1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB All Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nimo, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was actually more impressed with the mid-air diving catch/tag by Correa.

The athleticism of this team is underrated/underappreciated. They got a bunch of guys who could probably excel in the NFL, if they really wanted to be stupid and put their lives on the line (they'll have to just settle for playing football in dinosaur outfits).

2. Buck Turgidson

There's been a newish precedent set in the past few years of taking a dominant setup guy. I really am rooting for Harris to make it, that would just be an awesome bit of recognition for him.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be even more likely for him if he can get some well earned save opportunities/conversions... its no secret I think they should have removed Luke after his previous blown save prior to last night, and his days have to be numbered as the only 9th inning guy this team tries out there.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, after last night I'm of the opinion that Harris has earned an opportunity. I've been very patient with Gregerson, and it isn't as if he's been terrible (scoreless in 6 of his last 7, and that one he gave up was harmless.) I still expect him to be an very valuable and important part of closing out games.

But he has failed enough, and Harris has been dominant. Giles team control has been mentioned a lot, but Harris is team controlled through 2019 as well. And it isn't as if his success is completely out of nowhere. Over the last 4 years his ERA is 2.39. He's earned the chance to see if he can run with the gig.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's a good set-up/bullpen pitcher... just not a great closer. I would guess 4 blown saves at this point of the season would probably be one of the worst conversion rates in the league for anybody who still has that job (I know the Rangers demoted their guy pretty quickly with less blown saves).

Harris deserves a chance... and Feliz deserves more regular higher leverage appearances. Would be fine with a Giles-Feliz-Harris trio while Luke gets some much needed rest and a good feel for that slider again. Then, Luke fills in for whoever is taxed, including Harris.

6. Buck Turgidson

I thought we were talking about the All Star Game.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Move it to the Gregerson thread? Oh wait, there isn't one.

I guess it could be discussed in one of the 3 ongoing Giles threads...

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Castro should be an All Star this year, if he keeps on doing what he is doing.

Very good defensive catcher, and as another poster posted already he is 3rd in the AL in OPS by everyday catchers.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Disagree, this year Lindor has better numbers so far, and better defensively.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

The only way to make sure they make it is to vote for them. Don't leave it up for others to do.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

cant believe the MLB all-star game decides home field advantage is the WS. What a travesty

12. Buck Turgidson

Never underestimate the dip****tery of Bud, Drayton and the other owners (at the time).

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Freaking inbred KC fans.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How is Ichiro not even on the ballot? He's batting .350

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I may be in the minority, but I am glad the ASG counts for something.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its even less than a minority... it may honestly just be you and Selig.

Its a farce... if they really want to have something tangible determine the home field advantage, it should be the NL vs. AL interleague record, not the result of an exhibition game.

If managers were really taking it seriously, they would be managing it like a real game... best starting pitchers only, best players in the lineups, rare substitutions. Instead, they're still trying to get everybody in the game... that's for the fans... but also happens to determine a key part of the post-season.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And the managers - who are chosen based on *last year's results*, so we potentially don't even get fully-engaged managers - don't even have a say in the (majority of) the starting line-up.

If they treated it like a real game - only the best make it, regardless of team; the managers of the two winningest teams at the break are chosen and they get to set their line-up... a) it'd make for a better, more intriguing game; b) it would give more credibility to the outcome having significant meaning.

19. Major

Major Member

I agree. It's better than the old method of just alternating every year. At least this way, something on the field has SOME impact.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Freaking Astros fans for not voting