1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Muscala

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Feb 22, 2013.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Morey's post trade comments confirms my belief that this draft is pretty deep, especially it maybe one of the deepest draft at center position. I'm seeing a few very nice center prospects in late first round and the second round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mike-Muscala-6520/

Mike Muscala is currently ranked at #30 - last pick in first round according to draftexpress mock draft. We may be able to grab him with Sun's early second rounder.

So far one of the most productive players in all of college basketball, Bucknell big man Mike Muscala also tops the nation in pace adjusted rebounding rate - a strong indicator of success in NBA.

He's a 'younger' senior who's only 21 years old, and has consistently improved in all aspects of his game throughout 4 years in college. 6'11" with added strength, he scores efficiently with post moves, jumpers and even occasional 3 pt shooting(around 33% in last 4 years). He goes to the line a lot with very good freethrow percentage(about 80%).

His weakness is the relatively thin frame and average defense( a good weak side shot blocker nevertheless). However, the way he improves over years is impressive and you don't need to doubt his effort level.

Overall I think he's a pretty good prospect for early second round, if for some reason he's still available when we pick.

#1 haoafu, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. rocketfaithful

I don't think we will draft a center anytime soon. we currently have a perfect fit for our system in akik, and a very solid backup in smith. You could be right about this guy being a good nba player but I do not think he is on the rockets radar. we need a backup shooting guard and a backup powerforward or a starting powerfoward. depends how TRob turns out.

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Let's get a good backup SG with Phoenix's 2nd rounder. We don't need a big man right now in my opinion.

4. haoafu

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...20130201/mike-muscala-bucknell/#ixzz2LjF7yqwc

Unfortunately he's more likely to go in first round IMO. But you never know...

5. haoafu

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/featur...ig-man-mike-muscala-2013-nba-draft/index.html

6. haoafu

http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030413aaa.html

March 4, 2013

What a complete player!

7. haoafu

Right now, Draftexpress puts him right where we are going to draft - #34;)

8. BigBopper

BigBopper Member

9. haoafu

The latest combine measurement shows Muscala has longer wingspan, standing reach and less vertical than zeller. He's a much better rebounder, blocker than Zeller...not bad for a second round pick.

10. haoafu

LOL, your weak opinion does need bigger pic.

11. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

He sounds like another PF prospect, a la Tim Duncan. A poor, homeless, drought-stricken, desert living in, no running water, living on goulash in a bad part of town, if you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding, version of Tim Duncan.

12. Convictedstupid

FWIW

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Muscala had one of the best workouts I've EVER seen for a big man. Literally missed just 2 shots entire workout. Crazy skills for big.</p>&mdash; Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/337953866580643840">May 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Muscala, by the way, had the highest shooting percentage of anyone at NBA Draft Combine.</p>&mdash; Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/337956097308651520">May 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I would rather have Tony Snell with that pick or another wing player over another big man.

Morey signed Tim Olhbercht and he's probably more ready to step in and back up Asik than Muscala.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is "Mike Muscala" English for "Donatas Motiejunas"?

15. haoafu

I'm not a Dmo fan from day one. His short wingspan, body type and poor vertical make him essentially an undersized big even if he's listed as 7 footer.

Muscala, as of right now, has better reach, wingspan and vertical. He's already a better rebounder, blocker and shooter. He's still growing into his senior year both phisically and skillwise. He's got pretty good low post game as well.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Muscala is too good for the second round. He will go in the first. He will take Nogueiras spot.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I think it's too soon to label Muscala better than Dmo. Dmo did well against dleague competition which is superior to the Patriot League. Muscala had difficulties against competition outside of the Patriot league. I like him - he has a nice shot, but he's probably not at Dmo's level yet.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think after the combine his stock will rise to the first round.

plus, for anyone thinking we don't need a big guy, you should never draft to fill a need! always draft the best player available. the draft is a time to add value to your roster. you fill a need by signing a veteran. at least then you know what you're getting. in the draft, you pick to fill a need and the guy turns out to be a bust it was a waste. if you draft the best player available and he pans out, well then you can trade him for something you need later.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've not seen that much college bball the past year and haven't seen him play. Based on profiles and scouting videos, he sounds like. Morey type of prospect. Only big issue seems to be whether he will be strong enough to play center...which as a backup, I don't see as a big issue.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Not bad for a big man.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0bZtGPsDd7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>