I wanted Tony Romo to throw out a pitch and spread his playoff karma.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

He end up throwing it to the Cardinals catcher.....

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Something that hasn't been mentioned on here yet

An Ohio man who won an online voting contest by PepsiMax will throw out the first pitch at Game 2 on Thursday.

No joke.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Jerry Jones would still say "thats my guy"

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Lol thats awesome.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hope he flops off the mound.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The NBA is still a distant 3rd. The NBA Finals might beat the World Series in ratings when it's Lakers v. Celtics, but generally the MLB playoffs outdraw the NBA in terms of TV ratings, and MLB makes loads more money. In terms of revenue, I'm pretty sure baseball's closer to football than basketball.

To my knowledge, LA and Miami are the only cities in America where the NBA team is consistently more popular than the baseball team.

1 person likes this.
  16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Have you ever been to a baseball stadium? Or a basketball stadium?

Astros average: 25,518 - total: 2,067,016
    Rockets average: 16,191 - total: 663,839

Lakers average: 18,997
    Clippers: 17,742
    Angels average: 39,090
    Dodgers average: 36,236

Mavericks average: 20,101
    Rangers average: 36,382

Those numbers aren't even in the same ballpark (pun intended)

Baseball has twice as many home games, yet the Astros....worst team in the MLB still drew 3 times the attendance of the Rockets. As dharocks says, NBA is a distant, distant 3rd.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

HA HA GERMAN !!

1 person likes this.
  18. sinobball

sinobball Member

Yes to both hence the impressions. I was wrong with the numbers (I live in Cleveland, OH, where MLB avg. attendance ~22k and NBA attendance ~21k) but how many seats are there in a baseball field vs. a basketball court? Anyway the case in Cleveland is that the attendance is only ~50% for MLB (and this time I checked, the capacity is 43k while attendance only 22k) while for NBA is >95% (and I'm sure this percentage is all across the US). In baseball as long as you buy the cheapest ticket you can easily find a ton of empty seats right behind the bench. Plus no black people in baseball games at all (like seriously less than 20 every time I go). Some Asians, but that may be because there is a Korean guy in the team, I don't know about other cities.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Well it's true. Who really knows Dirk outside of Dallas and Germany?

Have you seen the ratings for MLB games this year? And the playoffs? Even the NBA All-star game draws more viewers than the MLB playoffs.

Furthermore, NBA tickets are way more expensive than MLB. The NBA is the #2 most popular sport in America easily.

Umm, MLB playoff ratings this year had around a 2.5-3 rating => 6-7 million viewers.

NBA all-star game last year drew a 6.2 rating alone. The playoffs this past year, the NBA finally drew upward of 20+ million. And they got the highest NBA Finals ratings for over a decade, even higher than the Boston-Lakers series.

#19 t_mac1, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Everyone who watched him whoop LeBron and Wade's ass in the Finals? :confused: