1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Military State] Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by percicles, Aug 13, 2014.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The situation is just so pathetic. People that were rioting couldn't give two shets about the dead kid, They went there to destroy and steal shet and act hard. I don't blame the police one bit for Marshall lawing the place. it stopped being about protesting a dead 18 year old a long time ago.

Remind me of the Vancouver Canucks riot when people flocked downtown destroying the city in the name of a hockey loss when in reality 90 percent of those scumbags don't even watch hockey and do not live in the city either.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p>Ferguson chief tells me <a href="https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery">@WesleyLowery</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly">@ryanjreilly</a>'s arresters were &quot;probably somebody who didn't know better.&quot;</p>&mdash; Matt Pearce (@mattdpearce) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/statuses/499719019747090433">August 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Law enforcement acting like jackasses. Rioters acting like jackasses. They deserve each other. Kinda concerned that journalists are apparently getting arrested. Definitely not the PR you want...

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'll ask again; anyone know the last time cops gunned down an unarmed white kid?

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'll look it up but it likely happened here in Albuquerque where the police department is under investigation by the DOJ because of police brutality and have killed 26 citizens in the last 4 years.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

November 2013.
    February 2014.

There could be more. I'm sure you'll find them if you look. Took me 2 minutes to find 2 examples.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wasn't thee one right here I htown where a white kid got shot by cops execution style?

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Get used to it. The overall wealth pool's growth is slowing, and the top 1% keeps getting richer while everyone else is living on a static income for 30+ years. Social mobility is super slow. Money is being burned in front of people's eyes by the artificial deadlock in government and the funnelling of public funds towards causes that do not help (and possibly even hurt) Americans and this system feeds itself. Any legal recourse is stigmatized, monetized and finally criminalized.

Do you accept these conditions and stay on the right side of the laws, or do you reject these conditions incrementally beginning with the least violent to the most violent actions. In this particular case of course, violence is uncalled for because the authorities are more violent, far better armed, organized and ideologically motivated. That's true even if we were talking about tens of millions of people.

Any reasonable human can predict the outcome, given we all know by now that the momentum does not ever shift naturally. This is a morally unforgivable act of desperation. That doesn't fit neatly into anyone's sense of black/white wrong/right. It is what it is, and historically beating it down has never worked, while addressing the root causes always seem to work.

You can not say it's because they're of a particular religion or nationality or it's because their commies. All the media narratives don't fit. So they hint that it's because they're black. But we know it's not because they're black. If it had to do with them being black, there are dozens of demographically identical neighbourhoods who would be doing the same by now. If you go into their neighbourhoods and shoot down an unarmed innocent teenager - yeah, that might tip it over. But that's not the root cause. The goal is to avoid having communities so disenfranchised, so desperate that a single event does not cause it to tip over.

P.S. foreign news outlets are covering this way better than MSNBC/Fox/CNN.

1 person likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tell us, what would the UAE do?

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

According to a report I read yesterday, gun sales are WAY up in Ferguson.

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The drug war has seen to it that even relatively small police forces are highly militarized.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Apparently Ferguson's supply is surplus military equipment:

"Michelle McCaskill, media relations chief at the Defense Logistics Agency, confirms that the Ferguson Police Department is part of a federal program called 1033 that distributes hundreds of millions of dollars of surplus military equipment to civilian police forces across the United States. The materials range from small items, such as pistols and automatic rifles, to heavy armored vehicles such as the MRAPs used in Afghanistan and Iraq."

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was the implication, especially in light of videos recorded last night of stationary protestors and journalists being fired upon by the police. If open-carry is praised as a "Don't Tread on Me" signal, shouldn't many of the protestors in Ferguson taking advantage of their First Amendment rights also be well within them to engage in the full breadth of their Second Amendment rights, too?

To those unable to overlook the rioting a few days ago: does that override the Constitutional rights of assembly and press guaranteed in the First Amendment?

It seems like these heavily-armed police lack the training necessary to protect and serve their communities but, nevertheless, have been given military-grade weaponry.

If the police in Ferguson, Missouri have this kind of hardware, imagine what the cops in Houston have. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what color your skin is - this is "crowd control" in 2014.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apologies for the double post, but another point: The police force's conduct suggests a total disregard for legal behavior, especially on the part of the press and citizens. It is never illegal to film a police officer. Never. Yet last night, two journalists were arrested for acting within their rights.

My true concern here is a police force that doesn't care if it understands the laws its sworn to uphold and, instead, cites "misunderstandings" later.

16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Spelled out here: http://www.dps.mo.gov/dir/programs/cjle/dod.asp

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

in other words they have been planning this!

i hate seeing military vehicles... i saw like 5 tanks being transported once and wanted to throw up.

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think this is justified. Police are going overboard here. People in Ferguson should take up arms. One poster here says that it isn't justified because its a "single injustice". That shows your ignorance. This isn't a "single injustice". The police have repeatedly committed similar injustices across the county, and rather than take a hint from the protests they're the party using force to put them down?

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

So the police chief is admitting that some of his police officers don't know better? I think freedom of the press is something a cop should know. I would imagine that they would have to go through something like training but that's just me.

Seems like the cops are like Bateman from the movie The Replacements
    [​IMG]

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Bunch of guys start rioting/protesting and Mathloon automatically assumes it has something to do with economics or social mobility. So typically Marxist.