1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitchell Report-Whose Name Do You Want to See?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketman95, Dec 12, 2007.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If it isn't true, I hope these players while a major class action lawsuit against MLB and George Mitchell for libel. And if he doesn't name Red Sox that will make it all the easier.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It doesn't border on slander because they are public figures. But anyway even if it did, let them sue and then sign sworn affidavits that they have never used steroids or GH.

Why should Barry Bonds and McGwire be villified when they simply had the misforutne of being in the small minority of steroid users to have been subpoenaed?

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Deion Sanders..........no, seriously. :)

4. justtxyank

That's what I'm hoping for. And they can sue if this in any way impacts their ability to earn income. If Roger Clemens gets dropped from HEB commercials because of this and it is a lie for example, he has a lawsuit to file.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Public figures can win slander suits....if someone says they know a guy is using steroids because they were a trainer, and it's an outright lie...that's defamation.

6. SamFisher

I thought you were saying the report itself bordred on slander - which it doesn't because there is no chance the players would be able to show actual malice.

As far as suing the witnesses - if it is as easy as you say then I expect a rush to the courthouse then by the libeled players. I mean why didn't anybody sue Jose Canseco? :confused:

7. MadMax

Maybe because they weren't nearly as damaged as they would be here. This isn't mindless Jose Canseco babbling on. This is information given for the purpose of this "grand report" to name names. I still have no idea why they're doing this.

Do you need actual malice? Isn't there something about reporting false information to the public irresponsibly that makes it actionable? I'm thinking of celebrities suing tabloids. They don't sue the source..they sue the tabloid.

8. updawg

updawg Member

they won't sue for slander because then during discovery it will be ugly and they will open themselves up for perjury.

I agree, that this list seems irresponsible, but we will see in a little bit.

9. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

I'm looking for about 80% of the current and past Yankee players to be on that report. LOL.

10. SamFisher

in a suit for libel or slander of a public figure, yes.

I'm not sure why you suppose it is more likely that the report is based on lies and slander given the apparent depth of baseball's problesm with performance enhancing drugs.

Most of the things that mindless Jose Canseco was babbling about 5 years ago has pretty much been validated at this point.

I guess you can circle the wagons around MLB if you want but if I had to bet money on it being more likely than not that the players in the report used performance enhancing drugs, that is an easy bet.

11. MadMax

unless someone gets named who is absolutely positive he won't have to lie when he says, "i didn't touch the stuff."

12. MadMax

1. didn't tom cruise or some other celebrity win a case against a tabloid recently? hasn't that become more common?

2. i don't suppose it's based on lies. i just think it's possible. i think if you're gonna throw out these accusations in some grand report there ought to be positive tests and not merely reports from trainers.

3. i'm not circling any wagons...i just don't get the point of naming names at this point. i think baseball had a huge problem....that isn't exclusive to baseball....but to look back in time with some report to name names just seems pointless to me. positive tests are one thing...this is something else.

13. updawg

updawg Member

I agree, it just seems like a lot of hearsay. I'm surprised they are doing it. I am expecting them to have more information to back up this list. From what little I know, it doesn't seem like a lot to have a master list of dopers.

But, it will be entertaining, so thats good.

14. SamFisher

I think it seems pointless to you in part because you have made it obvious that you're a die-hard MLB booster.

Anyway I'll wait for the lawsuits to roll in.

(crickets chirping)

15. justtxyank

The man running the operation is a former Disney Board member, share owner of the RedSox, former team president of the RedSox, and is currently employed as an adviser to the, you guessed it...Red Sox.

I wonder if he'll wear his 07 WS ring when he reads the report.

16. tulexan

tulexan Member

He will probably recommend that MLB disband the Yankees

17. justtxyank

Well since sources have already said the Yankees will be hit hard by this report I think he's going to do a good enough of a hit job on the team to not need to recommend that. Imagine if he names like 5 current Yankees, they get suspensions, and he names no members of the Red Sox.

I don't understand how MLB could allow this type of thing to be done with such an utter lack of objectivity.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

yeah wha a shock that ther are several reported "prominent Yankees" who will be named.

whos gonna be named from the Sox? Nomar, Trot, Kapler? LOL

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

ESPN is reporting that Roger Clemens is named.

DD

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

entire thing is a farce. MLB couldn't have been samrter about this and get someone more impartial to do this?