1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Millions risk losing cover as Justices take up Obamacare Challenge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 17, 2015.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Roberts totally pissed me with the Citizen United case but has pleasantly surprised me since. If he is like Kennedy, I will be ecstatic.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We'll see. Now if he votes to uphold the Arizona Citizens Redistricting case, then I'll give Roberts some credit.

Basically the legislature of Arizona is suing that a constitutional amendment that created a non-partisan redistricting commission is unconstitutional. If the court rules in the legislature's favor, then non-partisan redistricting is basically dead and that would be as big a deal as this case if you ask me.

Also we'll see how he rules on same-sex marriage.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not just that non-partisan redistricting is dead, it's basically telling voters that they can't determine how to choose their own representation and that they have to be subject to the will of the major political parties to allocate voting rights in a partisan matter.

It's probably even more anti-federalist/conservative/"states rights" than anything the Republicans have had the gall to challenge - the sole reason why they are challinging it is naked self-interest.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roberts seems to be a conservative that leans toward business. I don't think there should be any confusion that he sides with insurance companies - established multi-billion dollar entities with vested interests - in maintaining Obamacare.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hope he surprises me again in a good way.

6. SamFisher

Or maybe he recognized that the challenge to Obamacare was ridiculous on its merits...because it was.

This case shouldn't have even gotten to the Supreme Court. Only a partisan decision by a couple of Republicans on one panel got it up there.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for Roberts but let's not go overboard, this was a fairly cut and dry decision. Conservatives with a clue saw this coming.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

So what you're saying is that no one in the GOP saw this coming.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I totally agree on all points, which is why I believe Kennedy also switched his vote from Sebelius.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But didn't 4 SC justices have to agree to take the case? That's what's got me wondering about the 6-3 decision.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Kennedy was probably the flip.

12. SamFisher

There was a circuit split IIRC with the one dumb decision coming from the DC Cir. when they took it, that's reason enough to take it.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. Buck Turgidson

What exactly is wrong with Justice Roberts? I kinda like the guy.

I know that there are opinions, so educate us all (Fisher, Major, Whoever, etc...)

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Might be the worst supreme court justice in history.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

My self ignorance impression is Robert is just a very smart politician. The GOP would have a lot to explain in the upcoming election if the vote was the other way. All his votes seem to be strategic.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

SCJ are not suppose to be politicians. That is my biggest problem with Roberts.

18. Faust

Faust Member

Doesn't all law and interpretation come down to politics? If I do hanging chads, I get to pick a guy for prez who lost the majority vote. If gay people are like guys really into young girls, don't give them gay marriage. If gay people are just like anyone else, let them marry just like normal people. All comes down to how that judge thinks politically. Why you think there's so much fight about who gets on the big courts?

19. Buck Turgidson

Reading the comments in the paper this morning from Dan Patrick and other Republican legislators was quite depressing, just amazingly out of touch with reality. One of them framed it as a "job-killing law", wtf?

20. Major

Major Member

The "problem" is that everyone expects their judges to be hyper-partisan and he's ... not. The fact that we can predict the votes of 7 justices on an issue based on whether it's a liberal or conservative issue is absurd - these should be questions of law and not politics.

Roberts and Kennedy are great elements of the court. I think Kagan and Sotomayor have shown some of that cross-over tendency as well, but since the court is a 5-4 conservative/liberal split, it tends to be less noticable/relevant when it happens.