1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ weighs in on who is better - Kobe or LBJ

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dream Shake 81, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

rock4ever what I said is Kobe as the better career right now--thus would go down as the "greater player" if their career's ended now. But at 25 Kobe didn't have an MVP in the regular season or playoffs--so it is premature to write Lebron off at 25. That is why I said check back in 7 years, minimum.

If you want to argue at this moment/this season/next season, Kobe is a better player than Lebron, you are in a small minority. Heck Lebron, and Kobe, are better right now than Jordan too. But they are not better than a Jordan 20 year ago and are very unlikely to threaten Jordan among the all-time greats or best ever non-center.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Ur right, Kobe's career is better than Lebrons. But the whole 7 years thing is bogus. Lebron hasnt proven he can step up as the "man" in the playoffs consistently. Which is why he'll NEVER be on Kobe's level

I disagree. If Kobe wins another ring he'll tie Jordan. This will mean two different dynasty's with two different teams in two different era's. If Kobe gets his 6 ring, you can argue him as the greatest to play the game.

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

HUGE difference. Kobe's team that year was garbage and obvioulsy the underdogs who werent even supposed to be in the playoffs. Lebron's team had won 60+ games and went into the playoffs as favorites. Theres no reason why the so called BEST player on the BEST regular season team, cant lead his team out of his own conference :rolleyes:

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Kobe wasn't "the man" on a title winning team until he was 30. Lebron is 25. This is not that complicated to understand.

If all that mattered was titles won Robert Horry would be the greatest player who wasn't a Celtic.

Kobe needs at be playoff MVP, the man on a title winning team, at least 3 more times to give a series argument vs Jordan (though I think serious analysis that looks at PER, other stats and their individual domination relative to peers will overwhelmingly favor Jordan). But unlike you I won't say it can't happen or will never happen, I just believe it is extremely unlikely to happen.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

The Western conference is deeper, but it's not tougher once you get past the first round of the playoffs. The Lakers, Celtics, Magic, and Cavs were the four best teams in the league the past two years. Three of them played in the East. Lebron failed to get past teams that were better than anyone the Lakers had to play in the Western conference playoffs.

Also, I thought basketball was a team sport.

6. npz

npz Member

Those 60 win seasons (including 66 wins), complete with playoff collapses is proof of Bron's greatness. He also took a team in the Eastern Conf to the Finals where he got swept by the Western team that already had 3 titles under their belt.

7. npz

npz Member

Bron is not the man on a title winning team now. That went out the window.

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

MVP is an ove award. Steve nash has more MVPs than Shaq, what does that tell you? And Nash hasn't made the finals once in his career. I know its a regular season award but you give it to the great ones (who get the great label tagged on them for being in championship contention). It is what it is and MVP is a cheap regular season award

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Over -rated* award

10. Steve_Francis_rules

They haven't even played a game yet. Can you at least wait until the pre-season before deciding who's the man on this team? :rolleyes: