1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Misguided Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 15, 2012.

1. psingh34

psingh34 Member

we are playing young players... yes we are not playing our first rounders from this year but look at how many players we are playing that have less than 4 years of exp..

harden, lin, patterson, parsons, morris, asik

the only players we are playing that can be classified as not young players are douglas and delfino ..

I dont think they will end up with the 14th pick but if they do that means they have some good young pieces that are playing well.. .. what would you have them do to suck more bc essentially that is what you are calling for

2. sando

sando Member

I love the current Rockets. Just fun to watch, just fun.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody give that Jeff guy Hakeem status already.

4. dlite316

dlite316 Member

5. joesr

joesr Member

Should make this OP a standard in reading before be given your thread starting abilities imo.

6. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Until he gets better with his left hand there's no point running PNR plays farout. How many times do people have to say that until you understand.

Whats the point of running a pnr if you can't pull up or go left? Where is Jlin going to go? He's going right. So there's NOOOOO point running a pnr until he gets better.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all Harden's fault. His arrival and the first two games raised expectations 10 times.

Okay, it's also Linsanity's fault.

1 person likes this.
  8. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

Best post in the history of clutchfans.

9. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Whats the deal with Lin can't go left? He worked on going left all off season, and I see him doing it in game WTF

10. torocan

torocan Member

It's called exagerration or misperception.

Lin's left side dribble was considerably weaker than his right side dribble last season. He worked on it heavily during the offseason.

This season his left side dribble is still weaker than his right side dribble drive, but the gap is significantly smaller.

He's currently effective going left, he's just not as beastly as going right. That in and of itself isn't a significant fault, they just want him more ambidextrous so he's more effective off both sides.

Keep in mind, the VAST majority of NBA players have a strong/weak side when it comes to dribble drives. However, in the case of Lin (and a handful of other players) it's more of an issue as he's one of the more prominent members on a scouting report.

Essentially, when teams spit out their scouting reports of how to stop the Rockets, it starts with Harden, then the next names is Lin. After that they are starting to look at Parsons and Asik. The rest of the players currently barely get a footnote.

So he'll keep working on his left side dribble drive, but it's nowhere near the weakness that it was last year.

And honestly, I don't expect it to be a weakness of any kind for all that long. Learning how to operate off both sides is just reps and practice more than anything. He'll keep getting stronger on that side, then the simple tactic of forcing left/right suddenly becomes a waste of time.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I was going to make a thread like this later today but you beat me to it. This is the reason I joined clutchfans, i'm getting tired of all this crying and whining. What do you expect from the youngest team in the NBA? 72-10? NO. We're young with coaches with no experience and we will have ups and downs while Harden and Lin grow. Get used to this! Michael Jordan struggled before becoming the great player we know today, Kobe did, Kevin Durant and the Thunder did and we'll see the same with the Rockets. Deal with it.

12. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

^ So Harden has a weak right, and that doesn't stop the coaches running screens for him!

Excuses, excuses, blarg

13. torocan

torocan Member

No, but Harden is the primary scorer and they have had limited time to institute sets.

If you're the coach and have a list a mile long of stuff to add, you have to prioritize and work on what you can.

What we've seen mainly is some PnR for Harden, very little screening in general for ANYONE, and alot of playsets for Asik.

Really, if you think the Rockets are setting any kind of real screens, you need to look over what a real quality, multi-layered screen and PnR offensive set looks like.

Here's a link to a video of how D'Antoni mixes screens and multi-layered picks into an offense to break shooters, rollers, cutters and the PG free.

Review this video and ask yourself if we have anything remotely as effective as this yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QK5yjAos7vI

Thanks to Roxxy for digging up this link btw.

14. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Thanks for the OP Jeff... Knowing how many newbies around, you should post more to provide a more balance perspective.

I like this young team.. even PPat and Tomey Douglas...
    I don't think we should be playing the rookies yet.. They will get their time later, and need to earn with the right attitude..
    Except for closing games (still debatable though), the coaches are doing things according to priorities (in a new team yet to gel)..
    Harden is still a young man adjusting to be the main man.
    Regarding Lin - it is best to forget Linsanity, and allow him to re-learn and re-adjust to the new team without the pressure of expectations esp from his own fans... He is a good starting guard, but still need a lot more skill-sets to be above average.. let the coaches guide him.. I think they would know better than waste an investment.. and please stop all this paranoia, see the bigger picture instead.
    Asik - needs more power and aggression..
    4-4 is considered very good ..

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

repped. Almost everyone realistically thinks this team is at best a 30 win team before Harden, and maybe 35 to 40 depending on how long Harden can keep up his play on a consistent basis. So of course people are going to suck, if they didn't we wouldn't have such low expectations

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Houston fans suck.

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

We are supposed to be a mediocre team at best ourselves. Actually we were a veteran mediocre team before, and now we are an upside mediocre team. Is that bad? Most experts expect 30 wins out of us at best. Young teams are inconsistent.

You, of all people, just cannot stop blaming Morey for something. You haven't stopped since Morey didn't get you a star on draft night.

Btw, great to see th clutch crews here!

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Lin could do with a better left hand, but it didn't stop him with PnR last year.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

But...but...but... that's what SMS said, so it must be true!!

And every other PG in the league has two right hands, non?

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

I expected 20 wins and I hope it's less than that so that we can get our big lottery pick.