1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mindy Kaling’s brother pretended to be black to get into med school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Apr 6, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Here I don't really agree. Our supply of doctors is uneconomically constrained by regulators and other players in the market who maintain a scarcity of labor. I believe there are many more people that are sufficiently well-suited to become doctors than there are people allowed to become doctors by the training regime we have in place. If a minority who is well-suited but not the absolute best is helped through the system on the basis of affirmative action, I don't think the medical industry is compromised for it because he's still well-suited after all. Obviously, the medical industry would be even better off for having the absolute best, with all else being equal. But, we also have a compelling national interest to ensure diversity in the medical workforce, maybe even moreso than in most industries, given its role in society.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I can understand the intent, and even agree to it to a certain extent in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world.

Honestly, I don't agree with the part in bold. I think medicine is one area where you shouldn't compromise qualifications for a "greater good". I feel the same way about airline pilots. I wouldn't feel comfortable flying if I knew they picked pilots to ensure diversity, rather simply picking the cream of the crop color-blind, everytime.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Boo hoo. I'm a Persian male. To the NSF that makes me a white male, it sucks but I made due. The system is broken, but all you can do is game it as hard as you can. What's wrong with using your skin color to lie about your race? How is that different than if you had rich parents and went to the best private schools all your life? Sure, one involves lying, but at the end of the day you are using what you are born with to get ahead. A self made man, the Republican ideal at heart.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What about the white ones that got them because of who daddy knew
    Who auntie was
    Because the interviewer had a bias
    etc etc etc

Trust me . . .. more undeserving white employees/Applicant than the reverse
    The fact that those are generally undocumented to keep up the confusion and have plausible deniability

Rocket River

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the LYING part is wrong

Rocket River

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL

I mean come on. Yeah, what's the difference between being honest and lying? Same thing amirite?

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The statistics don't bear it out. If you are black you need a lower GPA and MCAT score to get into med school.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's all the same if you don't get caught. It's that level of creative thinking that the medical world needs.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Who cares when it's much easier to demonize black folks. And I don't know why people complain about affirmative action when black folks are being killed off anyway (tell the Latinos they're on deck)...

Has anyone touched on the fact that this guys parents may not be from this country...??? People with no roots in this country may have a more difficult time getting excepted into schools. Discrimination comes in all forms.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . what you are telling me is
    The LEAST qualified person at every school is black and/or minority?

If not . .. who do you explain the non black folx that are less qualified . . that still get in? How did they get in?

I am awaiting a response . ..

Rocket River

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Glad he dropped out. If he had continued and he is a licensed physician he should have had his license pulled. Not sure about physicians but lawyers have been disbarred for similar fraud.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Why would it be fraud? He would have been a licensed physician, passed the boards same as his peers. The only knock on him would be his qualifying acceptance into medical school under false pretenses for a qualifier that shouldn't matter.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmmm....I wonder why. ;)

14. itstheyear3030

Except this particular situation isn't about white people and black people. It's about black people and non-black minorities. The guy here could never have passed as white. If he didn't apply as black, he would have had to do it as Indian and with those numbers, I doubt any legitimate med school in the country would have given him a second look much less offered an interview or actual acceptance. At the end of the day, school admissions are a zero sum game; if someone gains another has to lose.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

If you lie to get admitted to the bar it is considered to be proof that you don't have sufficient character and fitness". Now doctors may not be held to such high standards :)

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Depends on the lie. If you lie about your schooling, GPA, name, DOB, things like that. If you lie about your race, does anyone actually get harmed? Should race be a determining factor in who should or shouldn't be a doctor?

17. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Kuddos to this guy. No Indian dude would have gotten in with a 3.1 GPA. I think more people should game the system this way. It will make schools rethink their criteria for acceptance and thoughtless admissions process.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Weirdly enough there may be more circumstances in legal proceedings where truthfulness and ethics/conflicts of interest come into play. I seem to remember that World Church of the Creator spokesman couldn't get his bar license for what I assume were just moral questions.

19. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

and he still couldnt pass

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you took freshman U.S history in community college a summer before college and didn't report it and they found out, they have the right to revoke everything.

Thats how stringent the standards are in medicine.