1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Scott

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Jun 11, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mike-Scott-6482/

Projected to be a late second rounder. It's interesting that I see a lot of similarity between him and Carl Landry. Both are undersized senior PF's with similar size. Both bounced back strong after injury in college. Their efficiency level are similarly high as a senior.

He improved every year in college, and is a good defender/rebounder. He also has complete offensive weapons - postup, faceup, nice jumpers...

The past second rounders cost us 2-3 millions. I'm thinking he could be had for 1-1.5 millions as a late second round pick. I see him as a solid rotation player with potential to be a great sixth man. Not bad for such a low price.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If they ever finally catch him scuffing the ball, his career could be short lived.

3. Omer

Omer Member

Even though we have a bunch of undersized PFs, I hope we draft him. Met him a couple times and he is a nice guy, not to mention hilarious on Facebook and Twitter.

I just graduated from University of Virginia last year :grin:

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The story is that on one occasion, Billy Doran picked up and swallowed a piece of sandpaper that Scott was using when an umpire came out to check him.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Had the exact same thought when I saw the name -- really, a new player named "Mike Scott" :) Of course, I did the same when Glenn/Glen Davis was a prospect. Won't be long before some NBA prospects named Billy Hatcher and Kevin Bass come along.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, as I understand it Doran was the guy holding the sandpaper all the time. He'd doctor up the ball when they threw it around the horn after making an out.

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Is he draft eligible? He does need a new gig since he left Dunder Mifflin

8. RocketFanGolfer

Being from Charlottesville and having watched Mike play a lot throughout the years, I'd say you could do worse with a second round flyer. He's a great guy, very hard worker, with above average BBIQ and good leadership skills.

His post game is good with your essential hook, turnaround, and fadeaway, nothing special though. He rebounds with tenacity, but he'll have trouble in the NBA given his short height and average athleticism for the PF position. In his senior year (redshirt), he added a pretty consistent midrange J extending his range to the college three point line. He's always in good position on defense, but he'll never be a plus defender given his average physical tools. I'd say his ceiling is Brandon Bass; he won't set the world on fire if we draft him but he's a guy who loves the game of basketball and is bent on improving himself every year.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Now that's hilarious. If only Joe Niekro would have been half as smart.

10. jopatmc

This is a very good comparison on multiple points. Size, injuries, age, skillset, ability to get to the free throw line and shoot freebies. Sure feels like Carl to me.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. jopatmc

52.4% on jump shots. That's about as good as it gets from midrange.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

sign him when he goes undrafted...

14. jopatmc

Rookie minimum deal for 2 years with team option for another two years. Kinda like Chase. Cheap, cheap, cheap.....and hopefully a rotation player. These are the kind of signings that make a lot of sense when you trade away 7 guys for Dwight.

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The words UNDERSIZED and POWER FORWARD, when used together make me feel ill.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, like we need another ahrd working undersized player for our team, this will elevate us to contender level...We have to gamble on talent this year, nothing else.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

That'd be great for us, but Spurs is rumored to be interested in him...definitely a player to keep an eye on later.

18. jopatmc

We have to gamble on Dwight this year. There's your talent.

19. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Mike Scott highlights from the game of his life:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N8sZJgxnPe0#t=0m31s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>