1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by cardpire, Jul 16, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

What odds would you have given me a year and a half ago that Jason Castro would catch the last pitch Mariano Rivera throws in an All-star game, and it would be in 2013?

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't think Castro will get much if any time behind the plate tonight, but I guess one can hope! I think Leyland must know that Castro is subpar defensively.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I just stopped in here to say 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'... tuned in for 5 min and it was 5 min too many. Judging by the amount of posts in this thread, I can see that nobody else cares either lmfao. Baseball is worse than the WNBA.

1 person likes this.
  4. cardpire

cardpire Member

noted.

1 person likes this.
  5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Turned it on and saw an astro cap in the AL dugout. Thought it was a batboy or something. I'd totally forgotten the stros were now in the American league.

6. 713

713 Member

baseball is dead. :(

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was the best Castro could've hoped for. 3rd catchers never get an AB but do sometimes get to catch an inning. Mariano is in in the 8th. Maybe Castro will get to catch the 9th.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't think we will see Castro unless the AL can score another run. I would still much rather watch this than the NFL or NBA games.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

didn't know he was the 3rd catcher when the game started, and he shouldn't have been.

royals had more than one allstar.

crap like that really annoys me. especially when you see players playing 7 innings.

10. Korver167

Korver167 Member

I watched the whole game just to see Castro get one AB.

I feel robbed of my time now.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Heck, the Royals had three All-Stars. Alex Gordon, Salvador Perez and Greg Holland.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

yup. the whole game is a gimmick. let's make the all-star game important, but have no problem handing out a sham mvp.

either make the game an exhibition or don't.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Only 2 AL batters didn't play, Castro and Ben Zobrist. Kipnis probably wouldn't have played if Cano hadn't gotten hit in the knee.

The MLB all star game has conflicting ideas. On one hand, it wants to appease everybody so it makes sure that every team is represented. But then they also want it to matter. So they prioritize winning by making the game determine World Series home field and not allowing ties. This inevitably means some players aren't going to get to play. Starters will play longer and some players will be held back in case the game goes extra innings. If a team has a lone representative and they're not a starter or 1st backup, they're probably not going to play and that conflicts with the idea of appeasing everybody and every team getting to participate.

If you want to please everybody, then ditch the competitive angle. The game doesn't matter and it ends after 9. That way the manager can make sure everybody plays and if they lose, who cares?

Or at least make it Little League rules. Every player gets at least 1 AB or 3 outs in the field and players can re-enter the game after being taken out.

And if you really want it to be competitive, then ditch the "every team gets a representative" rule. Take the best players period and fill out a normal sized roster. The NFL and NBA don't require that every team be represented and nobody gives a ****.

Seriously, I'd really kind of rather have no all-star than be given a token spot with no chance of playing.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I prefer the starters get 3 at bat myself. And I'd like to see the SP go deeper, but understand why they don't. And that way if you get to play you are lucky, but don't expect it. And while I do like to see my Astro, I don't think I should expect it. Let the best players and fan favorites play and I'd be a lot more interested to see that. The fact the game matters is a joke. No matter the format. and one day someone will look back on that decision as borderline moronic.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

MLB All Star Game drew far more viewers last night than the NBA All Star Game did in February.

It was Fox's best ratings night of the summer. Judging how well an event is received because of a lack of response in the "Other Sports" forum of a fan site for a basketball team probably isn't the best idea.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Men 50 and older made up 34% of the All-Star audience - highest % ever. In '03 it was 30%. In '93 it was 24%.</p>&mdash; TVSportsRatings (@TVSportsRTGS) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVSportsRTGS/statuses/357594921479307264">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Between '93 and '13, ASG has lost 51% of its average audience and 63% of its Male 18-49 rating</p>&mdash; TVSportsRatings (@TVSportsRTGS) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVSportsRTGS/statuses/357595379329548289">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Median age up to 53 years - oldest ever</p>&mdash; TVSportsRatings (@TVSportsRTGS) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVSportsRTGS/statuses/357595529397542914">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/jasonrmcintyre">@jasonrmcintyre</a> NBA AS on TNT had a 5.7 Men 18-49 and 6.37 M18-34. MLB had 4.5 and 3.5. NBA had 8 mil viewers. MLB 11 mil.</p>&mdash; TVSportsRatings (@TVSportsRTGS) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVSportsRTGS/statuses/357597933656473600">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/jasonrmcintyre">@jasonrmcintyre</a> NBA audience had median age of 34 years</p>&mdash; TVSportsRatings (@TVSportsRTGS) <a href="https://twitter.com/TVSportsRTGS/statuses/357598028401618944">July 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

As posted by J.R though, more viewers doesn't always mean that it's better than the thing it's compared to.

I'm sure the MLB would rather have the 8 mil viewers + the better demographic number.

18. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

"oh my goodness, baseball is dying." :rolleyes:

Last night's All-Star game is not that bad. It's on the same level as the NFL Pro Bowl.

MLB will get better when it's playoff time in October.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Baseball isn't making any new fans to replace the ones that grow old and die. That is just the crux of the problem. MLB will have some work to do in the future.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd say NBA best, MLB second, NHL third, MLS 4th, NFL fifth. The only competitive game is MLB. NBA just does the whole thing better.