1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MLB Draft] Scouting Kyle Drabek...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Drabek is supposed to fall to the mid-first round. I really hope the Astros can snag the kid, continuing their local pitching selections. Yes, this is Doub Drabek's son; he's from The Woodlands.

Baseball America Article, Via ESPN

Scouting HS pitcher Kyle Drabek
    Baseball America

There might not be a more gifted player than Kyle Drabek in this draft, but he also comes with more makeup concerns. On the mound, he shows better stuff than his father, former Cy Young Award winner Doug.

Though he's 5-foot-11, he has the arm speed to deliver 94-95 mph fastballs and top out at 97. His best pitch might be his 78-82 mph spike curveball, which is all but unhittable. He commands the curve well, and the lone knock on the pitch is that he relies on it too much.

For more scouting reports like this one, check out Baseball America's signature draft coverage at baseballamerica.com.

"He has as good an arm as anyone," an American League scouting director said. "When his fastball and curve are on, he has the best two-pitch combination in the draft."

Drabek has a decent slider and feel for a changeup, though he rarely needs to use either at this point. He finishes a bit upright in his delivery, but his mechanics are otherwise sound and the ball comes out of his hand easily.

He could also make a case for being the best high school position player in the draft, as he's a comparable hitter to New Jersey's Billy Rowell and would have a better shot at playing shortstop as a pro.

Yet some teams are backing away from Drabek. He's high-strung on the field, and there are off-field issues as well.

"If not for his makeup, he'd be one of the top three or four picks as a 5-foot-11 right-hander, and maybe No. 1," a National League scouting director said. More likely, he'll go toward the middle of the first round.

------

For the record, the draft is coming up here very shortly, I'm just not sure when.

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I feel like I'm a part of the honor and glory that goes with this kid.

Justin, who has no future in the majors, went to my high school (St. Pius, diamonds up).

The End.

3. Two Sandwiches

I'm pretty sure that Kyle played for ORWALL and pitched against my brother's all-star team one year. It was like 5 or 6 years ago, and he was lights-out then, too.

4. Buck Turgidson

He'll most likely be gone long before the Stros pick, unfortunately.

Kid threw a 19K no-no in the playoffs this year. He's got the potential to be great. Hopefully he realizes the gifts he's been given & grows up a bit.

5. Two Sandwiches

For the record, the draft is Tuesday, and the Astros have the 23rd pick. No Drabek for us. :(

6. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

what are his "off-field issues"?

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

but really.... probably drugs lol

since his brother was on drugs half the time around school, i'll assume the same goes for kyle

8. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

and also don't forget the countless unprotected anal sex... :cool:

9. kevwun

kevwun Member

He's a bit unstable from what a friend of mine has told me. Drabek is on a lot of medication. My friend has first hand knowledge of the situation.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, he DOES live in the Woodlands.

11. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Here's his myspace, Gay p*rn. I think an over/under game needs to be played to see how long he can last until the inevitable arm surgery. :)

A young 5'11 slim kid who throws 95+ with a hard curve = surgery -Einstein

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Looks just like his dad.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I don't think so.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Is Budweiser paying him to have their logo and name on his myspace web page?

15. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Philadelphia Phillies select Kyle Drabek with 18th pick

16. Two Sandwiches

Max Sapp. Cool name. :)

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

UH's Brad Lincoln goes 4th to Pirates.

18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Baseball America info on Max Sapp. Kind of a reach it seems. This guy another Munson?

36. Max Sapp, c/1b
    School: Bishop Moore HS. Class: Sr.
    Hometown: Windermere, Fla.
    B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 225. Birthdate: 2/21/88.
    Scouting Report: Scouts in Florida are split on whether Sapp's catch and throw skills play behind the plate, but his bat should play anywhere. He's big and strong, but his body doesn't exude athleticism and agility. He's barrel-chested and thick, and he elevated his stock considerably this spring when he came out in good shape. He has above-average arm strength and his hands are adequate, but he's not nimble, doesn't block balls well, and rates as a below-average receiver. He struggles with his footwork and exchange on throws to second base. But even those scouts who predict he'll have to move to first base like his bat. He has plus raw power, good plate coverage and a fair approach at the plate. He reduced a high leg kick he uses as a trigger, but still has too much of an uppercut swing. He has made consistent, hard contact in high school and performed well in big games. He has good makeup and has worked to improve defensively. He could become a prolific college power hitter if he winds up at Florida State, but he's expected to sign if he's chosen in the top three rounds. His power potential makes it likely a club will take him in that range.

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB
    .572 70 14 40 11 0 9 48 0

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Astros 2nd round pick.

109. Sergio Perez, rhp
    School: Tampa. Class: Jr.
    Hometown: Tampa
    B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 225. Birthdate: 12/5/84.
    Scouting Report: After winning the Division II south regional and advancing to the College World Series in Montgomery, Ala., Tampa should graduate its top pitcher, Perez, to the draft, perhaps as early as the third round. He threw the Spartans' first no-hitter in a decade and dominated at times this spring, posting a .180 opponent average. Perez works off a lively fastball that has been up to 95 mph and sits near 92. He complements his heater with a hard, short slider. When he stays on top of it, he drives it down and away from righthanded hitters. He has a quick arm, but his arm action is violent, somewhat similar to that of Orioles closer Chris Ray. Perez struggles to repeat his delivery, which hinders his fastball command, although he has average control. He gets under his slider, showing it early and causing it to hang in the strike zone. His wide, thick frame doesn't offer much projection.

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO
    9 2 2.03 14 0 80 49 26 114

20. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

both of those picks look like reaches. however, they were both expected to go somewhere in the top 3 or 4 rounds and are considered very good prospects. from what i've read about perez is that he looks to be a reliever and considering the state of the astros pen, that pick could help out sooner rather than later.