1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming already talking smack - and I LOVE it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Check this out... From:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/08/23/SP236343.DTL
    <hr>
    <i>He paid off, at least sufficiently to convince the customers he was a worthy choice as the first pick, rather than just some angular goof with a passport and a pituitary gimmick. They hated it when he blew a dunk midway through the fourth quarter, and they hated it all the more when Wallace took him down and landed on him 20 seconds later.

And they liked it best of all when he got up and shrugged off Wallace's affront as if to say, "You're not the last one, just the first."

In fact, what he did say afterward was just as telling: "I didn't feel anything that time, but when he fell down on me, I hoped it didn't hurt him too much."

Good smack, that. Excellent smack indeed for a rookie from a foreign land with minimal basketball culture even as recently as 20 years ago. He can, in short, talk it.
    </i>
    <hr>
    I can't wait to hear what he says the first time he rejects Shaq - "Mr. Shaq, I will gladly and respectfully pay to have that new Spalding Tattoo graciously removed from your forehead."

Anybody else have some good Ming trash-talk predictions? (OK, maybe mine isn't that good, but I'd love to hear some more).

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

How bout this one: "Mr. Barkley, I hope that 20 years from now you are still broadcasting so we can both cover the NBA draft and comment so accurately on the rookies to be"

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Good article!

[​IMG]

Down boy!

[​IMG]

Mine!

[​IMG]

And where do you think you are going?

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

His calf is bigger than Millers thigh. I don't think Ming even saw Miller.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What the hell is Richard Pryor doing on Team USA? :eek: :D

6. HenryH

HenryH Member

Ming is talking smack now. Ben Wallace is eating crow and gives Ming his props. :) He says he thinks Ming is alot better than he thought he was and actually has a very complimentary quote on him.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/02-mwc-exhgame1_quotes.html

Ben Wallace
    On playing against Yao Ming
    "He's got a nice touch and a couple of post moves, a couple of good moves around the basket. As long as he continues to play he was playing, he's going to continue to grow as a player. To my surprise he was a whole lot better than I thought he was."

You were quoted as saying you were going to try to beat him up. Did you try to beat him up?
    "Oh yeah. We definitely beat him up.I think after we banged him a little and got to running on him , I think it took a little out of him. Once he gets the experience he needs, he can be a factor in the NBA. He didn't back down, but I think there were times out there he got a little winded.He didn't put up a big fight after he got a little tired. He needs to work on his stamina and get a lot stronger up top. When he was fresh out there and had his legs under him he was in there and he was active. I was surprised by his awareness on the court. When he caught the ball deep in the paint, he didn't waste time, he went into his move and made shots around the basket. When he caught it outside he turned and faced up and was able to find the open guy. That was impressive for a guy 7'5".

"A lot of times you have to go up against a guy and give up 5 or 6 inches, so I'm sort of used to going up against taller players. Once you get out there you're not really thinking about his size, you're just trying to play the game.

"He's a whole lot better than I thought he'd be."

Antonio Davis
    "After her turned and scores on your 'mug' a couple times, you've got to try to do something else!!"

This last one by Antonio Davis might make a good quote for a sig. :)

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So true :D.

8. DJ

DJ Member

Who is Richard Pryor?

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Are you serious?

Movies:
    Lost Highway (1997)
    Sam Kinison -- Why Did We Laugh? (1997)
    Trigger Happy (1996)
    The Three Muscatels (1992)
    Another You (1991)
    Harlem Nights (1989)
    See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)
    Moving (1988)
    Critical Condition (1987)
    Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling (1986)
    Brewster's Millions (1985)
    Pryor's Place - V. 1 (1984)
    Pryor's Place - V. 2 (1984)
    Pryor's Place - V. 3 (1984)
    Pryor's Place - V. 4 (1984)
    Richard Pryor Here and Now (1983)
    Superman III (1983)
    Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (1982)
    Some Kind of Hero (1982)
    The Toy (1982)
    Bustin' Loose (1981)
    Stir Crazy (1980)
    Wholly Moses! (1980)
    In God We Trust (1980)
    Richard Pryor: Live in Concert (1979)
    Blue Collar (1978)
    California Suite (1978)
    The Wiz (1978)
    Greased Lightning (1977)
    Which Way Is Up? (1977)
    Adios Amigo (1976)
    The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings (1976)
    Car Wash (1976)
    Silver Streak (1976)
    Uptown Saturday Night (1974)
    The Mack (1973)
    Hit (1973)
    Wattstax (1973)
    Lady Sings the Blues (1972)
    Some Call It Loving (1972)
    Richard Pryor - Live and Smokin' (1971)
    Dynamite Chicken (1971)
    Carter's Army (1970)
    The Partridge Family - Stars in Our Eyes (1970)
    Dynamite Chicken (1969)
    Black Brigade (1969)
    Wild in the Streets (1968)
    Lily Tomlin
    Lily Tomlin Special - V. 1
    Black Brigade

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

A legend man...

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Axeman you are a dreamer, making up quotes from Yaos subconscious to fit your imagination of whatever SMACK means. I cant get over how many poster are trying to make Yao Ming into their own mold of what they think, they would like him to be.He isn't , he's his own person!

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Um, Earth to Ben -- the whole reason he finds the open guy while you're flailing up at him pointlessly is that he's 7'5".

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Wow, they really showed Ming! The funny thing is, everybody better get their shots in now, because when the season starts, and you concentrate on Ming, Griffin, Francis, Mobley and Rice are going to slaughter you.

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Relax, nobody is trying to destroy your image of Ming and his purity. Talking smack in basketball is fun, its not a bad thing. Mings Smack may be more subtle, more poetic, but in America its still talking Smack.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

OH MY GOD!! Dude must be really reallly young...

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I vaguely remember him, and I'm 15. I remember seeing a few movies of him like the one where he's a kid's toy, or something like that. Plus I saw him on Me,Myself,and Irene. (that's the name right? the one with Jim Carrey?) He was on a HBO comedy show.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great reply, Behad. I didn't know he co-wrote "Blazing Saddles"! I remember seeing him on "The Tonight Show", with Carson. What a guy... there's a Rocket fan in there somewhere. ;)

18. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

hahaha Andre Miller kinda does resemble a young Richard Pryor in that shot! :D

19. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

In the one where Mao is taking the ball away I was thinking that Miller looked a little like Kenny Smith in his Rocket days.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thanks Texas Stroke that helps!