1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Fruit Drinks Still have Tons of Sugar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 30, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Diabetes is very manageable disease. You really just have to stop eating sugar. To me it was a wake up call on my sugar consumption.

Other diseases cause much more pain and obstacles. The hardest thing for me is checking my blood sugar out of laziness and not wanting to prick myself. Otherwise I make the effort. Other people with other ailments need your prayers much more.

It's weird having type 1 develop in my thirties. Even an RN in the hospital was like I never seen that

It happened to my brother around the same age. He is eleven years older than me. It happened to an uncle in his seventies. Both uncle and brother developed it in the mid nineties. All three of us were probably just eating too much sugar and there is some gene we have.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's a really personal post from @realpgabriel

That trips me out that that's happening to me.

I still love Obama

One thing that has changed is I love everybody

I was posting as otisthorpe. That would be my handle is if I had a second chance

In my hiatus I had very very serious surgery at the county hospital. It was cause my blood sugar was high cause I didn't know I was type 1 yet and I wasn't taking enough insulin.

I got bad infection which has it's own story. I cost the county a hundred racks as th kids would say.

Basically your immune system weakens with high blood sugar

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also have type 1 that developed around 30's. Diabetes may or may not be really manageable. If we are talking about type 1 it goes way beyond just not eating sugar. I'm surprised that someone with type 1 diabetes knows so little about it.

Just eating a lot of sugar will not give you type 1 diabetes. That's not how it works. That can be how type 2 diabetes works, but not type 1.

There are numerous other obstacles with type 1 diabetes that goes way beyond pricking your fingers for blood tests. There will be low blood sugar which can kill you and literally and cuts off the oxygen supply to the brain, your blood sugar A1C will almost certainly never be completely in the normal range again even with exercise and the strictest diet.

Over time it can mess up your kidneys, eyesight, circulation, increase the likelihood of high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, etc.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have had my blood sugar drop to dangerous. Why are you coming with the I know more than you crap?

I consider eating very little sugar and checking blood sugar very manageable compared to something like chemotherapy.

If you red my entire post you would see I said type 1 was hereditary instead f being an ass and saying I said it came from too much sugar and I don't know what im talking about.

Edit: the complications you list come from not managing the disease. I've had plenty complications but they were from not being disciplined but that is on me.

My uncle developed it in his seventies but had no major issues because he was very disciplined. My brother who is 53 has also done well. When he was diagnosed he told me not to worry because it's manageable. He said if you have to have a disease diabetes is manageable and I completely agree

You don't have to be an ass because you don't. Don't know why you would be an ass about this

#44 pgabriel, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Actually managing the diabetes can delay the effect that I mentioned. They won't completely erase or prevent them. Furthermore, everyone's diabetes are different. Some people are more reactive to to sugar, while some have the blood sugar spike from something like pasta. It isn't the same for everyone.

Mary Tyler Moore had type one diabetes which manifested in her 30's as well and did a fantastic job following diet, medication, and exercise, and lived to be older, but she still had complications from her diabetes that shortened her life, and towards the end lessened the quality of that life. It wasn't because she was careless or didn't work on managing the complications. It was simply because she had diabetes and eventually no matter what you do, those effects will happen to you in some degree or another.

Also, no matter what you do, your A1C will not be in the normal range. You will still occasionally have lows and highs.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mary Tyler Moore lived to a nice ripe old age. We are all gonna die one day. Diabetes didn't rob her.

I didn't say it was easy

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

type 1 when diagnosed at an early age is easily manageable, Beta cells can be preserved
    Type 2 is more difficult specially when it discovered at late age
    Someone was misdiagnosed as type 2 then it turned out to be type 1, is dependent on initial treatment, specifically metformin usages or lack of it, however, displains is the key

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why do people with type 2 have more complications? They seem to have more of the issues with dying cells and having to have amputations.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It did affect the quality of her life and caused complications. Hopefully, research is funded and a cure/better control is available for type 1 diabetes.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are actually things that can be done like a pancreas transplant.

The reason you don't see it much is because the disease is manageable

*rim shot*

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You do see pancreas transplants occasionally. They happen when the despite treatment and diet the disease still can't be controlled.
    "rim shot"

The reason you don't see it more is that the procedure is dangerous and difficult and not without its own risks and complications. If cutting out sugar works for you, then great, but simply doing that isn't going to work for everyone, and nobody should be fooled into thinking that following all of the dietary recommendations will completely erase all effects of diabetes and that the A1C will always be completely in the normal non-diabetic range.

It's also important to note that when we talk about controlling diabetes, that's different than erasing all of the effects. It is merely controlling which doesn't negate the disease.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Franchiseblade

Im working on a furniture delivery truck lifting heavy ish after years of neglect and a major surgery four years ago removing an abscess from my esophagus due to diabetes.

Yes everyone is different but no one has perfect health regardless of disease.

If Mary Tyler Moore is your example well we're gonna make after all

*rim shot*

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

MTM is one example. Every single person with type one diabetes are millions of other examples. I wish you nothing but continued good health.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Talking about health in general, I miss corporate America money but not sitting behind a desk.

When you sit all day you got to get exercise

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade

I personally view diabetes as a blessing that has made me take more responsibility for my health. It has made me smarter about health while being able to function better than I did in the immediate years before.

I understand fifty years ago it was probably a death sentence but now it's not

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Too much distance...