1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mihm Hires Agent, cant return to Texas

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MManal, May 26, 2000.

1. MManal

MManal Member

There's no turning back: UT's Mihm hires agent
    By Mark Rosner
    Austin American-Statesman

Posted: May 26, 2000

Former University of Texas basketball star Chris Mihm hired an agent Thursday, making official his decision to leave school after his junior season.

Underclassmen who submitted their names for the NBA draft have until June 21 to withdraw their names -- if they do not have an agent.

Mihm, a 7-foot center projected as a top-five pick, signed with Jeff Austin, the Washington, D.C.-based agent who represents the San Antonio Spurs' David Robinson and Detroit's Jerry Stackhouse. Austin is the brother of former tennis star Tracy Austin.

Mihm and his family had spoken with other agents, including David Falk, before making a decision.

"It was a long interview process," Mihm said. "These are really good guys, and I like what they are doing for their clients. They've done some work for Grant Hill on endorsements in the past."

Mihm should be busy before the June 28 draft. He might go to Chicago next week to work out for the Bulls, who have the No. 4 pick. Still uncertain is when Mihm will work out for New Jersey, which has the No. 1 pick but needs to hire a coach and director of basketball operations.

"We're going to wait a little while to work out for New Jersey," Mihm said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm confused as to why a player needs an agent before the draft. It seems to me that it's a terrible business decision. The money is the same for all draft picks for the most part. It's almost set in stone for Mihm. So what's an agent really going to do before the draft anyway? Without one you have so many more options. If you get drafted by a team, owner, or coach you don't like then you return to school and re-enter... right? I don't see that as fair for the team that drafted you, but I see that as a good decision. It gives you an option. An out if, for example, you don't want to play in Vancouver. The only thing I'm wondering is if teams are afraid to draft a player that deosn't have an agent???

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

An agent can set up and make sure the workouts go smoothly, try to drum up endorsement deals (not just the sneaks) and basically, handle all the crap that would otherwise have to go through a player or a player's parents or a player's uncle or...

These guys have to jump through a ton of hoops, if they're definitely staying in the draft, an agent will deal with it and make it go smoothly.

------------------

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure an agent would help "convince" a team to draft his/her client...

------------------
    Kobe needs to get off his finace and get off on Pippen

5. Panda Byte

Panda Byte Contributing Member

From what I understand they can't go back to school once they're drafted. They have to withdraw one week before the draft to still be eligible for school or else they're stuck with whatever happens.

------------------

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

PSJ,

Maybe to negotiate a shoe contract.

Order your "GWH" Nikes early!!!

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

didnt vashon leonard go back to school when he was drafted my the bucks ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Panda has it right, I don't know about Leonard unless the rules have changed. If you are not drafted you can return if you have not hired an agent. If you don't withdraw your name by the 21 and you are drafted you are done in the NCAA.

------------------

9. CaucasionSensation

Hey guys long time no see! Couple months anyway!

Recently I was talking to my long-time freind Jason Klotz. Klotz the 6-11 center from Klein Forest is going full ride to Texas next year, along with Duncanville (overrated) All-American Brian Boddicker. The last time we talked Mihm had as yet not made a decision. Klotz from our conversations and things I've heard second hand, hoped Mihm would stay for his senior year. It seems that now Klotz will be thrust more quickly into the spotlight.

Klotz believes he is still growing and right now he is 6-11. He has always had an ability for making excuses but it seems that now that is behind him. As was evidence by his dominating performance the high school 5-A playoffs. It will be very interesting to see how he fills Mihm's shoes next year! Anyway that's my angle.

I think Texas is looking for the near future without Mihm, but have no predictions as far as next year.

------------------