1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mid year Review ( Almost)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Jan 7, 2007.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

This is after the Minnesota game. Our record stands as follow

Overall 21-13
    Western Conference 10-11
    Home Record 12-3
    Road Record 9-10
    Division 5-2

Two positive things- here are our Division and Home Record. The win against San Antonio was a highlight. Utah would be the best Home win ( IMHO).

The road record- needs improvement. Some of these losses came in the brutal stretch of games out west that were close- the Lakers game ( OT loss) and the Portland Loss were without Tracy and when Bonzi was just making his appearance.

It is important that we need to appreciate that – thus far, we have had the most number of games on the road. Here are the others that matter ( home /road)- Dallas ( 19/15), Phoenix ( 16/16), Utah ( 16/18), San Antonio ( 18/17), Lakers ( 19/14), Houston ( 15/19). Minny ( 16/16), Denver ( 14/14)

We are 6 games behind in the Western Conference. That is not exactly bad considering what we are going through with Injuries. Hopefully Kirk and Bonzi will be back in a week and win us some close games.

Here is the updated differential PER of our team ( and for Juwan Fans this is after his recent spurt in scoring)

PG -1.6
    SF +2.2
    SG + 3.3
    PF -5.3
    C + 10.6

What is surprising is that we are doing better at the SG spot and the PG spot is not that bad ( and this needs a little bit more analysis). While the PER at PF spot is better we are still negative 5.3.

I really don’t see JVG drop Juwan. What we may settle for is to increase our advantage at the SG/SF position and live with Rafer. I don’t see Rockets pursuing a High Caliber PG and frankly we just cannot get a veteran PF this year- unless we get some CBA or NBDL stud who breaks out.

Where are Scott Padgett and V span? Where is our 3rd Option?

Overall I was pleasantly surprised to see the true picture of our record. With a rejuvenated Tracy, a healthy Kirk and hopefully Yao by All star break- we do have a shot. IF this year we don’t make trades with Sura’s contract / TE etc- I really don’t think we are going to be deep enough to face a Utah, SA or Dallas ina 7 game series easily. Frankly Bonzi, Vspan and Novak should also be trade fodder- as it appears they will not be playing big minutes. I hate to lose Bonzi – but if we do not have a shot at getting him long term, it is better to part now. I think Tracy’s return, may have prevented a dramatic change in the roster. I am glad he is back- but that just camaflouges our problems.

2. windfern

windfern Member

The one thing I'm confident about is that Tmac's back is ok. When Yao comes back, we're as solid as a rock.

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

It's not that surprising that our PER is lowest at PF. Most teams are loaded at PF and have a crappy center. We have an awesome center in Yao, which means we spend less on our power forwards, who are in turn compared to the league's awesome PFs.

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Doesn't matter who we beat/lose to as long as we have a decent record when Yao gets back I will be happy.

I don't think our bench is deep enough to be a championship team either BUT impossible is nothing. :cool:

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Last year and the year before we were so good on the road and this year we struggle. Weird?

And seriously where have Padgett and Vspan gone? They don't get any minutes whatsoever.

We have such a good record yet we are #6... I hate the west.

6. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

I think before the trade deadline comes Rafer will be gone... as much as i like his personality on this team he just doesnt shoot well enough in crunch time and has the tendency to jack up shots from the outside even when theres a better shot availiable for his teammates... the fact that yao is gone has a little voice in his head that says "Yo rafe yo god stop buggin yo... and shoot the f*ckin ball son" and well he doesnt need to listen to that little voice any longer...

Rafe... ur f*ckin up

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

the Rockets will never be "solid as a rock"

unless one day the basketball gods morph them into the Spurs...

or something similar.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i dont think you can lump utah in there with dallas and san antonio, or phoenix for that matter. those are the 3 teams to beat.

utah should be on the 2nd rung, but with our current roster (a healthy yao), we are as well.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm shocked that our SG PER isn't higher with tmac and luther playing there. unless luther is considred the backup PG (which might be why we aren't so bad at the 1).

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Rockets are an entertaining team, a huge improvement over last year and with the exception of the team that took Dallas to game seven, a huge improvement over the teams of the last ten years. Championship contender? In your heart you know that they would have to get very lucky to beat out the elite teams of the West. Their role players are much better than our role players, and that is a huge mountain to overcome. Possible, yes; probable, no. I do enjoy watching them though, with the exception of Alston. I breathe a sigh of relief every time he makes a shot, which isn't very often.

11. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

The review is nice, well, maybe a little bt early. Could be more accurate after the brutal stretch before Portland.

12. anitasri

anitasri Member

I beg to differ- with a dominant PF, a Star PG if they just add more shooting, Utah is a formidable opponent come play off time. Jerry Sloan as a coach is not a slob either

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I heard the Wolves commentator were saying we are 10-2 against the east and 10-10 against the west. Make it 10-11 after ths loss to Minny. First, fxxk the wolves for disrespecting us. We will destroy them once Yao's back. I hate that camel moused Mark Blount.

Now, objectively, 10-11 against west is not too appealing.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

You heard this joke before, right? If not, here it it. What's the difference bewteen a dollar and the spurs. A dollar has 4 quarters and the spurs only have 3.

15. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Rockets could always pull a lakers and sign badass studs for cheap.

Vince carter...chauncy billups...kG...who knows. Tmac can pull for all those guys to come here for the vet min. now if that happened, WE would be the bball gods. one can dream right?

16. anitasri

anitasri Member

No excuses - we have a terrible track record against the western conference ( BTW Dallas Leads 19-6)- our division record is much better at 5-2.

Of the losses- Golden State ( last minute 3 pointer), Lakers ( 2 OT), Portland were road games we should have won ( without T Mac)

OF course the early losses to Utah and NOK does not help either.

We just dont match up will with Phoenix!

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

On the positive side, the win over Dallas, Spurs, Utah, and golden state were all crushing, and the losses were nail-biters.

18. Matador

Matador Member

anitasri: I like the review a lot. Good job.

Do you have any specific players that you are wanting to trade for?

19. anitasri

anitasri Member

Thanks. What I want- and what JVG and Managment will do are two separate issues.

I would be thrilled if we can get Andre Miller for the PG. Mo Pete would add to bench depth. And/or Melvyn Ely as a back up PF if he really can play like Chuck Hayes- as the enforcer!

Obviously I will be for trading Rafer+ Sura and Use our TE . Scott Padgett will be the casualty though!

Anyone is the same calibre would be fine too. I will be celebrating if we Trade Juwan's contract- not a hater, but that is our biggest hole!

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree completely with your possible trades. The only other point guards the Rockets could target are Earl Watson (unlikely) and Steve Francis (why?).

The Rockets should be willing to sacrifice to get these pieces. These are players who have been mentioned as on the block.

Bonzi is expendable in any trade, that much should be obvious. He is a value chip. I personally feel Battier is also expendable. He's a great teammate, and all that, but not a difference-maker. He does not have a true position. I could say the same thing about Head.

Trades are cold, and most bbs fans are incapable of calculating without personal attachment to players. The best teams trade satisfactory for excellent.