1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike James vs. Luther Head, who should get the minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 4, 2008.

?

Who should be the backup 2?

1. Mike James

28.8%
  2. Luther Head

71.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that Mike James is capable of turning around his season and shooting at least as well as Luther Head is shooting.

If Mike James commits to playing the team game, I believe he brings more to the table than Luther.

MJ is a better defender, better passer, better ball handler, plays bigger....and can get his own shot.

I know Luther has had a better season, but honestly, I just don't think he is anything more than a 6'2" gunner......

I believe it is time to give Mike James Luther's minutes, and see how he performs.

So, who do you guys think should be getting the backup 2 guards minutes.

Mike - I can penetrate too - James

or

Luther - I can stroke it - Head

You make the call.

DD

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

I would have James getting the minutes over Head but the both suck. Wish Francis would get his **** together.

3. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

As the season pans out, I think he'll work his way back in. He just needs to show some interest and focus, and play a team game.

4. DaDakota

Pop, I agree but I am assuming Francis and his knees are shot....

For some reason, I think Mike James can get it together, he may well be traded, but after watching Luther, it is clear to me that he is just not going to get it done.....

He is bad on defense, bad as a passer, and can't create his own shot....

And the team needs someone that is better than him at all of that...especially in the 2nd unit.

DD

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

DD, I agree with everything you said about both players in your post.

Except I don't think Mike James will be the player he CAN be. But I do think Head can be a 6'2" gunner (mixing in good cuts to the basket).

I think Head's turnovers cancel out James's random, sometimes selfish plays.. so without those 2 factors, I'll take the known that is Head's scoring and spreading of the floor over James's unknown possibility of playing big, shooting better than he has been, etc. (and his definite of defending better)

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

Francis just needs to bite the bullet and go see T-Mac's doctor in Waco who is great at fixing muscle problems. If that doesn't work. It's surgery time cause at that point, his career is over without it.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

James has the ability to be a decent defender...certainly better than Luther...but he gives zero effort. It's like he's sleepwalking out there. All he does is dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot. He actually reminds me of Moochie Norris right now. It's sad. I don't know if it's because he got his contract or because he is pissed about his lack of meaningful minutes or what, but Mike James is a shell of the player that he was when he played here the first time around.

As bad as Luther can be, I would rather have him out there than someone that just doesn't try anymore.

8. DaDakota

Cool, and I concur that the flaw in my argument is that Mike James has flat out sucked this year.

:D

I just think based on his historical averages that he can pick it up...and become a Bobby Jackson type of player off the bench.

DD

9. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Where's the option for neither? Trade them both.

10. DaDakota

Not bad, and it would be fun, but I am assuming that there is no trade available.....

DD

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ball movement is usually dead when Mike James gets in there. Also, Head doesn't jack up shots for the sake of getting a shot off. Head has shot the ball well and James has not. If Francis was not injured, Mike James would be behind him. Mike James = Steve Francis back in the day. ISO, dribble dribble dribble dribble, jack up a shot.

12. DaDakota

So far, but the last few games when he has gotten in there, he has been more about playing within the offense and less about getting his own shot....

DD

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is tough, because I was as high on Mike James as anyone to start the year, but he's disappointed. More than the offense, his lack of attentiveness on defense has really bothered me. I don't remember him playing that way the last time he was here. Luther is a poor defender, all things considered, but I think Mike has been worse.

I do expect Mikes a better shooter than he's shown, and with more consistent playing time that should start to show. I think he's a better ball-handler and finisher than Luther. Probably a better passer as well (though that's not a strength in either of their games).

I would probably stick with Luther, at least until Tracy comes back and we can really evaluate the complete rotation when its healthy. The chemistry and outside shooting does seem to have improved since he replaced Mike in the rotation. Can't discount that.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Really? The limited minutes that I saw him play he was still dribbling too much and missing shots. I don't think he's coming around.

Mike James of '05>>>>>>>>>>>>> Luther
    Mike James of '08<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Luther

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think the only way Mike James can be effective is if he dominates the ball. I don't think he does well as a role player. He needs to be in a situation like his time in Toronto where he was a main option. Mike James '05 was a good role player but he isn't that Mike James anymore. Now, its Mike James aka "The Hood version of MJ" aka "The Prostitute" aka "Mr. Me Against the World" aka "New-Pac Shakur". Although, I think he could have been a 3rd Scorer if JVG was still coach. That offense suits him better than this one.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

James also hasnt produced anything significant in those minutes to make anyone excited about giving him more playing time. If you look at the stats for the year Luther is averaging slightly less turnovers per game than James in about the same amount of time played. I don't really consider either guy to be a lock down defender, James is better though. Luther counters that by better movement without the ball, and rarely forcing up bad shots. Personally I would rather see Brooks get a chance to fill the Bobby Jackson role than James at this point. Head on the other hand is more like Steve Kerr, John Paxson, Craig Hodges, ect. Keep in mind that guard minutes are going to be going down when Tmac returns. So the better question is: Will Brooks or Head be seeing more time on the court once Tmac returns? So far Head has still been getting significantly more minutes than Brooks, and until Brooks outside shooting picks up that may remain the case.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

They should trade one and let that decide that... but I'll stick with the same thing I said last year: Mike James is the best of Luther Head without the inability to make a post pass.

Of course, that was when James could hit a shot -- and Luther had been coming on strong with his jumper. Tough call.

I'll trust Adelman for now and say he knows what he's doing in all but permabenching James. He obviously gave him a shot. But if it's just because his shot isn't falling, then I think James should be given another shot to see if he can heat up.

Ultimately though, I think he'll be the one traded because the 'T-Mac has no beef with James' thing, confirmed by JVG and <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1413/t-mac_speaks_out_on_rockets/">stated by T-Mac emphatically</a> no less, turned out to be false.

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

mike james will defintely get his chance to return to the rotation. face it, hes probably our 4th best scorer behind Bonzi. u cant let that kind of talent get away without giving him another chance. adelman knows this and he's hoping james can play more within the system.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

At this point I don't know that many teams would be willing to take on James contract if we did decide to trade him. Certainly it is hard to imagine getting anything of value for him.

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

James sucks and he is and always has been as 12 ppg scorer. He gives you nothing cause he's a black hole where the ball goes in and never comes out. Timberwolves got rid of him for a reason and he got benched in favor of Randy Foye at Minnesota. Randy Foye!!! HAHAHA That tells you how good Mike James is.