1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minor League Thread (Second Half)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 17, 2013.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In some strange world where Bedard isn't traded, I don't favor cutting him. I don't like the idea of cutting players who are performing well.

Peacock is already on the 40-man roster. Hard to imagine him not getting called back up. He just needs a rotation spot. At the same time, Harrell may get his spot back even if Bedard and Norris are moved rather than a callup of Woj or Oberholtzer.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

It's not that I favor it (and frankly, I would be surprised if he wasn't moved), it is just bothersome that a "placeholder" is preventing our young guys from playing. You never want to cut someone that is doing well, but I just find it bother that we have such young talent not getting a chance. Meh.

But you are right. Bedard has value and we need to either utilize it or move him. I just hope that we do move him.

3. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Wojo's fielding independent numbers are notably worse than his current numbers at AAA, in large part because of an amazing .229 BABIP. He's striking out fewer guys than ever (6.9 k/9) and walking more (3.2 bb/9).

Behind the sterling 2.82 ERA in 90 IP at AAA, there are still plenty of things for Wojo to be working on. That said, sometimes I think it's hard for prospects to focus on those things until they get a shot at the big leagues, have their minor flaws magnified, and go back to AAA with a more particular itinerary.

Peacock deserves another shot at the rotation, but I wouldn't mind Wojo getting some innings out of the bullpen.

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Nice little blurb on Jonathan Villar from Rotographs today:

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Oz Ocampo (@OzOcampo): Happy guagua ride! 17yo CF Luis Payano with walk-off bomb 2 outs in the 9th, another #DSLAstros win...

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's been finding some success recently.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DSLAstros&amp;src=hash">#DSLAstros</a> leading the league w/ 2.01 ERA. For future reference: Elieser Hernandez, Junior Garcia, Joselo Pinales...</p>&mdash; Oz Ocampo (@OzOcampo) <a href="https://twitter.com/OzOcampo/statuses/360125452498632704">July 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chris Cotton just walked his first batter. However, he threw 5 1/3 shutout innings and allowed 3 hits and struck out 4. Tri-City leads Hudson Valley 4-0 heading into the 7th.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Payano is a guy who I think could move to America, despite his rather pedestrian numbers. Really like that he's finding ways to get on base; once he puts everything together, he could be a really special player. Of course, he's 17, so he's way, way off.

Jean Estrella is now hitting .301 after his 2-3 performance this morning.

#69 tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Hey Max Stassi just homered guys

11. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Max Freaking Stassi.

Talk about rounding into form after an injury/time off.

12. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

The best thing about Stassi is that he was already known as an advanced fielding catcher. If he finishes with such a strong second half this year, you really have to wonder what the organization does with Carlos Perez and Stassi. They can't both get regular time at AAA this year, and Corporan isn't arb eligible until 2015.

I wouldn't be surprised if Corporan gets flipped for a mid level prospect (or gets included in some other deal at this deadline) and we ease Carlos Perez into the backup catcher role. Then again, Corporan seems important to young arms coming up as a veteran catching presence.

Decisions, decisions.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

As Morey would say .... assets.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.D. Osborne has 28 strikeouts in 16.2 innings between Greeneville and Tri-City.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Mike Foltynewicz vs. San Antonio: 8 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 8 K

Corpus leads 5-0 heading into the bottom of the 8th.

#75 tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

And Tyler Heineman has 10 home runs now. Yeah.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DeShields is doing his thing. Got a single, and stole 2nd and 3rd, making it 37 steals on the year. He came around to score.

He's got 17 steals this month (and has only been caught twice). If he can get 3 more in the next week, he'll have as many steals in July as he had in all of April, May, and June combined.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Rene Garcia is turning into a semi-prospect as well. Dude can hit.

19. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

For the first time in forever we have CATCHERZ everywhere.

20. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

I expect him in the GCL next year. I can't remember the last IFA player the Astros gave significant money to (500K+) and left them in the DSL for more than a year.