1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Miller for Francis???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Greg#3, Jun 24, 2002.

?

Which PG would you rather have on the Rockets?

1. Steve Francis

83 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Andre Miller

64 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Straight up, should the Rockets trade Stevie Franchise for Andre Miller, assuming that we could get either to sign here long term?

Aruba77 has a thread similiar to his topic but I thought it would be easy just to put it in the form of a poll.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Franchise by a mile

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You can't judge it on a straight-up trade. Even if Andre Miller is ultimately better for our team, Francis' market value is way higher and could command Adre Miller plus one or more other valuble commodities in trade. The Rockets would be fools to trade Francis for Miller straight-up when they could who knows what else in addition.

4. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Francis, not even a second thought.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

As much as I love traditional point guards, Francis has MUCH higher market value.

I'd think long and hard about it if the trade was for Miller + the Cav's pick.

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

I would take Miller in a heart beat. I like Francis, but lately he as be acting like a child. He needs to grow up. At least Miller knows how its like to play on a bad team, we are not much better, but a huge up grade for him. He kill to be put in Francis shoes.

7. Darth West

Darth West Member

I doubt Cleveland would want to pay either player the max so it doesn't make sense for them ... and no I most definitly don't consider Francis substantially more valuable then Miller ...

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i guess it's a positive to know what it's like to play for a bad team. whatever that means.

francis by a whole bunch.

9. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Francis for Miller and #6?? I would do that in a heartbeat. Select Butler or Gooden at #6 or trade the pick and dump an unwanted salary, a la Cato.

Miller, Mobely, Butler/Gooden, Griffin, Mo T, Ming - WOW!!! Plus we would still have #15 to draft Nachbar, Stoudemire, or another true PG like Frank Williams.

My draft philosophy is to take the best player left on the board and I think Frank Williams will be a steal for any team that drafts him outisde the lottery.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Andre Miller hasn't exactly been Mr. Nice Guy. I'd go with Stevie. And Francis has been on bad teams two of the 3 years he has been in the league.

11. DCballer

DCballer Member

Get over it already. It ain't gonna happen. Plus Steve is way more talented then Miller. They may look the same now, but Andre will not progress as far. Steve will mature with time, plus most of the stuff that has been said about Francis is speculation. Unless somebody in here is really Steve's subconscience.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

What the hell is going on here?!?!?!?

Only DaDakota can start the Francis for Miller brigade.

No matter how many trade proposals you guys spend pondering hour after hour at Real GM, there is one thing that will never change:

Andre Miller will never be a Houston Rocket.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Better to ask yourself this:

If we had Andre Miller and Cleveland had Steve Francis, would we want to trade Miller for Steve?

I would say heck no, and here's why, in order of importance:

- Steve's migraine problem. You never know when he'll be missing a game.

- Steve's bad attitude. The whole Vancouver incident, coupled with his recent childish remarks about drafting Ming show just how selfish and immature he is.

- Unacceptable turnover rate, especially for a PG. Low basketball IQ.

- Extremely poor defense.

Miller is a smart, savvy point guard. He doesn't have the health problems or the character baggage that Francis has. Just about the only bad thing people say about him is that he wants to make the max, but even if we keep Francis, the Rockets will end up paying Steve the max anyway.

If we had Andre Miller on this team, there is no way in hell we would even think about trading him for someone like Steve Francis.

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Which player has played on a team with a winning record again?

This isn't even close - Baron Davis now, that'd be a different situation, and would require some heavy thinking.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Sometimes guys take forever and thats once most of the god given ability is gone like Coleman. In his early yrs if he had the maturity he could have been the best pf ever, but he hasn't matured until his skills has diminished somewhat and he's not that special now. Assuming Steve will ever mature and learn the pg spot is assuming alot.

16. forloop

forloop Member

I'd rather trade him to Chicago for the #2.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I can't believe this poll is as close as it is. Did I miss something?

While I agree Miller has a nice game, there is no way I'd trade Francis for him. Look at the potiential... Francis is young, quick and already a great scorer. Once he dedicates himself to defense and learns to make his teammates better players he will become the player he already thinks he is. His arrogance is part of what may make him great. Give the man time to mature and don't kill him for having an opinion. I seriously can't believe how many "Fans" are ready to trade him for half a quote in the offseason. Rudy and Carrol obviously want Steve to be a part of this team for a long time or they wouldn't have sent him to the draft. Steve will enjoy playing with a true center for the first time who will make him better and his game easier.

I'm really excited about being a rockets fan right now and I find it strange that everyone here is ready to trade half the team for Odom, Kandi, et al, and gut the core of the team, and all I want to do is add some more pieces to the puzzle and watch it grow. I hope it goes my way because I like the current group of players and I'd love to see them mature with whoever they get with their 2 great first round picks.

18. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Greg#3: "Straight up, should the Rockets trade Stevie Franchise for Andre Miller, assuming that we could get either to sign here long term? "

Straight up? Steve. Throw in the #6, maybe Miller. I have been a fan of Andre Miller for a long time, but Steve is a better athlete, someone who can take over a game if necessary. Miller is a PG at heart, though, and Steve is still learning the position in fits and starts. I give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he's going to make a scene over the #1 pick (which he hasn't yet), I have no problem trading him at all.

19. cyber-dave

cyber-dave Contributing Member

Which Point Guard?

Now: Andre Miller

Soon to be: Steve Francis

Andre plays like a PG now. However, if Francis matures (and everyone needs to be patient) he will no doubt surpass Andre. Steve is just the better athlete with more potential, and if he grows, matures, we will see that potential blossom into fruition.

I will keep the faith...

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Has anybody ever tried to acutally compare their stats?

SF: rpg 7.0 apg 6.4 ppg 21.6 TO 3.9 3p% .324 spg 1.2

AM: rpg 4.6 apg 10.9 ppg 16.5 TO 3.0 3p% .253 spg 1.6

This was last season. I think they come out pretty even overall. Career wise, Stevie comes out ahead IMHO. Of course I stick with Francis because he was hurt and I want to see him put up the nice #'s he gave us before the foot injury and the migraines. If you guys are gonna bank on Ming before he has even played a single minute of NBA ball, why can't you guys bank on Francis who already has had a more succesful career than half the people who make it to this level?

#20 Oski2005, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002