1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mike & Mike] Morey Podcast on MVP, Winning, Shorter Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 10, 2017.

1. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

I agree b2b should be eliminated or at least reduced to b2b with no travel between. Home games or LAL then LAC or NYK then Brooklyn Nets maybe Rox then Spurs. Also consider a west coast game that finishes 10:30 then after game hoopala then at airport at 1am then travel east through 2 time zones barely time to grab a nap then a meal then on the court again. 4 games in 5 nights is BUL***.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind cutting the season down by about ten games, or reducing the first round of the playoffs to best-of-five (the former is not likely to happen and the latter won't happen, period, given the money involved) but I'm not an owner. Aren't they going to dig in, saying they'll lose revenue? (Although some owners might be losing non-TV-revenue money and will scream, "YAY!" at the prospect of losing less money.)

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bingo...thanks for the assist

and NHL started with 24 games then a 48 game schedule. Then upped it arbriarily to 70 games in the 1960s, then to 84, then to 82.,,,just random stuff.

And it's also my point .about how owners of these arenas didn't care about schedules at which the sports was meant to be played. The owners wanted hockey and NBA to create a full event schedule for the arenas ,,, arbitrarily setttling on Schedules that they won't do in the playoffs.

Fans have been brainwashed to think an 82 game schedule is some Magic number. For the best product, it should be in the 60s. But keep up the argument that since owners arbitrarily picked 80 games to fill their arenas, it is the ticket and best for the game.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think that they should play 82... health is important , but who's to say that if they play 76 games that players wont rest. Its about comparative advantage. No one is going to be 100 percent healthy at the end of the season, so it still might be worth it to give a star a game off if you think it improves playoff chances.

Of course with fewer games, every game counts more for seeding.

I'm all for improving the product, but I think there are better ways to do that.
    1) officiating needs to improve. Players STILL get away with flops and phantom fouls. If you cite "improving the product" as a reason for playing fewer games then the officiating and policy on flopping needs to be reworked.

2) go back to a 5 game first series. More upsets, fewer games what's not to like ?

3) they are already doing this, but expand the rosters... more players, more development, more talent, possible longer rotations, more practice bodies, better practices leading to better on-court play.

Frankly, reducing the number of games SHOULD improve the product.. but there are many things that can be done that IMO would improve it more. The NBA used to be fast paced and physical without the perks of sports medicine that we have today.... oh and the players weren't paid that much until the late 90's. Granted, the guys that played in that era had heir bodies pay the price down the line. McHale can barely walk and many others are worn down.

The NBA nowadays is such a players league, guys make millions and get rested. Everybody is friends and there's hardly any physical play. I don't wanna go back to teams completely owning players and running them into the ground, but despite that we had greats during that time period and the game was at its best. I want some of that back. I don't think cutting the number of games is the way to get there , but hey maybe it is... I would still take a look at the officiating and rules first though.

PyroTex and RudyTBag like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Too late to the game. He should have done this earlier. And he should have blown the 3-1 series record up their ass. No matter, we'll get them in the first round.

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Here is my take, and i feel like mine is quite different than most people.

I played all the way up until first year of college, and i've always felt that practices were more way grueling than games. You may only get 2 practices per week when you play 4 games in 5 nights, but you get 4 full practices when you play 2 games in a week.

Players complain about too many games, some players, they are pansies. The game itself is much less intensive than practices. If the NBA just mandated 2 days off a week from a game OR practice, then i'd venture to say there would be fewer players asking for rest or shortening seasons, unless they were the 35 and up crew. Those guys always want rest.

I've never played 82 games a year, but i've damn sure put in way more than 82 practices a year, and that is tiring. Games were barely a sweat in comparison.

heypartner likes this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Dude i still watch curtis mayfield music mix videos with earl the pearl and james brown/sly videos with pistol pete.

Those were my dads 2 favorite players. Im too young to have seen them but they looked as skilled as any players ive ever seen in those videos.

That curtis mayfield superfly video with earl the pearl monroe is the ****. No doubt nba still kicked ass then

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea i don't see what's wrong with resting players anyway

9. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Yes Yes Yes snowconeman22 is definitely got the right idea McHale can hardly walk many other players from that era are the walking wounded . I watched the great Earl Campbell , the other #34, use up a ten year career in 4 years. I saw him in Austin in 1989 , watching him walk hurt My knees.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Do you buy tickets to games?

