1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Microsoft SUCKS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocks_fan, May 6, 2008.

1. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Sorry but I've got to vent.

I got my 'Box on launch date and it got RROD'd about a year later. No problem though, I sent it off, they fixed the old Box and sent it back to me. A little over a month ago I get an E-74. I called them, they sent me the shipping stuff, and I sent off the Box. I get it right back saying it has been tampered with and that they weren't going to fix it. After almost 3 weeks of run around, I find that their "proof" consists of a seam where the two halves of the case meet, a scratch on the case where the serial number is, and that the silver sticker next to the disc drive door had been damaged. Now, this machine is 2 1/2 years old. Cases are meant to house and protect the machinery, Damage is going to accumulate on it. Molded plastic is not impervious to regular wear and tear. And then, when I checked the "damaged sticker" I saw that there was a bit of dust accumulation on it. I wipe it off, and the sticker looks brand new. No damage, not even a fray at the edge. I have no idea what they figure is "damage" to the sticker. The seam has always been there due to, as far as I can tell, a manufacturing problem that didn't keep them from fixing it when it got RROD'd

I find it ludicrous that I'm stuck with an 8 pound paperweight because the morons who came up with these regulations don't or won't take the age of the machine into account. And I know customer service won't help, because if you ask them something that isn't explicitly covered in the little "choose your own adventure" style manual ("if that ask this, turn to page 48") that they all have by their phone, they freeze up like a deer in the headlights before spouting off some empty platitude. If this is the way Microsoft handles all their products, remind me to make my next gaming machine Sony and my next computer an Apple. They might not have all the bells and whistles, but they've got to take care of their customers better than this.

Basically, if you've got a 360, keep it wrapped in bubble wrap and for God's sake make sure that it is kept in pristine condition externally because Microsoft will use any excuse to deny service.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

cue the ps3 fanboy in 5....

3. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

Sucks for you.

Mine got the "open tray" error last month. Never modded, never used a bootleg game. Since only the RROD is 3 years it's not even covered and they want $100 for repair. I think I'll just find me a core system instead of going thru that hassle.

What's worse is that I haven't even played GTA IV or the new Halo3 maps yet :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I hate MS too, but I got my 360 from Costco. I've had a few problems over the years, but I never fret over it. Just pack it up and exchange it for a brand new one if anything goes wrong. My latest one even has HDMI :cool:

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you cannot appeal the decision? they might be claiming this on a certain % no matter wat.

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

Calling XBox is about the worst customer service I have ever had.

Aside from the fact they can hardly speak English, and its sounds like they are talking to you from the bottom of a well, they just have no idea what to do when you ask them a question they haven't been instructed how to answer.

For instance....CANCEL MY ACCOUNT. Just cancel it. Why is that so difficult to understand?

How about Delete my profile so I can make a new one. I wont use the old one. NO....NO.....I don't want you to gabble on to me, just delete my profile damn it!

The only reason I wasn't worried about buying my Xbox last week is because I knew by now they'd have worked out most of the problems with faulty systems. Otherwise I wouldn't have got it simply because dealing with MS is like pulling teeth!

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does Microsoft outsource their phone support to India like Linksys?

Yes, those India support people follow their instruction lists by the book from my dealings with them. There is no room for short-cuts. It's step-by-step. It can be kind of frustrating because their solutions end up taking a while to come out. Then, you reflect back on the experience and think "ah...could have just done this, this, and this" and it would have been fixed. Instead, you find yourself on step 35 out of 50 waiting to get to the end. By the time I'm done with them on one phone call, I'm about ready to jump off a bridge. I'm sure they have step-by-step instructions on how to do that as well. lol

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Wal-Mart Switcheroo. Let Wal-Mart and MS hash it out.

9. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I know someone who had the same problem. But he fixed it by wrapping the xbox in towels, turning it on, letting it overheat. Wait for it to get really hot and also the 2 red lights must be blinking, then he turned it on and it worked again. It will sometimes still mess up, but you can do that process over again and it will work.

10. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Oh and also remove the HDD and game before the overheating process.

11. TraJ

TraJ Member

I did that with a Rio Nitrus mp3 player once. The one I received in the exchange still works fine.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Their version of an appeal is to send me to their supervisor who insisted that a scratched case represented "tampering" and that they were not going to repair my 360 no matter what.

I don't know what's more annoying about their customer service line: the people who barely understand and speak English or the annoying over-cheerful automated line you have to go through before anyone at MS will deign to speak with you.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Don't try that at Fry's, they actually match up SN on the box to the unit.

14. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

frys has gotten screwed in so many ways from customers, whether it be swapping old processors or old motherboards, they've learned a hard lesson.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

This is why I got a Wii. Its games may never live up to Halo or GTA standards, but at least I don't have to deal with all the malfunctions and all that.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

keep trying and call them. sometimes you'll find a cooler person.
    kinda like directv, they'll hook you up if you find the right rep.

i didn't run into anyone from india when i called.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asian?

18. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

This is why I said do it at Wal-Mart. In fact, I have a few friends who have done it, and it involves opening the case and swapping the guts. Maybe someone can expand on the subject.