1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Park to undergo renovations...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Buck Turgidson

Would be distracting to the hitter, will never happen.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Thats a good thing for the astros and the best thing about this is the fans aren't paying for this project.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Are there no seat in the outfield of that stadium?

The screen looks lame like they have it anyway

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When will the Toyota Center upgrade its video screen?

Many NBA arenas now have HD screens.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

When the Angels win the pennant...

[​IMG]

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to justtxyank again.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How do people know it's the biggest if no one is there to see it.

8. justtxyank

That's what Swoly said

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to justtxyank again.

10. justtxyank

I'm never going to get to 600 when you are the only one giving me rep!

(Although Reeko did give me rep today to tell me he was being sarcastic)

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i thought that was to keep fans from seeing themselves get hit in the face with the baseball because they were looking at the board instead of the live action.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

anything to make baseball less boring please.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

LMAOOOOOOO

14. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

This.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I like the hill and and the flag pole. Not sure why it gets under people's skin.

MMP is such a great facility. A billion times better than watching a game in the dome especially when you are on the 1st base side and the roof is open.

I also wish people didn't bash drayton so much. Until 2006, the Astros were third in post season appearances in the previous decade. He really ****ed up by pissing off Gerry. Paying for Andy Pettite, Roger, Baggs, Berkman, Osewalt, Fat Horse, and trying for Beltran was pretty awesome.

Based on the Astros TV market and attendance, they are usually where they should be in terms of payroll. They even went up to 3rd for the 2005 season. He is hands off in personnel which is usually a good thing unless you have Puppora who was an idiot or Wade who is mostly interested in the Phillies post season success. (Bang up job BTW Ed).

Letting Kent go was a good call. Trading Mike Hampton was a great decision. He was good for NY for that one year but took that HUGE contract and sucked balls for colorado.

Only big complaint I have was not being able to sign those draft picks a few years ago.

1 person likes this.
  16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

And now we have the worst farm system in the major leagues...BY FAR.

Drayton is delusional only cares about making money, not if the Astros are good.

He said sometime in June last year when we were 17 games below .500 that we were still in the running for a post-season run. Really? REALLY?

Also, I don't think I can ever forgive him for the Hurricane Ike debacle, where we had to go play in Milwaukee aka North Chicago v the Cubs during a pennant race because "he was losing out on money" from not playing games.

People have homes flooded and/or shredded to pieces, but he's worried about not adding millions to his already billions of dollars.

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Winning and making money kinda comes hand in hand. I imagine most of the revenue comes from food sales, not the tickets (baseball tickets are cheap as hell)... as you saw this year the attendance plummeted. If he wants to make money he will have to build a team that can win, simple as that.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What the hell are you talking about? Are you A) Complaining about playing Chicago neat their territory in a pennant race or B) Scheduling the games while people are losing their homes. How can you be angry about BOTH those things. What is your proposal?

Yes, Drayton doesn't like selling off assets for rebuilding. Lots of teams sell off guys every year and never get any better.

As far as the farm system, they made mistakes in personnel. With Gerry, the Astros had at one point the top farm system in the majors.

Plus, DID YOU NOT FOLLOW THE ASTROS IN 04 and 05? Yes there was better talent but 25 wins in 35 games was just barely enough to make it in 04. In 05, the Chron put up a tombstone on the season. If Drayton was running the team your way, we would have never made it to the post season.

He only cares about making money and doesn't care about wins. What are you basing that on? He offered 100+ contracts to Beltran and Lee. 80 million contracts to Berkman and Osewalt. 60 Million contract to Bagwell. He gave Roger Clemens 30 million dollars in 2005.

20. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG]