1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Mayock: J.J. Watt Best Five-Technique EVER

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

The Brandon Roy of the NFL??

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Traditional 3-4 ends don't need to be elite pass rushers and it's much more important for them to have the ability to do the things you mentioned in your post. From what I'm gathering, it looks like Wade is gonna try Mario some at OLB. If it works out, picking up Watt is almost like adding 2 new starters to the defense (Watt at DE and Mario at OLB). Obviously it's a pretty sizable "if" and I still think we need to add a OLB through the draft for insurance. But we brought in Wade to turn the defense around and I think its only fair for us to give him the tools he needs.

3. msn

msn Member

so he doesn't need a S or a CB?

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

That's what day 2 is for. Best saftey in the draft is still available, as are additional pass rushers. CB's, maybe not, but I'm still hoping the Texans look at FA (Whenever that is) for a CB.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Mario and Antonio were both top 10 in the league last season in QB hurries, so they are getting pressure on the QB, maybe if the secondary could cover anyone for more than a single step those could turn into sacks

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Apparently it is Wade's belief that our more pressing need is in our front 7...

and/or

A dude like Watt was too talented to reach/gamble on a secondary player at our particular position...

I'm willing to see where Wade is going with this without passing judgment, both in terms of his scheme, and in terms of how we draft tonight.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I spent a lot of time looking for hurry/hit stats but couldn't find em.

Care to link it up?

Also, Mario/Smith may have been up there, but where were the Texans as a whole?

8. msn

msn Member

See, this line of reasoning just makes sense to me.

But I'm willing to see where Phillips is going, too. And good thing, since they didn't seek my approval on any of these decisions in the first place. :)

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I guess you were expecting to fill all our needs in the 1st round? Donny's post hit it right on the head IMO.

10. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Probably a better comparison would be the DeJuan Blair of the NFL since Roy was healthy on draft day

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

That's exactly why I called him "a good, traditional 3-4 end"

It was in response to a claim that the Texans picked him to fill a need in terms of the pass rush.

Personally, I don't think Mario is going to last longterm in Wade's system. I think he's a pure 4-3 end, we've already seen Richard Smith try to have him stand up, and his history of injuries don't bode well for the increased pounding he'll see as a 3-4 end. It's not something I say with glee....but the Texans may need to think about trading him now with value.

I'll also say, I have misgivings about Wade's system in general. It's built around creating chaos in the backfield and disrupting the offense's game plan...but it really leaves you vulnerable if teams are ready for that. We saw all of those 8 yd cushions last season.....cushions that are toxic if an offense adjusts by slinging quick slants, outs, and pitches to sidestep a 5-man rush.

Wade's superfocus on the front seven while we have troublesome holes at 3 secondary positions (4 if you keep Quin lined up against #1 receivers) has me all the more concerned.

Again, $10 to the tipjar if the Texans select a DB in the second round tonight. I do not think it's their plan at all.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I doubt Wade would bother drafting him if he didn't think it would help the pass rush. Improving the pass rush doesn't have to mean Watt is the one sacking people, btw. If Wade feels he has enough outside rushers already, then maybe he was looking for someone more consistent for his interior (a consistent interior presence... have we ever had that?). Like I said, I can't judge this because I don't know how Wade intends to put this defense together. All I know is, I love Watt's game, I just have to hope Wade knows wtf he is doing with him.

13. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I have to disagree on that one. Getting the front 7 to be more than just effective is like making a basketball player throw the extra pass. You put pressure up front and it disrupts the offense moreso than secondary play. It's where everything starts and a great line can make up for a lot more. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is, but if a quarterback is consistantly getting 7-10 seconds to throw a ball, someone's open. The word on Watt is that he's great against the run too. Keeping the 3rd and 4, 3rd and 3 situations by stopping early runs would mean less gambling for the secondary that could result in big plays (that or Kareem Jackson falling down and face planting). Either way, I do agree the secondary needs more help, primarily in reaction and speed, but I can't see how having a more disruptive front would not be more importantly.

Moreso, I see a lot of threads about how someone's going to sit and we're not getting a starter, etc. I'm quite positive that the plan is to include all of our players. A 3-4 defense with Mario as a possible rushing OLB is probably more effective than anything else with his stature. Mario has a great dash speed and effective in running down RBs/ etc. He seems to prefer to stay out of the 3 point stand and OLB would allow him to move around and use his speed to generate more momentum. It would also give him more room to get around people and prevent initial double teams. We'll just have to see and find out.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Donny,

I think you've got it. Wade is building a front 7 that can go pell mell every minute they're out there. They will be rotating in and out, and switching schemes from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and then even going with more blitz/rush in passing downs. We've got a high octane offense that can put points on the board. And teams are going to throw the ball on us for two reasons: 1. to get back in games where our offense ran off a couple touchdowns; and 2. because we have absolutely sucked at pressuring the offense. I'm not talking about pressuring the QB. I'm talking about pressuring the whole offense. When you got big monster guys on the front line tying up blockers and you've got ball hawk LBs, it makes it tough to even run the ball. These huge high-motor guys like this kid, they're gonna make a difference.

I'm excited to see who we add today and who we add in free agency. The Texans are the closest team we've got in Houston to a championship. A good defensive draft, like Kiper said, and we could be Super Bowl contenders.
    We're gonna have a much improved defense to go along with a very, very good offense.

15. msn

msn Member

and, exactly when did that happen for us last year? once in 16 games? ;)

Donny, yourself, and others have made some good points, though.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Thanks.

If I didn't like Watt so much and if we didn't have a new DC, I'd probably be right there scratching my head with you guys.

I don't know if it's going to work, but for now, my appreciation of Watt and trust in Wade (or rather, my lack of reasons to doubt him) will carry me through the offseason without losing too much sleep.

1 person likes this.
  17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Another point lost in this debate is the fact that best 3-4 defense oriented players are always rated and drafted below other defenders just because of a relatively smaller number of 3-4 teams in the top 20.

In the weeks leading up to the draft, many mocks projected Watt to the Cowboys at #9 because he fit the Philips 3-4 so perfectly. However, the Cowboys had more pressing needs on the offensive line to protect their biggest asset Tony Romo. So, the only remaining teams where he would fit were Houston (Philips 3-4), New England (Belichick 3-4), or San Diego (Philips). The point is that the value of specialized defenders is hard to properly gauge when only a handful of teams can truly maximize their true potential. There is a reason why both New England and San Diego took a pass on Cameron Jordan the next best available 3-4 end. Watt was on the top of the board for both teams and when he was taken, they went with their alternate selections in Nate Solder and Corey Liuget.

Wade Philips liked what he saw in this kid and took him once Dallas went offensive. This also mean that Philips has evaluated Mario's ability to play OLB and he was convinced that Williams could play a similar role to Demarcus Ware. Lastly, the strategy going forward is very simple like some mentioned earlier, we are going to build a top notch front 7, which is exactly what you do when you build a championship 3-4 defense. Look at the Patriots in their Superbowl runs taking Seymour, Warren, Wilfork in consecutive draft or even the Packers picking Hawk, Harrell, Matthews, and Raji in straight drafts. Our secondary should be addressed with a safety Rahim Moore in the 2nd round or another corner in the 3rd today.

18. msn

msn Member

cheeze, I hear what you're saying--but when did Phillips get a chance to evaluate Mario's ability to play OLB?

19. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

I think that the Texans have to get veteran cb's instead of rookie who have not proven themselves in the nfl. I know the Texans have never backed the truck up for a player but maybe this is the year. Keep hope alive!

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

But but but I've never heard of him!!!11!

The negativity around here is getting ridiculous. Yes I understand that we had a crappy season but there's no reason to get all flustered until the off-season is complete. Or at least wait until our day 2 picks are in to go all crazy.