1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miles triggers $18M salary hit, cap tax

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by smartxtai, Jan 17, 2009.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

HAHAHA. Blazers are doomed.
    --------------------------
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3840234

It came and went without fanfare -- and presumably fear of retribution.

Just more than a week had passed since the Portland Trail Blazers threatened their 29 fellow NBA teams with a lawsuit if someone signed Darius Miles.

Miles had already played in two regular-season games for the Grizzlies under a 10-day contract and six preseason games. Two more games from the small forward this season would cause a breach to the Blazers' salary cap, costing them $18 million in salary plus luxury taxes.

But Friday night, there he was, making his second appearance under his latest 10-day contract and fourth of the season for the Memphis Grizzlies, scoring 10 points with seven rebounds in 14 minutes of a 101-91 loss to the visiting Utah Jazz.

The loss dropped the Grizzlies to 11-28 as they sunk farther in the cellar of the Southwest Division.

Miles' appearance cost the Blazers much more, however.

It placed the remaining $18 million of his salary back on Portland's payroll and counts against the Blazers' salary cap, forcing them to pay luxury tax.

The Blazers had sent out an e-mail earlier this month warning of possible legal action against any team signing the free-agent Miles.

"Persons or entities involved in such conduct may be individually liable to the Portland Trail Blazers for tortuously interfering with the Portland Trail Blazers contract rights and perspective economic opportunities," team president Larry Miller's e-mail read.

"Our purpose here was not in any way to keep Darius from being able to play," Miller said. "If he can come back and help a team to win and play at a level on the court that helps the team, we have no problem with that at all."

Miles set up the milepost by scoring 13 points in 14 minutes of a 102-87 to the Cleveland Cavaliers in Memphis on Tuesday after signing the 10-day deal Saturday.

"Please be aware that if a team engages in such conduct, the Portland Trail Blazers will take all necessary steps to safeguard its rights, including, without limitation, litigation," said Miller in the e-mail.

Miller's e-mail prompted the threat of a grievance from the players' union, and his signing by the Grizzlies quickly followed.

Miles, who was the third overall pick by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2000 draft, signed a six-year, $48 million deal with Portland in 2004. The Blazers waived Miles at the end of the 2007-08 season after an independent doctor determined he hadn't recovered from microfracture surgery on his right knee in November 2006.

He played in six preseason games for the Celtics this season before Boston released him on Oct. 20. It had been believed that under the collective bargaining agreement, Miles had to play in 10 regular-season or postseason games in a season for the $18 million to count against the Blazers. But the NBA confirmed that the six preseason games Miles played for the Celtics also counted.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

23 points in 28 minutes shooting 64% while grabbing 7 rebounds (1 TO, 1 STL, 1 BLK)

Portland, enjoy suing.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is this about thread #5 on Miles ?

4. Raven

Raven Member

Because what Portland did might possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever seen a pro sports franchise do in my lifetime. Why? Because they managed to offend and alienate every other team in the league, and that's a mistake that will haunt them for years to come.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Portland hadn't sent that ridiculous e-mail no one would have wanted to jam them like that. BOHICA! :eek:

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Word. The last four thread starters should be banned.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I know they determined that the 6 preseason games counted but just to avoid any potential legal loopholes, I hope Miles plays at least 6 more regular season just to totally eliminate that possibility. I understand it's not necessary based on current information, I'm just sayin...

8. engr chris

engr chris Member

The rules said 10 regular season and postseason games. Then the NBA included preseason games? Is that a rule change at the height of this controversy?

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

miles is playing well enough to show he has a place on the team, i'm sure he'll play more than 10 regular season games anyway.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

if the rule explained in the various news outlets are true, it's 10 games "in a NBA season".

and "a NBA season" is defined to start with the opening of training camp, so preseason games are included...

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Now does Miles actually get that money or does it just go against the cap.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. I want the Blazers to suffer, after that ridiculous e-mail. Hopefully Miles can sue them on top of the hit they are already taking now. Not to even mention how they made a lot of other teams dislike them for years to come. Muhahaha :D.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm glad the Blazers got theirs in the end -- but i'm also happy for Miles. The guy is working his ass off to play again and beat the whole rap on him about being a head case.

Good luck Darius.

14. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

:D :D :D

BRoy should be a Rocket. The end.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

Miles always gets that money. A contract is a contract and Blazers had to pay him for the contracted amount.

The impact of the "10 games" are:

1. now the miles contract will be calculated when determining luxury taxes for portland and portland will have to pay up for the taxes.
    2. It will nullify any cap space flexibility portland would have this season and next - and with portland's young players start to getting their first non-rookie contract, portland will be unlikely to be under the cap for the foreseeable future.
    3. Insurance company(ies) was paying most of the Miles contract. Now, depending on how the insurance contract was signed, there's a considerable possibility that Portland will have to pay for the contractthemselves now.

I haven't heard of any other impact relating to the situation. :)

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They have Raef LaFrentz's $13 million contract expiring this summer, which opens up a huge hole to sign someone for nearly a max contract. With Roy and Aldridge coming up, I doubt they would give a free agent anywhere near that much money.

They also might trade LaFrentz's contract for a player before the trade deadline.