1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Misguided Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 15, 2012.

1. slickster

slickster Member

I just report on what I see and state how I feel.

And that means stating that the rockets have looked like sh#t from game 3 on.

Do I like that? No. Does this make me feel good? No.

I'd LOVE to see a coaching change because the team's offense looks like a turd right now. If my saying that "make you real mad" that's on you.

And a coach's job is to find out how to produce MAXIMUM results. No one honestly believes the rockets are playing as well as they could.

The bottom line is that the rockets look worse when they receive more coaching.

That's a reason for concern.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I see the Rockets as something like the Trailblazers from years ago when they got Brandon Roy

James Harden is our Brandon Roy,
    Omer Asik is our Joel Przybilla/Oden,
    Parsons, T Jones & Motiejunas our Nic Batum/Outlaw/Webster/(Lamarcus Aldridge), etc.
    Jeremy Lin actually better player going forward than their Jarrett Jack, Steve Blake, Sebastian Telfair, Juan Dixon, Sergio Rodriguez, Jerryd Bayless, Dan Dickau...

If the Rockets can tank to get a Lamarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy type on the team they'll be set. If Roy and Oden stayed healthy, Blazers woulda been ANOTHER championship contender in the West. It took some incremental improvement from a 20 win team to get there

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm cool with it and that's why I haven't said much,but I do have a few things to say. The youngest team in the nba stuff is overrated. Why? Remember when the blzers were the team of the future not to long ago? Point is, okc has 2 all nba players 25 or younger. When I se the rockets, I only see 1 potential all star who is playing and that's harden. The other guys with all star talent (jones and donuts) aren't playing while delfino is who is a nobody.

Other than that, i m cool, it needed to happen 3 yrs ago or so,but at least the wheel has started.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

That blazer team fell apart because of injury, not because they not good enough.

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Let me make an assumption also. By the quality of your posts, I'd imagine you're still in puberty, and perhaps a grade or two behind your age group. Feel free to see my posts from 2006 to see whether I'm a LOF. And yes, Lin is shooting bad. If he could go to your rec club, you'd probably block all his shots too.

And no ... we don't want to know much about you (contrary to your bloated opinion of yourself). Your posts are all we need to know about you.

Ok, changed my mind. Are you that Philipino boy by the name of Sigmund?

#125 mike_lu, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

When you project images of other people based on what goes on in your mind, and make it public, it does look really bad on you.

And when you get a few more years under your belt and move closer to graduating from high school, or maybe get into university, try to take a subject called statistics where you can learn what sample size means. Just don't go to the JCDenton School of Statistics.

7. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I've been saying this in every thread where majority of the comments have been ridiculously negative. We, particularly new members who hopped on the board right after Lin and Harden joined the team, need to have a more optimistic perspective. Every game all I'm looking for are flashes of greatness. I already know nothing will be consistent this year simply because we are young. But when you see a great defensive possession turn into a beautiful fastbreak for a dunk or the ball touch everyone's hands for an easy bucket you just have to smile and know we have something special.

There's a reason why this board is called ClutchFans and not ClutchCritics guys. Analysis is one thing, hating is another.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think most expectations were about right before the Harden trade. Now that Harden is on board, many have gone overboard and think playoffs is a given.

What many seem to be forgetting is that we gave up our best player to get Harden. While Harden is better than Martin, the gulf is not so large as to say it takes us from a 30-35 win year to a 45-50. Simply put, Harden doesnt make us 15 games better. Maybe half that giving us .500 potential.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You must be on some narrow minded crusade. Is it possible that the coaches are just trying to develop the players on such a young team? And you are sitting back and criticizing over and over something YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. NBA basketball and NBA coaching. Give it a break. Expand your horizons as an NBA fan. If you do then we will be relieved that you are posting intelligent thoughts instead of being vinyl that skips back and plays the same thing over and over.

10. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Thank you!-I actually think some are still feelin that....but the influx of fans to this site...to me it seems like some "X only fans"...similar to the YOF, and TOF, except now this new group of fans is just fans of player x, or y

Great post! Way too much negativity, and LOL smh if we didn't land Harden outta no where two practices before the first game, the team would be def. lottery bound, horrible, ugly ugly ball....I am not sure what people are expecting-again great post thank you for an actual good thread!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding! Great OP, Jeff.

12. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Uhhh no arguably playing better than Lin AT TIMES, and more consistent on D....both not great shooters...but TD can shoot it...and shoot u out....but nah TD is being paid for too, so added bonus if he does anything, let alone may get better....hope the same for Lin, but maybe his knee is still bothering him, jumping and running...

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think most people's expectations are not that high now, still. They just like to complain and criticize. They just don't know what they really want, and contradict themselves with every criticism.

- They don't want the mediocrity treadmill, but they don't want the Rockets to lose.
    - They don't want the Rockets to lose, but they want to play the rookies (and don't want to trade for or play experienced players).
    - They want to play the rookies, but not the young players also in need of development.
    - They want to develop the players, but don't want inconsistency.
    - They don't want the inconsistency, but they also don't want to give players time to build chemistry before calling them busts/jokes/regressed or saying it's time to trade them.
    - They don't want Morey to treat players like assets, but 8 games into a player's career at the Rockets is seen enough, time to trade his ass out.
    - They want consistency and chemistry out of young players, and think it's the coach's fault we haven't got it 8 games into a season playing 23 year olds with limited NBA experience.
    - They want consistency and chemistry, and wins, and then still want a high draft pick.
    - They say the GM should do whatever it takes to get a high draft pick, and they get a high draft pick (#3) that panned out @ 23 years old locked in for the next 6 years, and they fret about losing an unproven #12 pick and a potential 4-14 lottery pick (in a weak draft).
    - They say they want Dwight, and they say they don't want Dwight. Then they say they should've got Dwight by giving the same package to Orlando that they gave to OKC, when they said that's giving up too much.
    - They say they want Bynum, and now they don't want Bynum, and now they're polling to see whether we should go after him, after they said the GM should've cut loss with T-Mac and Yao due to health concerns earlier to get better assets (I mean players) back.
    - They say we should take high upside players we could develop over time, as opposed to safe picks, and we draft one with the aim of converting him from 4 to 3 over time, and they call him a bust 1/3 of the way into a lock-out season.
    - We draft another high risk high upside player, and 8 games into a season suffering from anxiety + child-like behaviour, they poll whether this is the GM's worst move ever.
    - They call this guy and that release the kraken guy nut-cases, but not-so-secretly clamour for the return of the PG that butted heads with the head coach publicly, and all but asked for a trade out of town (and actually netted the #3 draft pick signed for the next 6 years)
    - They want an alternative to the head coach, and get it, and after a 2-1 start including a loss by 3 pts to the defending champions on two phatom calls and LeBron going Reggie Miller on top of what he usually does, they want that coach gone as well.
    - Maybe they did want a tanking coach after all ... but why did they want him gone in the first place?

- But if they didn't want the tanking coach (and losses), didn't want to develop the players through the inconsistencies and struggles, and didn't want the constant trading of players/assets to upgrade, why didn't they accept the mediocrity treadmill?

Oh, and we're back to the top for another round of criticisms. Let's see if I can take it down another path, and bring it back to the same 'inconclusion' again.

#133 mike_lu, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  14. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

wow TLDR..J/K. It's not inconsistency in ppl's opinions. We just have the positive fans and the whiney ones.

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So tell me this... When the Rockets were leading in the games they lost was that bad coaching...

In the 4 games that they lost they were either in the game or leading up to the 4th quarter... now am I saying that this is the greatest offense in the world NO... But it's not all on the coaching staff.. It's a two way streak where the execution has been awful and understanding situations has been terrible.. This goes back to what the OP was stating.

A lot of your post have to do with Lin against the whole freaking world and especially against the Rockets coaching staff... This team is doing a lot better than expected and headed of it's rebuilding schedule..

Lin, like all the other Rockets are professional and should be able to handle the remarks positive and negative stated by the coaches. What they need to do is work on strengthening weakness and improving their game..

T_Man

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

how can anyone have lofty expectations.

the NBA has about 10 players spread across about 6 teams who will compete for a championship. everyone else is just trying to build for the future and hope to be good enough.

if you're a rockets fan, you're hoping harden will become a top 10 player. and you're hoping daryl morey can pull another houdini and land us a star big man to pair with harden.

17. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Hey clutch, um yeah. This guy........warning please?