Its not a big deal to the tv audience but it is a big deal to the ticket buying audience.

My coworker spent 300 on the warriors/spurs game months in advance thinking itd be a big game for seeding.

Its not cool to feel like you were robbed

Its like going to a led zeppelin concert only to find out that jimmy page is hungover and wont be there. Its not cool and makes you feel cheated. You pay to see talent

11. heypartner

Forget the resting. what do you think about a professional sport that doesn't have adequate practice time and game planning all because the original owners treated it more like an entertainment event than competitive sport and arbitrarily chose to implement an 80 game schedule.

What if it is indeed true that NBA teams could roll out much better, honed offenses and defenses, game plans specific to opponents, all because they actually practice multiple time per week, instead of playing, flying around and training table/off-day rest like a Ringling Bros circus schedule, rinse and repeat every weak. What if rookies could be developed faster because more practice and they didn't have to go to dleague just to be coached. What if the game was like the NFL, college bball and Europe where they let you practice and game plan to improve and put out the best product vs a diluted one.

I'm pretty sure teams go weeks at a time, sometimes a full month, with no real practice time. Game isn't meant to be played this way, and the NBA playoff schedule vs regular season schedule kinda proves it.

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I had season tickets last year when they didn't care to even try. Your co-worker, that's the risk of buying tickets, the players might not play. You take that risk when you purchase the tickets, nothing is guaranteed

13. Daddy Long Legs

I agree but that doesnt mean that you cant be bothered when it happens lol

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Baseball is not in the same stratosphere as far as physical demand..plus it's non-contact lol

15. Mr. Space City

The NFL has limited padded practices which has hurt the product. most nfl players can't even tackle in space now.

it sucks but it is what it is now.

i think most people agree that the scheduling is outdated. i mean baseball being over 160 games is absoluteness ludicrous. games being played midday at like noon has always been weird to me.

i think the shorter season solution is not realistic because owners are not going to want to go to that.

i like the solution of shortening the preseason and making the season longer in terms of days and stretching out the season through that period.

so instead of the finals being in june, it could stretch out to august and give the fans less downtime between the end of basketball season to when nfl season starts.

the only problem with that is that it will interfere with summer international basketball competitions like fiba world cup and Olympics.

#55 Mr. Space City, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. heypartner

I don't think they lose money. Like Morey in the podcast, I believe revenue has a good chance of going up if you reduce games to an NCAA, Euro cadence. It is already pretty much fact that the nationally TV contracts would not suffer at all, because you'd still have same amount of TV games. Where is the revenue loss?

I'm not willing to concede saying owners lose money anymore than Morey did. Good chance the only money lost is Concession stand and maybe tickets, and all TV contract, advertising might actually increase. Could be loss in ticket sells doesn't even happen if season ticket holders view less games to be a win, and are fine paying close to same full season rate, at less games. Pretty sure corporate STH wouldn't care if there are less games as they comprise the most no-shows anyhow.

As a STH, I would absolutely pay same amount for less games. I probably save money doing so by not buying any concessions, etc for as many nights.

Anyhoot ... I hope they do a real economic study of this one day.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I wish they would shorten the playoffs, too... Does he discuss that at all? Still feels like just yesterday they extended the first round to seven games, and I face-palmed hard that they were going the opposite direction they needed to. Considering that, I'm guessing owners are incredibly anti-shorten. But maybe that's starting to change.

Either way, this is one reason I love guys like Lebron for sitting some of these games out (coaches like Pop and Kerr, too). Puts a lot of pressure for the NBA to really look into this... It sucks as a fan, but you have to see it from the perspective of a player or coach. The NBA isn't going to pay attention until you sit megastars out on nationally televised nights. Give them some rest and simultaneously make each game matter a little more so guys don't even consider sitting out.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey giving the haters and trolls more fuel. It's a losing battle, the mass majority already declared WB the MVP.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

82 games is not bad. The one thing that really makes it difficult is the traveling part. Cutting it down to 70 would make sense, players would rest a bit more, less travel jet, more days off. I would start the season a month earlier, and with 12 games less, I think players and fans would be more than satisfied.

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea i understand his frustration to pay that crazy resale and then it was a dleague game lol