1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mike & Mike] Morey Podcast on MVP, Winning, Shorter Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 10, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

To me it isn't a Pace thing. The NBA just didn't play defense in the 60s and 70s as after. And that was evident in the league having crappy ratings until Magic and Bird revived it.

The NBA was a crappy product in the 60s.

The level of defensive play has gone up a great deal. Don't know why ppl use the 60s schedule as reason to not improve the game now by injecting it with proper amount of practice time like NCAA, Europe and NBA playoffs.

It's not just a rest issue, it is how proper Practice and game planning can improve the sport...like the playoffs have.

2. dmoneybangbang

Compared to playing at a faster pace throughout a 82 game season? No.

Compared to how defenses switch more often and are constantly scrambling. Not to mention with the reliance on 3 pointers, that spreads the floor out more causing teams to scramble more.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think everyone agrees that there should less back to backs and more consistency, but when you start talking about less games in a season, that's where you lose me.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'd like to see Kevin Martin survive in the 80s when it wasn't "as demanding".

:)

I'd also like to see modern NBA players fly coach instead of first class, like they did back in the day.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. heypartner

If you think they played defense in the 60s and 70s like the league has done since, I don't know what to say. "it's gotta be the shoes" lulz

And you keep bringing up trainers and dietitians when all the sports medicine ppl are saying they play too much and are advising coaches like Pops to rest players. That's been stated several times this year. They are saying that in comparison to others leagues and college.

It's a matter of peak performance, not whether you can do it at entertaining levels.

The NBA was a crappy product with crappy ratings to show for it. Give the league more Practice Time and Game Planning sessions like the playoffs and the product will improve.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I think it is correlated. The increased pace has caused defenses to respond. I do agree that the product and especially defenses were pretty bad up until the 80s and took off in the 90s.

I think injuries to star players and star players being tired in playoffs is an issue along with with being able to better plan and practice in between games.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Who said that? Read it again.

Pop, and who else? How many times have the Rockets sat out to rest this year? Nene for a couple games? Gordon/Ryno for a couple? So?

Is it a crappy product now? Seems pretty amazing to me.

8. dmoneybangbang

And don't forget they had to walk uphill to the arena back in the day! Both ways! ;)

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

NBA players have had this schedule for years and didn't complain nor did they make the $$ they make now.

Michael Jordan at THIRTY-NINE yrs old played all 82 games and played 37 minutes per game.

They just sound like a bunch of whiny @SS b****E$!!

CapelaOnlyFan and RudyTBag like this.
  10. heypartner

There has been multiple mention about sports medicine advising teams about rest from coaches and TV commentators ... heard JVG mention it, MDA, Pops,,,, others here can probably add more mention of this.

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

if we reduce to 75 games, we'll have this argument again and Pop is still gonna rest his players IMO

I don't see it changing anything, unless it gets reduced drastically to like 60 games or less which won't happen

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

And they walked to the arena uphill both ways in the snow without shoes!!1!!1!!

Heh.

So you don't want to be able to extend Harden's prime and thus our window for a championship? You'd rather take a higher chance on him getting injured and shortening our window because NBA players use to eat steel oats for breakfast?

The game has changed and this many back to backs is just too much.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Rest is good. Teams are going to rest their guys If it helps the franchise, no question. Outside of the Spurs, no one really does it much. I remember the 22 win streak Rockets having the mental fortitude to overcome some terrible scheduling, and it was one of the most glorious things I have ever seen. True discipline and professionalism to come out and do your job every single day.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Bingo.

15. dmoneybangbang

You'll never get everyone to agree on the length of the season, therefore it shouldn't be tried?

And if Pop rests his places and still continually has the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league, what does that say about rest and winning?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. heypartner

And what else has been going on for years is the NBA playoffs plays a different schedule (more inline with how the game was intended to be played) because the playoff schedule improves play...more practice, game planning and rest between games.

Name me one other sport that plays significantly less games per week in the playoffs than regular season. It's because the NBA schedule was arbitrarily picked by owners for filling up arenas in the 50s/60s, and was not a serious pro league...and they picked a schedule that they knew wasn't conducive for Peak Perormance in the sport...and the league sucked for years with no defense.

I could care less about why they played 80 games, no one else plays that schedule including the NBA playoffs.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As long as every team plays the same # of games it really doesn't matter. It's their league, they can decide how many to play.

Me personally, I would still love ~82 games but it should be broken down into 58 NBA League games (play everybody twice, home/away) and up to 24 Cup Games where rookies and D-leaguers could play. This let's you keep ~82 "dates" but vets could still get rest on certain Cup games.

I think it would raise the profile of the D-League players and coaches while creating some interesting matches and perhaps some monumental upsets.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To say the league sucked in the 70s is painful to read. Pistol Pete and Dr. J are still two of the most amazing, electric NBA players I have ever seen. The 70s funk after the merger was when the NBA was at its best, IMO. And I think the league is getting back to that.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Hockey...

What do I win?

20. Mr. Space City

this resting players controversy is overblown.