1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minnesota State Rep. posts racist tweet.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sew, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This counts as racism?

2. Philip_Pines

Philip_Pines Member

Apparently so, to some people.

Interesting thing, I looked up Pat Garofalo. He's actually voted in favor of building the Wolves and Vikings' arenas. Dan Schoen, a fellow lawmaker from MN, (who's a democrat BTW), defended the guy.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The NBA is about 80 percent black last time I heard... So when you assume that if there were no NBA that the players would then turn to crime then yes... It is.

Why not say that about the NHL?

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let's be honest people. Most White Americans just do not like the NBA. Why? I'm not sure. I live in a predominantly white neighborhood and every other house all I see are basketball goals! Obviously, somebody is playing the sport, the adults or the kids.

At first I thought it were the tattoos, hair braids, etc. but now days, you see more white people with tattoos than blacks! Then I thought it was the number of black players vs. the number of white players but it's about the same percentage in the NFL.

So, that leads me to an identity issue. I think people are attracted to likeness! There is not a player (white player, i.e Larry Bird) who they can relate too. I thought about Dirk but he's not American and outside of him, there's only Kevin Love who is stuck in Minnesota for the time being.

I put myself in their shoes. Would I root for a predominantly white team, i.e the early 2000 Astros??? I DID!! When they went to the World Series, I spent over $500 per ticket to see them play and was proud of it. So, at the end of the day, I think it's the individual and not the multitude. But the comments he made were racist.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anything with the word 'racist' in the title probably doesn't belong in Dish. But, anyway...

That's his way of fighting crime, apparently.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Wow so many clueless statements in here not quoting the MN Rep. Whites don't like basketball? Republicans believe the Reps statement in ok?

His statement was a stupid stereotype but let's not pile stupid on stupid.

7. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

If you support this Garofalo pos, then you are either completely naive or completely ignorant.

Look everyone that is black and non-racist in this country is on to the tactics of America's aging white population clutching at straws to maintain ethnic superiority while the nation slips into non-white majority demographics.

Sherman is a 'thug'

I don't watch the NBA, i like college basketball

Watch out son for the guy in the hoodie

THese are the new replacements for the n word. If you think this pos made an error in judgement and he should be forgiven then you are probably also part of a republican constituency that fosters these beliefs and where these beliefs are popular and prevalent.

And for the record, i am not black. I have no skin in this game other than to eliminate ignorance from my beautiful country. Just because you have the right to say something doesn't make it right.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your either blind or don't want to admit what the guy said was racist. The NBA is mostly african american, and to imply they'd probably be thugs is blatant racist. Are you african american?

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your making a ignorant assessment based off ignorant beliefs. I encourage you to see the world and get to know ppl, as opposed to just assuming one race is one way. God bless

10. MaoKhan

MaoKhan Member

Pretty hard to say no one has stereotypes ever, but a public representative tweeted this. How moronic is that? Can't blame anyone for the responses here.