1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Mayock: J.J. Watt Best Five-Technique EVER

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Apr 29, 2011.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

but but but it's fun to overreact.

2. msn

msn Member

you know what sammy, you're right.

it's just that after nine years of clowning around I find it hard to think things are going to be any better. (even though they will almost certainly be "better": the Texans can't lose games that aren't being played at all...)

last year, it looked like they were poised to finally be relevant. they could sign Deion, Reggie White, Jack Tatum, Lawrence Taylor, Lyle Alzedo, Bob Lily, and Ronnie Lott and I still wouldn't feel very confident.

they're going to have to prove something to me. until they show me otherwise, I'm not going to anticipate anything but 5-7 after 12 weeks and ho-hum after that.

1 person likes this.
  3. n_naik1

n_naik1 Member

JJ Watt on one side and Mario Williams on the other.

Where y'all gonna run now??? :eek:

4. MykTek

MykTek Member

i think with Watts and Barwin coming back, our pass rush should be decent this year. I think our DT's will actually play better in this scheme, since most of them aren't really pass rushing DT's anyway...

I do think we need another player in the defensive backfield though, corner or a safety, I think we are alittle then... I'm wishing we would pony up and get asomugha but thats a dream.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wade has been on board for almost 5 months now and I doubt he's been twiddling his thumbs since then.

6. msn

msn Member

yeah but has he worked with Mario? or is cheeze's assertion something Phillips could have learned just by watching tape??

7. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

you pay up? :p

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Ha ha. Not only did they draft a CB in round 2 - they traded up to draft a CB in round 2. I love draft night overreaction hyperbole.

Overall, on paper, I love what the Texans did. That front 7. if Watt and Reed work out, is going to have a lot of flexibility and Phillips is going to be able to throw a ton of different looks at teams. Blitzes are going to be coming from every direction. That opening game with Manning, I hope, will be a classic chess game. And I'm looking forward to Reed knocking PePe in the dirt several times (while Schaub throws 55 times and Foster rushes twice).

And I think it's interesting how, in just one draft, Phillips has already given this defense a bit of an identity, something this defense has NEVER had. They're no longer throwing picks up against the wall and hoping they stick. If they're active in free agency, I think this defense is going to show major improvement. This could be really fun.

9. msn

msn Member

*sticking fingers in ears*

it sounds like it makes sense, but not raising expectations. not. gonna. do it!!!

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yep - happily

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

msn,

Your concerns right after the first round on Thursday were correct and I would normally have been in the same boat as you. However, after watching the whole draft process play out, those concerns have been sufficiently addressed.

Needs going into the draft:

Five technique: Check (J.J. Watt)
    Rush linebacker: Check (Brooks Reed)
    Corners: Check (Brandon Harris, Rashad Carmichael)
    Safety: Check (Shiloh Keo)

Like I've said before on this board, say whatever you want about Wade Philips the coach, but the man straight up knows how to build a solid 3-4 through the draft. Honestly, this might go down as the 2nd best draft in team history after 2005. We have potentially 3 starters Watt, Reed, and Harris. Plus, 2 guys who I think will be good contributors in Keo, and Carmichael. Keo is one of those hardworking full-speed kind of guys who will surprise everyone in training camp. I love his workout at the combine in the drills where he nailed the 20-yard shuttle with absolute relentless hustle. He may only be a special team returner this year, but in the long term will be a good contributor. I think Mayock said that Shiloh reminded him of a poor man's Troy Polamalu.

Lastly, the point about Mario playing OLB has been debated forever on this board. "Can Mario play OLB?" was probably questions 1, 2, and 3 that Philips was asked right after being hired. What I am saying is the Phillips has evaluated that move whether through films or in person, and has reached the conclusion that Mario can play the position effectively. Thus, he opted to take a solid 5-technique in the draft. Philips is keeping it no secret that Mario will rush 90% of time in his system. This isn't the Belichick 3-4 with all blitz schemes and disguised packages. Wade Philips is simply looking to pound the QB with all the personnel he has in the front 7. Manning is his target and he will bring the house down on him. That is why the Colts added 3 new offensive linemen to lock up Manning in the pocket. I loved the chess match going on between Philips and Polian in the draft. Each trying to outdo the other since the Titans and Jags are going to be in rebuild mode the next few seasons.

Anyway, I cannot wait for training camp to start.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Wanted to re look at how texans fans here viewed the pick then.

There will be much crow needing to be served at the dinner table....

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know it's not fair to do this, and hindsight is always 20/20, but......

:)

This is why I never comment on draft picks before they play.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

shoot, all you have to do is look at the draft thread and see the number of posters that "gave up" watching the team after JJ gets picked.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

JJ might go down as the GOAT if he keeps it up. With his work ethic and attitude, the sky is the limit.

Im very scared to see how much money he commands.

10x the player Mario Williams is and Mario made the biggest paycheck a defensive player has ever seen. OH MY!

16. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

JJ will get a good deal. But, Mario had a franchise tag impossible to use, I'd assume JJ gets a good 6 years @ 12-16 per. I wasn't gonna call out peeps names on the board, it was flooded with haters. Besides, none of u r experts, that's y we post on message boards instead of headline espn (who's experts r just as bad)

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

and this part of his first comment:

that offseason they signed Jonathan Joseph and Danieal Manning

and Kareem Jackson improved.

18. MystikArkitect

No one but Buffalo thought Mario deserved that kind of money. He will be the highest paid defensive player in the league, and he will remain a Texan. J.J's 2012 season alone was better than Mario's entire career has been.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He'll absolutely be paid the most. It'll be interesting to see how we strategize around that contract. A part of me seriously thinks the best bet would be cutting guys like Schaub, Foster and even AJ (sigh) - and giving Watt a ridiculous amount of his money that year so it wouldn't hinder the cap much long-term. Seems drastic, and it'd never happen, but you are essentially rebuilding around him for the prolonged future. Might as well reboot with flexibility.

And the timing could be perfect. We have a young, upcoming defense and Cushing and Jackson also need to get paid. Reed eventually too. Build around those guys and refresh things on offense. That's Gary's specialty right? Crazy notion I know, unrealistic I know, but it might be the smartest route to take. Don't patch things during the transition, go for the homerun, amputate the offense and make sure the defense stays intact.

BTW - no clue what AJ, Foster, Schaub's cap hit is that year, but you get the point. Drastic measures to accommodate what will surely be an insane contract. I haven't dived into the numbers and outlook, but I imagine GB is going to be suffocated by Rodgers/Mathews' contracts for awhile. I don't want that.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I just hope others will step up when teams inevitability triple team JJ or if JJ just has a "mere" good season instead of a season for ages like he just had.