1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Hampton....think he'll bounce back with the Braves or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htownhero, Feb 15, 2003.

?

How do you think Hampton will do this year?

1. 20+ game winner

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. 15-20 game winner

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. around .500

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. He's done

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

As a Braves fan, I can't help but think he will. Plus of his 84.5 million deal, the Braves only have to pay 48.5 of it. (Colorado and Florida split the rest) You guys should know him better than anyone from his time in Houston, so what do you think?

#1 Htownhero, Feb 15, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hampton is a great competitor and probably the best athlete that's a pitcher. His hitting and fielding will be good as usual. With Colorado he lost something, either physical or mental. If it was strictly mental, he'll come back and win 15-20 games, if it was physical, he won't be a quality pitcher until they determine what's wrong.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

With the great pitching around him, and the fantastic Braves pitching coaching, Hampton will return to some sort of dominance. Probably not a 20+ game winner, but I'd say 17 games or so. 17-8 record would be pretty solid.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he will be closer to .500 this season, but that will be because he will get off to a slow start. He will close out the season strong and be a quality rotation guy for the Braves for the rest of that contract.

5. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

He'll be back. Atlanta always signs has-beens and injects some life into them...

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I agree. Being around Maddux and Smoltz will rub off on him and he will be the Mike Hampton of old

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I could pitch in that park and get around a 4.00 ERA. It is HUGE!

However, Hampton won't regain the form he had in 1999... but he will rebound just like Kile did.

8. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

hampton's washed-up

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

I dunno if he's washed up. He could very well bounce back. Especially with the Braves pitching coaches...

I know the Astros could use him...

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think the Astros could use the Brave's pitching coaches.