1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MJ & the luxury tax

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ziggy, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"Jordan could change the league's financial structure. The luxury tax that caused teams to tighten their purse strings this summer goes into effect only if player salaries exceed 55.1 percent of all NBA income, which includes everything from television revenues and ticket sales to sales of beer and bobblehead dolls. Jordan's return would lead to a boost in league income without adding significant salary. If the boost was big enough, it could lower the percentage of income being given to players back down to 55.1 percent or below, thus eliminating the need for a tax."

-This was taken from The Sporting News magazine, pg 59, written by Sean Deveney.

Intresting stuff.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Has anybody ran a cash flow projection with expected attendance increases for Wizards' games?

Mango

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A colleague of mine at RealGM, Tony Farr, wrote an article a little while back about how he doesn't expect the NBA to have to pay the tax anyway because of the cost-cutting done this season. According to him, if they have a decent but not great revenue stream this season, they will be able to dodge it. I suppose Jordan's return won't hurt in that regard, but it seems quite possible the teams would be able to avoid it either way. I wonder though if it is good for the league to avoid it in the first place. I think the whole lot may be better off if they were forced to redistribute the wealth a bit.

4. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Yeah I agree Juan, the luxury tax as a threat was effective, but will (unless pro basketball falls completely on it's face) not be a factor this season. Revenue projections are way out in front of the cutoff figure.

On Jordan: Man, it's not that I am worrying he will or will not come back. It's not even the possibility that his return will be "good for the game" or he will increase the "marketability" of basketball in general. Personally, I just don't care if he comes back or not ... it makes no difference to me.

I talked to dozens of people on this over the last month .... talked to a group at a shoot around at a city gym last week ... talked to guys I hang with who are basketball fanatics. Bar buddies who I spend probably far too much time watching the Stros and the Titans. These guys (and a fair number of girls too) are B-Ball fans of the Rockets, Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Miami and yes even a couple of Washington Wizbangers ........ they all essentially said the same thing .....

yawn ... yea ... so what .... been there, done that .... move on, next subject ... liked his game, just don't care about him anymore .... bada bing bada groan .... gimme I-Man .... Vince can sky .... stay home Mikey, even if ya got game and that ....

I think the league and certainly the media is over estimating the flurry of interest in this whole thing ..... I mean the game is now beyond - what MJ had for breakfast, and what he thinks about the zone defense .....

..... I fear that MJ returns! will be like Magic returns! ..... only shorter, maybe more painful for the die hard MJ fan and certainly destined to be just another payday for all those media spin merchants trying to get their fifteen minutes of time analysing "why it didn't work out for MJ and the NBA .... breaking news at eleven"....

.... IMHO, anyway ......

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Magic-MJ comparison is interesting, oeilpere. MJ's about the same age now as Magic was when he attempted his failed comeback. The difference may be that Jordan has kept himself in better shape than Magic did, and of course expectations aren't as high (Magic came back to a talented playoff team, where Jordan would be starting for a mediocre-at-best Wizards squad that hasn't made the playoffs in 3 or 4 seasons).

As for the luxury tax, it's already had its desired effect because it's given some owners a justified reason to hold the line on salaries (like the Heat and Pacers).

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

So, pops, you are not rooting for MJ to come back, take a very bad team(last year) to the playoffs, win the eastern conference, take on the much hated Lakers in the Finals (unless the Rockets rise up) and sweep Shaq-Fu and Kobe Cry-ant?

I know how far fetched it seems, but it is possible, isn't it?

:cool:

7. haven

haven Member

At first, I didn't like the idea of a Jordan return.

Now I do. What's the difference? Well, it seems he's really doing it for the love of the game. He's always been a decent guy, and played better than anybody.

I guess it could really upset some people if he's only good now, but I think it will be refreshing almost. He certainly ain't doin' it for the money.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Come on Finn*, how can Michael sweep the Lakers when WE'RE going to beat the Lakers! Go Rockets! :D ;) I don't mind Michael Jordan coming back, I really don't see the big deal in it. I think it'll be interesting, and I think Jordan is capable of pushing the Wizards to be a .500 team, especially if Alexander, Hamilton and Brown play to their potential, Lue improves, Rodman comes on board. Maybe Mike could use a sharp shooting veteran on his team! We have one. All you have to do is give us Jahidi White Michael! Come on! :)